What can WE do to get more pilots in the air?

There are a lot of folks out there who have, well, dreamed of flying. I think the biggest hurdle is the fear factor. I think people need reassurance, that's why that radio dj stunt was so successful. "Hey, he thought it was great, maybe it's time for me to start too." I don't think ads, tv or radio, reach out and grab people the same way. Maybe a more personal ad, like (you may not like him, I'm just using him as an example) the way Howard Stern reads ads, would help.

Gotta say though, I agree with Bill S. -- until the aviation industry becomes more welcoming to the little guy, it'll turn off more people than it turns on.

Hey, isn't the FAA supposed to promote aviation????? :rolleyes:

Just one more thing and I'll get off my soapbox.

Along with customer service issues comes the "attitude" thing.

It seems to permeate this industry - and again, it's not everyone, just some. "Big Iron" pilots that look down on flivvers. Controllers that don't want to help or provide service to flibs, because they're there to serve the big iron. Airlines that want small planes out of the sky. Flight instructors that are "holier than you" because they're going to fly for the airlines. Attitude sends a message.

We need to make flying small stuff just a glam as flying the big iron. Not that airline management isn't already trying to make the "big iron" pilots into glorified bus drivers. There is still a swagger among certain pilots that comes across as attitude. "How do you know when there's a pilot in the room? Don't worry, everybody knows."

Back