What color vision test does your AME use?

CVD Pilot Resources

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CVD Pilot Resources
Hi PoA. I am working on a website for color vision deficient pilots. The major part of the website is a list of AMEs and the specific color vision test they use. If you feel comfortable to post their name and test here, please do, otherwise send me a PM and I'll add them to the list. There are 14 different accepted tests, so beyond just saying "color dots", do you know which specific one? Those with CVD do, and thank you!

Tests include Ishihara, Dvorine, HRR, AOC, Titmus, Richmond, Optec, Farnsworth Lantern, etc...

Thank you in advance for helping!

Are you planning to charge for access to this list?

Not at this time. If there is overwhelming interest in such a list, then maybe in the future.

the one with the red and green blotches? This is a real chicken and egg thing, since only color blind people are gonna know or care about which test is being administered, but they wanna know which test is being administered before shopping that AME?

Also crowd-sourcing data from pilots sucks. :D GLHF.

The one I took was 14 pages of numbers imbedded in colored dots (Ishihara, I think). I only got 3-4 correct. Red-Green deficiency. Then failed another test at the FSCDO, then finally passed using light guns. Good luck!

You probably need to educate us as to the differences so we can figure out which one is being used. Listing just the names does not really help.

Get a demonstrated waiver and forget about it. Should be easily obtained if the type of color vision test makes a difference.

I remind all that your iPad and your Color monitor are not calibrated. So what you do and see on a website.....well isn't really predictive of what happens in the office or at the waiver evaluation.

Back