What do you think about the Stratolaunch?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I have been following this airplane for months now:

http://www.stratolaunch.com/

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/meet-...plane&kwp_0=446045&kwp_4=1631181&kwp_1=702370

Maximum Takeoff weight: 1.3MM Pounds (Yeah 1.3 Million)
6 PW Engines
365 Feet Wingspan (The largest in the world)
236 Length

Imagine flying that beast!!

I just don't know what they are going to use it for?

It's Richard Branson's baby - Virgin Galactic. They use it to carry the rocket up to high altitude and launch from there instead of the ground. It's Burt Rutan's design on a larger scale.

Last edited:
No. It's backed by Paul Allen. It's supposed to take rockets up to high altitude and they will launch from there.

No. It's backed by Paul Allen. It's supposed to take rockets up to high altitude and they will launch from there.

You know I saw his name mentioned and that confuses me because this aircraft is just a bigger version of White Knight. So I'm confused as to who is copying from whom.

You know I saw his name mentioned and that confuses me because this aircraft is just a bigger version of White Knight. So I'm confused as to who is copying from whom.
Yer not confused, yer just wrong....snark, snark, snark.

That's ok Clark. Since you want to be an infantile snark I researched this and found out that Paul Allen did indeed copy the Rutan idea. Instead of space tourists he wants to send satellites into space ;

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/paul-allen-built-worlds-largest-plane-fling-satellites-space/
So your error was claiming Branson was behind the aircraft. Sorry you couldn't admit that up front and avoid this unseemingly infantile mess. Nice try but you lost again.

Cool plane, and love to see someone pushing boundaries. But as far as getting stuff into space on a reusable and (relatively) cheap platform I think SpaceX and Beezos are much further along

Also, why so large, what are they planning to launch that a Delta V can't?

Outside of the B-36 four engines to me is the max "cool" limit. If I understand the engines are off a 747-400.. so four 777 engines would have sufficed quite well

Cool plane, and love to see someone pushing boundaries. But as far as getting stuff into space on a reusable and (relatively) cheap platform I think SpaceX and Beezos are much further along

Also, why so large, what are they planning to launch that a Delta V can't?
They're trying to open the air-launch envelope, not supplant traditional launch vehicles. Something that falls between the Minotaur and the smaller Deltas.

There are tactical advantages for air-launched satellites, but probably won't be that big of a deal for commercial payloads. Biggest problem I see the limited resource...the aircraft. If a conventional launch vehicle fails, the launches stop until the problem is determined, but all your customers still have their launch vehicles. If an accident destroys the Stratolaunch aircraft, your schedule is messed up for a long, long time.

Ron Wanttaja

The aircraft was built by Scaled Composites. Which explains the similarities to White Knight.

Back