What could it have been?

Have you ever been temporarily blinded during a flight?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
Okay, so today I had a bad experience. I rented a Cessna 152 that was acting rather funny and with unpredictable comms. (I eventually cut the flight short) All other problems aside, when I was doing a turn around a point with the window open, out of nowhere I got slightly less than a handful of sand in my eye. I was at 2500 feet. Where the hell did it come from? After some tears and effort to clear it I looked at the air vent and everywhere but didn't come to a conclusion as to where it came from. I couldn't believe something like that just happened out of nowhere.

It was north-west of KPCM about 5NM out.

Could have just been some dirt/sand that was stuck in a seam which became dislodged when you banked during your turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about the area around PCM, but go out into West Texas during certain times of the year any you'll find dust clouds that high. And higher.

Good reason to wear rap around sunglasses ,when flying.

Don't know about the area around PCM, but go out into West Texas during certain times of the year any you'll find dust clouds that high. And higher.

It's been a typical dry, windy March in West Texas, so the OP may have gotten a blast of high-flying, far-flung West Texas sand.

Well, we do have a very nice member here that lives in West Texas.....

Yeah, but it's probably not on purpose. Besides, everyone in Texas lives in Colorado, eventually. Probably because Texas is so awesome. :)

Are you trying to make people suicidal? Why would anyone ever want to go to West Texas? ;)
Quite a few of us are out here hunting the raw material for the gogo juice to put into your plane. Been better at it lately, it seems because production is really up and the price is really down.

BTW, these days the sand storms aren't as bad as the ones we used to have that would block out the sun and cause the street lights to come on in the daytime.

Some wasps make nests out of mud, maybe it was in there and broke apart.

Quite a few of us are out here hunting the raw material for the gogo juice to put into your plane. Been better at it lately, it seems because production is really up and the price is really down.

BTW, these days the sand storms aren't as bad as the ones we used to have that would block out the sun and cause the street lights to come on in the daytime.

That's excellent. I hope you're being paid handsomely. Would you live there by choice if not for the petro-work? ;)

Back