What documentation to take to AME for a"healed" ulcer

MikeTuggle

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeT
For any AME on the forum >>>

Doc…

I know that the FAA gets a bit concerned about certain conditions such as – in my case – an ulcer bleed.

I had a surprise ulcer bleed last October (with hospitalization), as a result of my stupidly taking 2 full strength aspirins every day for several months. (I thought that if a “baby aspirin” was good that full strength one would be even better.)

I was scoped and the GI doc could see the ulcer but it was already healing after 2 days, so no additional intervention was required. I have been on pantoprazole since then.

I have a follow-up visit tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. Since I need to the local AME as soon as possible to get a new 3rd Class certificate (my old one is expired), I understand that I need to get my GI guy to write up some kind of report to give to the medical examiner.

What does that write-up need to say? (I hope you don't tell me I need to get another endoscopy.)

Thank you VERY much!

I gave my doc the page from the AME guide that describes an ulcer and what to do...

I am well past the 6 months for a bleed and my doc thinks its unjustified to have me go back under anesthesia to be "scoped" again. I will take his write-up with me (whatever it is) and we'll see.

The post above was from me...

Main thing in the AME Guide is:
"Evidence of healing must be verified by a report from the attending physician that includes the following information:
* Confirmation that the applicant is free of symptoms
* Radiographic or endoscopic evidence that the ulcer has healed [My doc thinks this is unnecessary... since he saw it on day-3....]
* The name and dosage medication(s) used for treatment and/or prevention...."

@MikeTuggle : Why not find and consult with an AME who's been through the protocol and knows exactly what is wanted, before submitting anything?

There has always been an "or" for six months of recovery, doc's testimonry as to lack of symptoms, lack of anemia, (and the icing on the cake is a heme negative stool swipe by the doc), which obviates the re-scope.

Thank you, Denverpilot and, thank you, Dr. Chien!!!

I like the idea of the occult wipe. Should I take my most recent labs with me showing Hgb is now ~13+?

I'll call my doc tomorrow to see if I can arrange another short visit.

(I went nuts over the weekend trying to find a way to get to you for just such advice. You are an incredible resource.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back