What happens if you don't get a pilot slot?

ShaggyAce

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ShaggyAce
If you join AFROTC and commission after you graduate but don't qualify for a pilot slot, can you reapply for a slot during active duty? Are you put on a waiting list? If so, how long before your are called up? Can you still earn your pilot ratings while serving without a pilot slot? What would be the total service commitment for someone if they are not a pilot?

Before you go too far down that path, define "Pilot Slot". Flying piloted aircraft, or UAVs?

There's a reason they're calling it the "Chair Force" these days... find some folks who work at Creech and ask them if they're filling "Pilot Slots".

(Not making a judgement call on whether or not this is good or bad, just reminding the young man that "pilot slot" in the modern Air Force can mean a whole lot of button-pushing at a desk. A very high-tech desk.)

I would want to fly heavies more than anything. C-17s :)

your post is also why i'm contemplating civilian training more and more

You should also look at the USCG. They are short fixed wing pilots these days and are having some of the rotor boys go back and requal in fixed wing.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, ShaggyAce. Just saying be careful.

Unless they've changed the way they do business, you know before you commit (usually at the end of your sophomore year, earlier if on scholarship) if you are qualified for pilot training based on your aviation aptitude tests and physical exam. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but it's pretty near certain. Usually the worst thing that happens is there are no slots open at the particular time you graduate (big wave of new lieutenants every June, and the training snake can't swallow that bowling ball of people) and you get sent to a temporary assignment (often puttering around a real flying squadron) until a slot opens a few months later -- and you'll probably know before you graduate when that will be.

If you aren't pilot-qualified on graduation, they'll send you to do something for which you are qualified. After that, it's not likely you'll ever get pilot training unless the requirements change, or there's a change in your own status (e.g., medical issue being resolved) or the needs of the service. If that happens, and you're not already in another field they consider more critical at the time, and you're not too old at that point, you may get selected, but the chances are a lot slimmer.

As for earning civilian pilot certificates and ratings while serving in a non-pilot billet, that's pretty much the same as it would be in any nonflying civilian job. If you have the spare time and the spare money, go right ahead. In fact, you'll have the advantage of the Air Force Aero Club system to find cheaper, more convenient civilian flying, usually on base. Those FAA tickets won't count a lot for the Air Force, but they may help convince a selection board of your dedication to flying and innate ability to fly if it comes down to you versus someone who hasn't gone that route.

Finally, for service commitment for non-pilot officers, I don't know exactly what it is today, and it does change from time to time, but in the past, it was usually around four years active duty plus two more in the inactive (non-drilling, non-pay) reserve.

Good luck finding an aeroclub on base these days.

Yep, 4 years for no pilot slot as an LT. However, what Cap'n Ron is talking about is the "casual" LT program - which has been scrapped for extra cash. If you have a pilot slot and you have to wait on UPT, now you are basically cleared off with a "we'll call you when you get a UPT date" and you are an adult with no job. Nice.

You can reapply on AD for a UPT slot if you don't get one in college. I know a lot of people who got there, but it's not an easy road. (i.e. tougher than getting one on the first round in college) Plus, then you are in the "late-rated" field which puts you behind the 8 ball for everything from promotion to assignments. Do your best to get one in college. Still no guarantee that you won't get a UAV.... :(

If you can't handle Aero Club rules, you won't be able to handle military flying, either. Guess that would make a good selection point...
That's why I didn't go into the military :) You can't even fly one of their aircraft without a flightplan being filled out and having it approved. Even to the practice area. No thanks.

Late 80s experience probably not relevant now. Close relative graduated AFROTC, commissioned regular but slight vision problem precluded pilot route. Went to navigator school & electronics warfare. Did Well. Admitted to pilot training. Flew C-130s. Is now a full bird colonel.

'Twas that Randy? Did UPT with my wife.

And don't let Jesse scare too many folks. I did plenty of aviating equivalent to 'round-the-patch style flying while on a military flight plan. 80,000 cubic miles all to myself sometimes (Funny, I always seemed to avoid much above 1,000 AGL, so wasted a good portion of that volume!). Thank you for your tax dollar support!

Last edited:
That's why I didn't go into the military :) You can't even fly one of their aircraft without a flightplan being filled out and having it approved. Even to the practice area. No thanks.

I took a look and that was the only thing that looked weird to me. There's a big note there about how this is your "PLANNED" flight though. So I wonder how often the PLAN isn't the same as the FLIGHT.

It sounded like they wanted to know where there plane was more than anything.

The reason you have to have a flight plan is because there is an AFI that says every flight that departs an AF base must be on a flight plan. They don't really care if you follow it, they're just following rules.

The reason you have to have a flight plan is because there is an AFI that says every flight that departs an AF base must be on a flight plan. They don't really care if you follow it, they're just following rules.
If you've read Jesse's posts, you'll see he isn't big on "just following rules." That's why I think it's probably best for both Jesse and the Air Force that he didn't go this route.:wink2:

If you've read Jesse's posts, you'll see he isn't big on "just following rules." That's why I think it's probably best for both Jesse and the Air Force that he didn't go this route.:wink2:
There are many reasons I didn't join the Air Force. That is one of them.

No worries, when the alien invasion happens, and the air force magically has more aircraft then fighter pilots, they'll come knocking.

I fly a government owned aircraft on government business and frequently stop at military airfields and joint use fields as well. Regardless of the service and that includes the Coast Guard, if you use the Base Operations facility, you aren't leaving without a flight plan being filed. Just the way it goes. It's not the worst thing in the world.

There is more to it....for example, if you are in their club and want to fly a cross country, you need to submit for approval at least 3 days before you depart. The club manager and chief flight instructor both need to approve it. Not my style.

There is a local flight school in Lincolnhttp://www.performanceaircraftsales.com that requires you get the keys every time from a flight instructor. Which is a major hassle if you want to fly last minute and kind of silly to make an instructor drive to the airport just to hand you keys. Because of that I don't do business with them. Their airplane, their rules. My money, my choice. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Back