what does this remind you of?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
there is a point to this...

late last fall I started painting my house. it took forever to pick the paint colors.

I knew pretty well what I wanted for two of the colors immediately and needed stuff that wouldn't clash for other rooms (even though in most cases the colors don't meet as they are in separate rooms - bathroom, bedroom, etc etc)

after months of comparing, bringing home swatch after swatch, I finally picked em all out. I started painting the last color yesterday (finally!) in the bathroom so I was able to make a paint swatch using the stirring strip.

here is a photo of my color choices. what does it remind you of? I swear this wasn't planned. not at all. it just happened.

also - in case you think my house looks like a funhouse - it really doesn't, one color in that stack predominates in the house, the others are individual rooms for the most part.

woodstock said:

late last fall I started painting my house. it took forever to pick the paint colors.

I knew pretty well what I wanted for two of the colors immediately and needed stuff that wouldn't clash for other rooms (even though in most cases the colors don't meet as they are in separate rooms - bathroom, bedroom, etc etc)

after months of comparing, bringing home swatch after swatch, I finally picked em all out. I started painting the last color yesterday (finally!) in the bathroom so I was able to make a paint swatch using the stirring strip.

here is a photo of my color choices. what does it remind you of? I swear this wasn't planned. not at all. it just happened.

also - in case you think my house looks like a funhouse - it really doesn't, one color in that stack predominates in the house, the others are individual rooms for the most part.

I may be lacking abstract thought here. I don't see anything.....although, the way you have the sticks laid out kinda looks like a plane.

edit: with it zoomed out - it looks like a shuttle liftoff.

woodstock said:

Duh, Elizabeth, I don't see anything except five popsicle sticks that have been dipped in shades of pastel paint laying on a gray carpet. Is yours a girly question?

Jim

Are you shooting the finger at me?

To me, it looks like the colors you see in the sky with various lights, with green on the ground.

What's wrong with you guys? I'll bet you think "white" is just one color, too. ;)

Judy

should I just reveal the answer? I thought it was funny. I put the paintsticks on the item in question and thought, wow, neat. yes, this is actually aviation related.

woodstock said:
should I just reveal the answer? I thought it was funny. I put the paintsticks on the item in question and thought, wow, neat. yes, this is actually aviation related.

I got it! Five contrails against a gray sky.

Jim

nope! just think of the colors. you see these colors every time you get into a plane, flying VFR.

woodstock said:

Well, zoomed out it looks something like a runway with a taxiway alongside, but then I'm a guy and can't see abstract things too well. Our minds are more on the REAL things in life, I guess.:D What I really see are paint stirrers in different colors on a piece of carpet. I sure hope they were dry before being placed there, or they will look like my daughter's room carpet.:no:

ok, this is getting anticlimactic. maybe I am just twisted. hopefully ya'll will laugh when you see it. I'll give it another 10-15 minutes or so...

From your hints, I'm guessing sectional, but from here, the colors look way off to me.... (and Jim, I don't think the carpet is gray :no: )......

Well? B)

woodstock said:
another hint:

the most predominant color, on this item I am thinking of, is the green.

Green = $$ money. Money is at the center of all our problems.

Jim

ok ok ok. I am clearly twisted. I made this association the minute I brought all the colors home.

woodstock said:
ok ok ok. I am clearly twisted. I made this association the minute I brought all the colors home.

aha - I would have never gotten it - my sectional has no green.

woodstock said:

Not twisted. Like I said on the other side, you are an artist and see things a but differently from many of us. It's a talent.

Jim

NickDBrennan said:

Mine neither.

Elizabeth, you need to come out West and see all the pretty earth tones on our Sectionals! There's brown, darker brown and reddish brown. :)

When I first saw your colors I thought of some of the camoflage schemes on WWII aircaft. Comes from building too many models as a kid.

judypilot said:
What's wrong with you guys? I'll bet you think "white" is just one color, too. ;)

Have you ever been to home depot or any other place to get paint?

It goes something like this:
"Can we help you?"
"Yes. I need paint. Light tan, just simple straightforward generic light tan. Nothing weird, nothing odd, no subtle something that can only be detected in a research lab with specialized equipment. Doesn't have to be anything excessively specific. Just generic light tan."
"We can't do that. You have to choose from those color cards over there."
"%$#_*@! OK FINE."

So you walk over to the colored card holder thingie...

And take a look...

!!!!!! GACK !!!!!!

Turns out there are 18,739,814 shades of tan over there. All on little paper cards under flourescent lights. The color name labels are completely useless until you get a masters degree AND 15 years of experience in color identification. The word "tan" can't be found anywhere and when you do find that word, it's has another word before or after it making the actual color anything except tan. Then to make it worse, NONE of those tan looking or suspected tan description cards are actually tan once you get them out in real daylight.

Sixteen trillion color combinations are great if you need that. But why can't they have a simple menu of generic base colors?

Huh? Have you all lost your minds? FWIW I thought they were the bars on a POA poll graph showing different responses. I guess if you are an artist you would notice such things. We just got new kitchen cabinets. Some one asked me what color they were, I said tan or beige, my wife corrected me and said they are mocha. MOCHA! is that a color? IMHO the only difference between mocha and tan is $10.00 per gallon. Sheesh, somewhere there is a guy or gal whose job it is to make up all those names for colors that appear on the paint swatches you get at the hardware store. What a job. I believe there are 11. colors, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Purple, black, grey, white and brown. That's it they can come in light or dark but that's it, white doesn't' really count ,but apparently according to my wife white is not always white. Don't get me started on egg shell what the hell is egg shell? Egg shell is something that crunches that you don't want falling into your mocha ice cream ,not a color!

Finally I want you all to imagine filing a flight plan and when you get to box 16 for color, telling the briefer your plane is mocha with desert rose. I dare ya.

Sorry for the rant!

Next time use your sectionals as wall paper. It will save you money in paint, which means you have more money for flying. :D

I mean that in a good way too.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Next time use your sectionals as wall paper. It will save you money in paint, which means you have more money for flying. :D

I mean that in a good way too.

Ditto that...
And it looks so cool to have a big wall covered with sectionals and some easily movable flying PIX, so that reading the chart is still easy on a whim.

Amen Adam!
Guys - straight guys at least - see the world in old EGA 16 color graphics

White, Black, Light Gray, Dark Gray, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Light Green, Dark Green, Red, Pink, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Brown, Tan.

No more. No less.

woodstock said:

Yes Beth, you do appear to be fairly twisted but, fortunately you show no negative traits !

AdamZ said:
Finally I want you all to imagine filing a flight plan and when you get to box 16 for color, telling the briefer your plane is mocha with desert rose. I dare ya.

Sorry for the rant!

hehehe,

I told the briefer 'peuck green and white' once (pronounced pee-yuck). She hesitated and asked what color THAT was. I said, "Have you ever changed a brand new-newborn babies diaper and see that dark colored poop?".. she says "Yes". I said "That's the color green on the plane." I thought I was gonna have to call 911, she was laughing so hard she about choked. (For those un-initiated folks out there, it is a dark oily blackish-green color, guaranteed to start a chain barf anywhere you go) N9146K has since been repainted, but somehow the new colors look even worse that the peuck stripe that used to be on it.

Dee

Actually, my plane is coral and turquoise. If I were at home, I could give you the original Cessna part numbers.

I've only had about 3 FSS people not laugh or smirk or have some other reaction when I've filed verbally.

Actually, there is no color "white". There are 8,750,327 colors called things like "eggshell", "ecru", "swan", "creme brulee" (oh wait, that's a dessert). And us girls can tell the difference among all of them, can't we Woodstock?

Judy

NickDBrennan said:

Nick,

Well, I wasn't too far off, but I had the same problem relating it to the sectional. Now I know why.

Judy

judypilot said:
Actually, my plane is coral and turquoise. If I were at home, I could give you the original Cessna part numbers.

I've only had about 3 FSS people not laugh or smirk or have some other reaction when I've filed verbally.

Actually, there is no color "white". There are 8,750,327 colors called things like "eggshell", "ecru", "swan", "creme brulee" (oh wait, that's a dessert). And us girls can tell the difference among all of them, can't we Woodstock?

Judy

yes indeed. white is not always white, in fact, NO BUILDER uses true white as paint for the walls on their houses. no joke. go look. it's got a hint of some other color in it.

as far as being an artist, I'm mighty flattered but I can tell you - not artistic. can't sing, can't dance, can't draw worth squat. wish I could though. I sing in cars with the windows rolled up or in the privacy of my own house. it helps to peel the paint off the walls.

my cousin is very artistic, she's also nuttier than a fruitcake (meaning no harm to fruitcakes).

judypilot said:

Judy

"ecru" "brulee" - See. That's part of the problem. Those are not even real words. It's not in the dictionary so you can't even try to look it up to figure out what it is. I know this because I just tried to look them up. Dictionary at least says red is approximately the color you get when you poke a hole in yourself and black is what you get when you turn the lights off in a cave.

I can see all the color variations and tell the differences just fine. I just can't figure out the wacky unorganized undefined naming conventions they use to describe what I want.

This is a big vote for being color blind. We need to do the 16 or 32 primary crayola crayon colors that every 3 year old knows then do variations off that.

Funny story: A friend of mine was trying to paint his bathroom yellow once. Of course there's no such thing as yellow. Got a sample to put in their scanner? If not you're stuck with bizzarre names or 7 bit red/green/blue color combinations, but no yellow. He finally settled on a color that looked yellow under the mercury vapor lamps in the store. Of course when paint dries it changes color slightly too so you're double shanghi'd even if you get it right while it's wet. So we get recruited to paint the bathroom that afternoon. That evening we realized the so called yellow color turned into something closely resembling neon chartruce. I didn't know what neon chartruce was before that day. I do now. It's the color you get that allows you to go pee without turning the lights on in the bathroom at night.

fgcason said:
"ecru" "brulee" - See. That's part of the problem. Those are not even real words. It's not in the dictionary so you can't even try to look it up to figure out what it is. I know this because I just tried to look them up. .

mais oui! ecru is in the dictionnaire, meme brulee. ils sont les mots francais.

look in a french dictionary. ;)

woodstock said:

Well! I stand corrected.
How many more dictionaries do I need to get through the list? :hairraise:

Sarkans, gaiszils, melns, zals or dzeltens anyone?

woodstock said:

Wood, I'm afraid it is not limited to just your cousin.:rolleyes: How'd we get from sectionals to speaking french? Er, I mean, it looks like french, I wouldn't actually know, mind you.

BTW: I guessed correctly when I saw your paint sticks for the first time but the thread was already too far along by the time I saw it.

Another thing, I am a builder and I do use 'white'. Gloss white for trim on door and window casing. Other than that the paint mfgs do not offer 'white'.

woodstock said:
I should take lessons from you in choosing colors. Those are beautiful.

I had the exterior of my house painted a couple weeks ago. I took about 30 seconds to pick out the colors as I have no patience for that kind of thing. They painted most of it while I was out of town. Holy crap! Are those the colors I picked!!? OK, I'm used to it now, but it was a shock to see it for the first time. :eek:

fgcason said:
This is a big vote for being color blind. We need to do the 16 or 32 primary crayola crayon colors that every 3 year old knows then do variations off that.

Bah! Crayola started this whole problem with Burnt Sienna. ("burnt?" WTF is that?)

judypilot said:
To me, it looks like the colors you see in the sky with various lights, with green on the ground.

Judy

What's probably wrong is that the each color as portrayed on everybody's computer monitor are likely quite different. Just like those same paint samples will change when viewed under different lighting spectra. Colors lie as much as the typical politician.

Back