What do you desire?

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Unfortunately the two videos in this post wont play on Apple iOS devices; you'll need to view them from some other device. :( And I've never met the fellow who made them - but I like the job he did on them. The first is a montage of flying videos of the Pacific Northwest (mostly Oregon) "narrated" with a compelling verbal essay by philosopher Alan Watts that asks "What do you desire?" ... with the video giving an answer I suspect many PoA would agree with. (I've only just started flying into some of those PNW fields that the film-maker has already visited - I'm looking forward to it.)

I like this other video because I happen to have flown into all the same airfields - and the first musical number, Welcome Home, introduced me to a musical group I hadn't heard of, Radical Face, that has music I like and as a result now have a couple of their albums.

Oh yeah - I put this under "Cool Places to Fly" because Oregon has enough variety - rocky sea shore, smooth beaches, rain forest, snow-topped volcanic mountains, large deserts, and a canyon that rivals the Grand Canyon - that it is a cool place to fly.

First video plays fine on iOS. Second video is restricted on mobile devices for copyrighted music use.

Nice video on that first one.

He does need to break yay habit of being in the center of mountain valleys, though. Wrong place to be. ;)

That Alan Watts clip always makes me laugh. I'm certain his greatest desire was to be a guidance counselor.:lol:

That Alan Watts clip always makes me laugh. I'm certain his greatest desire was to be a guidance counselor.:lol:

The philosophy he espouses doesn't survive any deep analysis, granted, and is the downfall of a lot of people who follow it like a river running downhill. On the other hand I think there are a fair number of people who have set such a high priority on survival and fiscal pragmatics that they talk themselves out of even trying things that they desire to do - like flying. On that narrow basis I thought the video captured one of the valid aspects of the philosophy. Plus, its flying.

Back