What have I done? Crazy old woman musings

Only 9,923.5 hours to go! At the rate I'm going, I'll become a master guitarist about the same time I die. (I'm actually keeping a practice log, so this is actually pretty accurate.) Seriously, if I can play at church or for a few friends and not sound like a complete idiot, I'll be happy.

I figure the 10,000 hour mark is something you can look at a couple of ways.

1) "I'll never get there, it's so far"
2) ""I may not get there, so I don't have to beat myself up about not being as good as [expert who's spent 10k+ hours]"

I like option 2 better. Your goal is a great one.

I figure the 10,000 hour mark is something you can look at a couple of ways.

1) "I'll never get there, it's so far"
2) ""I may not get there, so I don't have to beat myself up about not being as good as [expert who's spent 10k+ hours]"

I like option 2 better. Your goal is a great one.

Nah, 10k hours isn't necessary. For rock & roll all you need is a handful of chords, a loud amplifier (it should go to 11), a lot of distortion, and an attitude.

Like the song says,....
You don't have money or a fancy car
And you're tired of wishing on a falling star
You got to put your faith in a loud guitar

Nah, 10k hours isn't necessary. For rock & roll all you need is a handful of chords, a loud amplifier (it should go to 11), a lot of distortion, and an attitude.

Like the song says,....

The 10k hour theory is around becoming a master at a skill. That was referencing Judy's statement earlier in the thread about how some of the guitarists she admires probably played for 20 years (and >10k hours) to get where she knew who they were.

I agree with you - there's no need to get that much to be able to still be good enough to have fun.

Like the song says,....
I thought it was:
Get a second-hand guitar
Chances are you'll go far
If you get in with the right bunch of fellows

The 10k hour theory is around becoming a master at a skill. That was referencing Judy's statement earlier in the thread about how some of the guitarists she admires probably played for 20 years (and >10k hours) to get where she knew who they were.

I agree, I'm just having fun. You won't become Christopher Parkening or Joe Satriani in a few weeks with a few chords. Angus Young, OTOH,.... ;)

You, too, can be a rock star with just G, A, and D!

Reactions: Ted
Hey @judypilot, I'm the most musically uninclined person there is. I had a Latin teacher famous for saying, "knowledge makes a bloody entrance". I think of him every time I practice! 30 years ago I tried to pick up guitar. It was a short endeavor. I remember using my right hand to move my left hand fingers, and when I couldn't even do that, figured it wasn't in the cards. Not helping, I have small hands. For the peanut gallery about to weigh in, that myth is about foot size. In any case, I've been driving my wife crazy with my self-directed piano lessons as I play the same material over and over again. Well, we just bought a boat. I'm all about consistency in life. I don't want an imbalance in wife audial pain, so I've started self-directed guitar lessons which I can practice on the boat. A nephew swears by Guitar Tricks so I'm giving that a try. I'm also using a small neck guitar for those with small hands which didn’t exist 30 years ago. Life is such online, at your own pace lessons makes most sense for me. I'm watching this thread as I'm eager to learn from your experience.

Like the song says,....
Well, as you have no doubt guessed by now, I do not have a shortage of attitude.

I am seriously thinking about getting an electric guitar, though.

Whatever, I am having fun (except when I try to do the F barre chords--still not fun).

Bought my first guitar at age 15 . Mail order from Sears-Roebuck. F hole arch top, it made my fingers bleed developing calluses. Terrible neck like a fence post.
at age 19 and at Fort Ord California, got a weekend pass and went into Monterey . First place I walked by was a guitar store. There hanging in the window was a Gibson ES 225 electric guitar. I went in and gave the shop most all of my pay check , $50 to hold it till I could get money from home bank.
I had my Dad with draw the last $200 I had saved from a summer farm job. He was a bit mortified that I would spend every cent I had on a guitar.
I packed that guitar around for 7 years from place to place. Met a lot of fellow wantaby guitar players learned a lot from each. Now 68 years later I am still learning. Have some video posted on Face book and one on U tube . Posted under Ernest Taft. If you want a laugh and broken ears look me up.
Tommy Emanual is my latest inspiration.
So its never too late to learn .
I bought my Cessna 172 at age 79 , now 83 and still enjoy flying and picken and grin'n.
Both keep the mind working well.

Back