What does Geek Squad do?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
If you thought the Geek Squad had anything to do with repairing computers guess again.

One comment says they actually were a group of pretty good techs until Best Buy bought them and turned them into a center to sell stuff and bring in money.

Read about the $39 USB cables. I've heard that retailers have actually told the printer makers they will not sell the printers if they include the cable.

http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl...entsort=0&savechanges=on&op=Change&sid=189737

Once again, when I see innocent people in the store I want to scream Run for your lives!

Jesse used to work for em. I thought they just drove around VW Beetles :)

Anything that Bust Buy is invloved in cannot be a good thing for consumers. Best Buy has actually come out and publicly said that they do not like customers who come in for sales and rebates.

My wife's friend had them come to the house to fix an email problem. The guy on the phone listened to the problem and said it should be a 30 minute fix and shouldn't be more than $75. A tech shows up at the house and the friend said he seemed like he knew just a little bit more than she did about the whole setup. He stumbled around and took 3 hours and a number of phone calls to fix the problem. Granted, he did fix it, but the whole episode was pretty shakey. She called the manager to complain about being billed for 3 hours and wanted to negotiate a lesser bill as they sent a tech with less than the necessary skillset to resolve the problem. The manager wouldn't budge until my wife's friend asked how he would feel about her posting the story of her experience with geek squad in the lunchroom at her place of employment - a large aerospace company - with her recommendation to avoid using their services.

Her bill was promptly reduced to $75.

tonycondon said:
Jesse used to work for em. I thought they just drove around VW Beetles :)

True story.

mikea said:
One comment says they actually were a group of pretty good techs until Best Buy bought them and turned them into a center to sell stuff and bring in money.
Starting pay is $9.97 per hour. After a few years you'll be making $10.50. Becaues of the pay the vast majority of the GeekSquad "Agents" do not know crap. There are a few though that are damn good PC technicans and DO know what they are doing. Problem is they don't like to screw people over, plus terrible pay, so they tend not to work there very long.

gkainz said:
My wife's friend had them come to the house to fix an email problem. The guy on the phone listened to the problem and said it should be a 30 minute fix and shouldn't be more than $75. A tech shows up at the house and the friend said he seemed like he knew just a little bit more than she did about the whole setup. He stumbled around and took 3 hours and a number of phone calls to fix the problem. Granted, he did fix it, but the whole episode was pretty shakey. She called the manager to complain about being billed for 3 hours and wanted to negotiate a lesser bill as they sent a tech with less than the necessary skillset to resolve the problem. The manager wouldn't budge until my wife's friend asked how he would feel about her posting the story of her experience with geek squad in the lunchroom at her place of employment - a large aerospace company - with her recommendation to avoid using their services.

Her bill was promptly reduced to $75.

GeekSquad does not bill hourly. It's a flat fee depending on the job. It will cost you $129 for an "Agent" to come on site to give you an estimate. All said and done you can plan on at least $300.

Like I said above. The vast majority are idiots. There are a few that know what they are doinig but they move onto bigger and better things.

I must say though. If you want to learn a CRAP TON about messed up Windows installations, messed up cheap crap hardware, it is a GREAT place to learn. It's also a very stressful job and I had grey hair at 16 years old.

Don't hate the Geeksquad agents. Even if they aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. They put up with a LOT of bull**** from customers and management. Hate Best Buy.

I worked there for two years, which is pretty much unheard of. I would work on about 10 to 15 computers at once along with multiple customers at the counter. It is possible to juggle as many as 5 customers at once. On a daily basis I would have customers and management swear up a storm at me. On a weekly basis I would have a customer actually threaten me physically. On a monthly basis they would start to break things. One time I had a customer take his E-Machine tower and throw it over the counter at me when I turned around. All the sudden I saw it soar a foot past my head and explode agaisnt the wall. The customer took off running.

JRitt said:
Anything that Bust Buy is invloved in cannot be a good thing for consumers. Best Buy has actually come out and publicly said that they do not like customers who come in for sales and rebates.

They're also the ones that had a guy arrested in one of their stores for writing down prices and doing comparison shopping.

They did come out with a list of "desirable" customers and "undesirable" customers, and apparently suggested that "undesirables" should not be encouraged to shop there.

wsuffa said:
They're also the ones that had a guy arrested in one of their stores for writing down prices and doing comparison shopping.

They did come out with a list of "desirable" customers and "undesirable" customers, and apparently suggested that "undesirables" should not be encouraged to shop there.

That would be me. There may be some like me who haven't learned to resist trying to wise up the fish in the store. I did that once at CompUSA a long time ago telling a guy he didn't need Norton Security Suite and when the fish told the salesman he said, "WHO SAID THAT?" I think he may have wanted me to be arrested. The poor guy had a cart LOADED with crap like that, of course. I didn't notice how many $39 cables he was going to buy.

The BB policy is sorta like posting on the web the qualifications it takes to be a customer. :rolleyes:

Back