What do Aviation Analysts do and where do they work for?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I know this may sound naive but I am wondering if "Aviation Analyst" is a real job title. I think I see them in the news and on aviation TV programs when there is an aviation accident or something. If so, what do they exactly do and who hires them? What education and background do they need to become one?

Last edited:
When you see an "aviation analyst" on the news it is just someone that has experience in the aviation industry in some form or another- often a retired airline pilot- that someone at the network knows. They turn to them to get the "insider" information when an aviation story is making headlines. It isn't so much a job as a sideline a few people have.

I know this may sound naive but I am wondering if "Aviation Analyst" is a real job title. I think I see them in the news and on aviation TV programs when there is an aviation accident or something. If so, what do they exactly do and who hires them? What education and background do they need to become one?
In the case of John Nance, he was an author of a number of books before he became an "Aviation Expert" for Good Morning America. Prior to the books though, he was in the USAF and is currently a Lt Colonel in the USAF Reserves.
I think sometimes it's self appointed, and sometimes they are "nominated" by the news station. In short, if you sound qualified, I'm sure we could find you an agent that will sell you as an "Aviation Expert".

I did the talking head thing on the news networks for a while during the JFK Jr/Payne Stewart era. All I can say is, don't quit your day job.

The distinction to make is whether you are a "source" in which case you are not paid a nickel, or whter you are "talent," in which case you are required to have a lobotomy before they throw money at you and put you on air.

Back