What do you write down?

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
So does everyone write down everything they're told by ATC? Like, "Turn left, heading 240" or "Climb and maintain 6,000." Or do you just repeat it and comply? I usually just repeat and comply, but I had one instructor during my instrument training that would insist on writing everything down that ATC told us including headings, altitudes, and frequencies. I always write down the departure clearance and holding clearances, but otherwise I don't take the time to write things down. Seems unnecessary. But maybe I'm missing the point. What's your habit? I will admit that I use my ADF as an altitude reminder. If I'm asked to climb and maintain 7,000 I will turn the ADF so that the 7 is at the top of the dial. It helps me to remember. I use heading bugs for heading changes. I don't take the time to write it down.

I write down clearance delivery and on initial callup if things are likely to be very busy I might write down which runway they said to expect. (17L or 17R will get a big L/R on the paper or window)

Other than that, I listen carefully to what they say, make sure I understand it then read it back to them how I intend to do it. They say, it makes sense, I do or question them about it. IMO busy controlled airspace with lots of aluminum around and trying not to bang into the ground while listening to machine gun calls from ATC to a couple dozen planes and setting up for landing, I'm simply too busy to be heads down writing correspondence letters to mom. All that up and down and turn stuff, I just do it on the spot as needed since it takes longer to write than actually do. Frequency changes and stuff get spun on the second radio/flip dials. Long term stuff (eg: several minute climb or don't forget to turn 10 minutes from now would likely get written down)

Last edited:
I repeat what is required, start to comply and then write down assigned altitude headings, and frequencies. Now I don't write it all down on a vectored approach but enroute it is nice to have backup. 'What was that heading again?' I use this form.

Attachments

• craftt.doc
    30 KB · Views: 42
I write down frequencies and facility names (abbreviated) on hand-offs (big oops led to that one), write down clearances and amendments (of course), and will sometimes scrawl a shorthand of an instruction if it's compound and my ADD-ness may make me forget part of it (e.g., "niner three juliet, clear direct DUMPY, descend to at or below six thousand immediately, cross DUMPY at five thousand," or the San Antonio standard: "depart MARCS on two niner zero heading for sequencing").

I write down the ATIS on a pad I bought at Airways pilot shop in LNS, IFR clearances, and VFR clearances out of class B or C fields.

I have a great memory, so I don't normally write down any frequencies, altitudes, or headings. If I don't remember something though, I make sure to ask for clarification from the controller.

I like having a heading bug, but when I don't have one on the DG, i usually use NAV2 as my bug. If I hear "Skyhawk 7-6-Hotel fly heading--" I immediately pay closer attention and put my hand on the OBS knob of NAV2.

It all depends on who you are (memory, etc) and how you were instructed I suppose. But things like altimeter settings, altitudes, headings, squawk codes, and frequencies, I just readback and comply, no writing needed.

When VFR, I try to write as little down as I can get away with since my head should be focused outside the plane, not inside, not the other way around.

Regards,
Jason

Last edited:
I write it all down, especially in ADIZland. Use symbols and abbreviations and it don't take no time atal. "Turn right heading zero-six-zero" becomes "R060," for example.

I write everything on sticky pads and post them all over the plane. When I'm done with a flight it looks like an office.

JRitt said:
I write everything on sticky pads and post them all over the plane. When I'm done with a flight it looks like an office.

Or a really cool paint/exterior job if you stick then onto the exterior of the plane after landing.

SkykingC310 said:
So does everyone write down everything they're told by ATC? Like, "Turn left, heading 240" or "Climb and maintain 6,000." Or do you just repeat it and comply? I usually just repeat and comply, but I had one instructor during my instrument training that would insist on writing everything down that ATC told us including headings, altitudes, and frequencies. I always write down the departure clearance and holding clearances, but otherwise I don't take the time to write things down.

Typically I write these things:

Startup: Fuel quantities.
ATIS: wind altimeter runway(s) in use.
Clearance: route/ altitude/ xpndr code

After takeoff, I log the departure time and whenever I switch tanks (typically twice during a flight) I log the current fuel state and the time.

I usually write assigned altitudes in hundreds (e.g. "60") on the scratch pad on the kneeboard, and line out the previous assigned altitude. When I tune the ATIS, the sequence letter ("Information Golf") gets written down.

For headings, I just use the heading bug on the DG/autopilot, and rotate it to the new assigned heading, whether or not the autopilot is in use.

-- Pilawt

ATIS
Initial clearance
Taxi instructions at large, unfamiliar airports, or even familiar airports if the instructions have more than a couple elements.
Reroutes if they are complex

I don't usually write down frequency changes or altitudes, but we have altitude alerters where you dial in the altitude. Before I flew airplanes with altitude alerters I used Skyking's method of setting the altitude on the rotating ADF card although that doesn't work with an RMI.

Last edited:
I write it all down CRAFT then freq, alt and heading changes I do abbreviate and will write down 270 but not left turn to 270.

What I write down:
* Departure ATIS (including the time it was issued)
* Clearance (CRAFT)
* Destination ATIS

What I don't write down but remember via other means:
* Headings - I immediately twist the heading bug, including when I'm assigned a heading for takeoff
* Frequencies - As soon as I hear the controller, I move my hand up toward the panel. "Skylane 2" (begin moving hand) "71G," (hand near panel), "Contact" (hand to Com1 freq knob), "Timbuktu Approach, one two seven" (Start tuning) "point one five." "Timbuktu Approach on" (finish tuning) "two seven point one five, 271G, G'day" I also try to anticipate what the next freq will be and have it waiting on standby so I don't even have to do the quick-twist all the time.
* Squawks: Same as frequencies, only I move my hand to the transponder as soon as I hear "squawk". I tune the first two numbers while they're reading me the squawk and usually finish during the readback.

What I just keep in the noggin:
* Altitudes. Generally I only have to remember X thousand, maybe +500, or it's an altitude that's on an approach plate anyway.
* The most important two things in aviation.

I never write anything down, put the Freq in the radio, set the squawk, heading bug and go from there, all the rest of the info is available from other sources.

I almost exclusively fly single pilot, dont have time to devote to writing or reading, besides my penmanship is so bad I probaly couldnt read it anyway.

When I did my instrument training my instructor taught me to lay out a sheet of paper with five columns - one for each letter in CRAFT - and then to write the original clearance and all ammendments therein. Takes next to no time to do so and I've thanked my instructor many, many times for this tip since. Unlike others my memory is less than perfect...

Regards,
Joe

I write down my clearence. I also enter into my GPS the altimeter setting and assigned altitude when it is given to me, the next frequency is entered into the standby side of my radio, and I use the heading bug for my assigned heading. The thing I write down the most is the ATIS and any weather updates from flight watch.

Well it seems everyone has their own procedures. Thanks for all the great feedback on this topic. I've learned a few things that I will try. All in all,everybody fly safe and have fun doing it.

Good thread!

As mentioned earlier, weather at departure and destination (even if it isn't ATIS), CRAFT, frequencies & squawk, and any instructions that aren't immediately acted upon, e.g. alternate missed procedures. The frequencies are helpful because they allow be to pretty accurately predict the expected frequencies on the return trip, so I can have them dialed in already. I don't use the #2 VOR as a mnemonic, since I frequently have it set up for the missed or situational awareness while on the approach. I don't have an ADF in most of the planes I fly. I do, however, have an autopilot with altitude alerting in some of them, and that's helpful.

Back