What do you do for "get-there-itis" when you drive?

rtk11

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
rtk
Coming home late yesterday with the family in the vehicle, I found myself drowsy, but pushing myself to make it the 25 miles home. In hind-sight, I knew I wasn't operating at 100% and should have stopped at the side of the road for a short break, walk, or even beverage just to refresh for a while and re-assess my ability to continue the drive.

In one of my former cars, the car would chime every 2 hours of continuous operation to remind me that I should take a break. It was annoying when stuck in SoCal traffic, but on long road trips, that reminder really made a surprisingly positive difference when I would just pull over and take a short break for beverages or relief.

When you guys drive, do you think about "get-there-itis" and pull over at regular intervals to take a break, or break your trips into segments and evaluate your weariness? In an aircraft, how do you determine when it's time to find a landing spot and "call it a day?"

I have napped at a rest area. Actually one night I napped at every rest area I encountered. Other time I've rolled the window down and stuck my head out it - works better when the temp is in the teens. Cranked the radio up really loud.

Oddly, I've never flown tired. But my flights are planned a little more carefully in regards to my fatigue level than my driving is.

Quit driving such a comfortable car.

If you drive a short-wheelbase Jeep on big, knobby tires, the ride is so choppy it will be impossible to sleep! Takes too much work just to stay in your lane!

I HATE driving, slept at a few rest stops, once at a sketch gas station that wouldn't take cards and the inside was closed, thus no gas, sketch folks around, ended up sleeping in my jeep with my pistol next to me.

Flying is much more cut and dry IMO

Sometimes a caffeine break is called for. Find a convenience store? It's hard to roll down the windows to wake up with the family in the car, but guaranteed--you hit a store and the kids will sugar up and keep you awake!

I sometimes get sleepy driving, but have yet to do so in the plane, even on a > 3 hour XC in the evening after work. It's so peaceful flying at night.

I've driven across Nevada a bunch of times... Mostly on highway 6 (160 miles with no services) and 50 (a town every hour to 90 minutes). I try to stop and get out of the he car every 2 or 3 hours.

Spend a LOT of time in the car...just a quick pit stop to get out of the car and grab a coke or even just a bottle of water will perk me up for a while.

Lift one foot and hold it off the floor. Try falling asleep while holding one foot up.

If that doesn't help, run off the road at speed. Just a little bit though. It will scare the $%&@# out of ya and you won't fall asleep all night....

Ok, maybe not, but the foot thing works for me until I can get stopped and take a break.

If that doesn't help, run off the road at speed. Just a little bit though. It will scare the $%&@# out of ya and you won't fall asleep all night....

...hit a rumble strip in west texas once; wide awake after that!

I pretty much never drive long distances without the family aboard, so if I'm tired enough that I start seeing objects turn into doves or flying monkies, I just let the wife drive awhile. I have stuck my head out of the window, slapped myself, partaken in egregious amounts of caffine, among other things. The only thing that really works for me is to get out and walk around.

A few weeks ago, I drove 1000 miles from Lavonia, GA to my home in Lindsay, OK in a day, with two kids in diapers. It was pretty brutal.

Stop and have a caffeine fix,let the wife drive,keep the driving to two hour shifts.

Thanks for replies! With a family in car, I try to follow "safety before valor", but failed this last weekend when I forced the slog home.

But what about in an airplane? Do you plan 2, 3, or 4!hour legs at maximum to stretch legs, bio break and stay refreshed?

Park the car, get up and walk around, and if that doesn't help, find a Motel 6 and sleep.

Caffeine works, but only to a point. Once you cross it, it's counterproductive.

Best advice I've ever heard regarding not falling asleep while driving.

Steps:
1) Take out $100 bill from wallet.
2) Open drivers-side window.
3) Grasp $100 bill between thumb and index finger.
4) Extend arm holding $100 bill completely outside of window.

Drowsiness at the wheel will no longer be a problem if you follow these 4 simple steps. :D

Another thought.......drink lots of liquid....don't stop to pee until you get home.....

Back