What GPSS to install

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
Our flying club has a 1983 Archer with a Century 21 auto pilot. We are going to have a Garmin 430 installed with a Garmin 340 audio panel. We are also looking at a Gpss. We were going to have a Dac GPSS installed but it is not certified for the Century 21 auto pilot. We are now looking at a SAM from Icuuss (hope I spelled that correct) It does a lot more than just a GPSS box which is nice but we don't have to have it do all of the things it does. Does anybody have any suggestions on other makers of GPSS that you have installed in planes? If so what are your likes and dislikes?

Regards Mike

Have you checked to find out what GPSS modules are certified with the Century 21? That might significantly limit your options.

Have you checked to find out what GPSS modules are certified with the Century 21? That might significantly limit your options.
Hi Ron
I have been trying to get ahold of Century but they are closed until next monday because of the holiday.

Mike

You are lucky, the Century GPSS supports the C21. It should be less expensive than the Icarus SAM I although the SAM I has more features.

Hi Gang
Our flying club has a 1983 Archer with a Century 21 auto pilot. We are going to have a Garmin 430 installed with a Garmin 340 audio panel. We are also looking at a Gpss. We were going to have a Dac GPSS installed but it is not certified for the Century 21 auto pilot. We are now looking at a SAM from Icuuss (hope I spelled that correct) It does a lot more than just a GPSS box which is nice but we don't have to have it do all of the things it does. Does anybody have any suggestions on other makers of GPSS that you have installed in planes? If so what are your likes and dislikes?

Regards Mike

The SAM manufacturer is spelled Icarus. As you've discovered the SAM does a lot more than GPSS but costs more. The installation will take more time as well with the extra depending on how much you connect to it. I have a SAM in my Baron and really like it.

If all you want/need is GPSS, the unit from Century would be the way to go.

Back