What happens at your aviation safety meetings?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Tonight at our monthly meeting, we had a talk about a couple of accidents, both local - one fatal, and one involved the presenter.

The fatal was a local who had flown about 4-5 years, owned a Bonanza and had a pt 135 operation with it. He had gone to a NM aerobatics school and soon after that, was reported to be doing aerobatics in the Bonanza - mostly rolls and not just a few - more like hundreds of times. The accident involved a double roll at very low level over the runway.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X08609&key=1

The presenter said in his accident (the second one), he was flying towards a ridge in clear air, then hit microburst and could not fly away: (note the pilot's total time....and that was 30 years ago, he still flies a lot today!)
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=45424&key=0
Nice vid on microburst (from the 80's I'd guess) followed.

We also watched a great Blue Angels video from the 60's it seemed, with a lot of details and onboard cam; wow!

Another cool one was a vid of a presenter's travels from Alaska deep into Mexico, chasing a Peregrine falcon on its' migration. The falcon had a radio collar and they used a 172 with strut-mounted antennae to track it. Great stories of their adventures across the continent and learning more about this neat animal.

Dave, I wish ya wasn't 700 miles across the state. These sound like some great meetings to attend.

c'mon down, y'all! I've been known to fly 1000 miles for silly things like good food, camaraderie. Wait..... those are the important things!

Yeah, but it has more dirt and black gold than Casa de Obama. :)
This ain't the spin zone, great as Barak and Michelle are!:yes: We ain't talking Jed Clampet here, even if Jethro's got the throne!:goofy:

(And seriously, any more semi-political talk, and we should move this to SZ. Where I almost never go!:hairraise:)

This ain't the spin zone, great as Barak and Michelle are!:yes: We ain't talking Jed Clampet here, even if Jethro's got the throne!:goofy:

(And seriously, any more semi-political talk, and we should move this to SZ. Where I almost never go!:hairraise:)
No spin intended... just harrassin' the citizen at large in the Land of Lincoln. Or, is that Land of Clow? :)

We ain't talking Jed Clampet here, even if Jethro's got the throne!:goofy:

But there are waaay more cee-ment ponds in Texas than Illinois! :)

Trapper John

True, but TExas also has way more Texans in it ;)

I lived in west Texas, San Angelo in fact. The motto was 5 hours away from everything!

I would not mind living in that island of liberal thought Austin, but down where Ken is living, nuh nuh! Too hot!!

Last edited:
Tonight at our monthly meeting, we had a talk about a couple of accidents, both local - one fatal, and one involved the presenter.

The fatal was a local who had flown about 4-5 years, owned a Bonanza and had a pt 135 operation with it. He had gone to a NM aerobatics school and soon after that, was reported to be doing aerobatics in the Bonanza - mostly rolls and not just a few - more like hundreds of times. The accident involved a double roll at very low level over the runway.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X08609&key=1

The presenter said in his accident (the second one), he was flying towards a ridge in clear air, then hit microburst and could not fly away: (note the pilot's total time....and that was 30 years ago, he still flies a lot today!)
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=45424&key=0
Nice vid on microburst (from the 80's I'd guess) followed.

We also watched a great Blue Angels video from the 60's it seemed, with a lot of details and onboard cam; wow!

Another cool one was a vid of a presenter's travels from Alaska deep into Mexico, chasing a Peregrine falcon on its' migration. The falcon had a radio collar and they used a 172 with strut-mounted antennae to track it. Great stories of their adventures across the continent and learning more about this neat animal.
I don't get to go very often, but I'd say you sum up what happens at most of them. I've been to safety meetings at several airports. There is a table with stacks of "take one" FAA publications.

We are presented with a summary of one or two accidents or incidents in the vicinity along with a "heads-up" on how to avoid becoming the topic of another such discussion.

Then we usually have a video or a speaker to impart more wisdom. At one of my favorites, the speaker came from the FAA charting office and told us about recent improvements to the charts and projected new changes.

Depending upon the sponsoring facility, we may have coffee and donuts or some other refreshment. At one venue, we are also treated to a 15-minute monologue about the trials and troubles of working for the FAA, which I could do without because it is the same every time.

Usually someone asks again how the new Wings program works, and everyone agrees that the new program is much worse than the old program. Then we go home.

If it has been a particularly interesting meeting, sometimes I come onto this board and post what I learned, just as you did.

Keep up the good work.

Back