What good (SAFE!) cleaner for a composite fuselauge?

blazer003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
After reading a few articles and forum posts, I'm all of a sudden quite worried about what soaps and detergents I'm using on my Symphony. I had just been using some car washing detergent and not thinking much about it, and don't really see any damage from what I've been using (I forget the name at the moment). But I've read some people post that Simple Green and a lot of others are not good and can cause corrosion and delamination.

So what do you use to clean your composite? Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
After reading a few articles and forum posts, I'm all of a sudden quite worried about what soaps and detergents I'm using on my Symphony. I had just been using some car washing detergent and not thinking much about it, and don't really see any damage from what I've been using (forget the name at the moment). But I've read some people post that Simple Green and a lot of other are not good.

So what do you use to clean your composite? Thanks a ton!

I've used this stuff on everything for years.

http://www.washwax.com/

R U ready for this.......

I have been using builge cleaner (for boats) for a year now. You can dilute it 50% or use it straight. The grease and oil come off in one light swipe.

Most of the current paints jobs are single stage DuPont Imron or Jetglo, while some composites use two stage paints. Any good car wash detergent would work well, but absolutely need to avoid silicone containing polishes. The high pH of Simple Green can lead to corrosion of aluminum, and they make a buffered version that has a more neutral pH for aircraft. the standard version should have no effect on the paint as long as it is rinsed thoroughly.

I think Aviation Consumer had a great review of airplane treatments within the last few years.

Back