What does this mean exactly?

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
This is from KPIT for rw 32...

"Runway 32 visual glideslope indicator and ILS glidepath not coincident."

It means the PAPI or VASI indicates a different glideslope from the ILS transmitter. You can't use both at the same time; you have to pick one.

When on the ILS glide path you may notice the VASI isn't Red over White like you'd expect, or PAPI might have three White or Red lights. (Four would not be likely)

The big things it's telling you are a) don't be surprised if the VASI/PAPI doesn't show "on glide path" when you break out with the GS needle centered, and b) be prepared to do a bit of vertical correction to get on the visual glidepath when you do break out, since that provides better obstruction clearance in close.

Yep, basically what they all said. When you are able to visually acquire the VGSI (VASI/PAPI), you'll no longer be following the electronic glide path anyway and can be certain that you will be obstruction-free using indications on the VGSI within 4 miles. Absent a VGSI, it is also important to note whether or not there is a shaded live from any depicted VDP to the runway on the IAP to make sure that this segment is clear of obstructions.

I do not transition to the VASI or PAPI unless there is a NOTAM or chart instruction that the GP is not reliable close in. I can't imagine a GP getting certified that will fly you into obstructions. In my mind it seems smoother to follow one slope to the runway rather than making a step close in.

Absent a VGSI, it is also important to note whether or not there is a shaded live from any depicted VDP to the runway on the IAP to make sure that this segment is clear of obstructions.
That's strictly an RNAV thing, and it doesn't mean the entire area is entirely clear of obstructions, just that the 34:1 slope down to the touchdown zone is clear below MDA/DA. If there is no shading, then the 34:1 slope is not clear, so don't let your pitch-coupled autopilot drive your wheels through a treetop, as happened to a Citation at KHBI on this approach. Had the pilot transitioned visually to the PAPIs at or above DA, it would not have happened.

Last edited:
Back