What can GA Airport Management do to promote general aviation?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
So as you may know, I am looking to get a career in airport operations or management. But if I work at a GA airport, I want to do everything I can to promote general aviation and do everything I can to make GA airports more friendly to pilots and the general public.

Any good ideas that airport managers and other airport management personnel can do to promote general aviation? Open houses? Career day? Heck, maybe lower landing fees (or no landing fees at all)?

Last edited:
We had a few Tracon guy's at our airport a few weeks ago and it was awesome. They really helped with the all the Class B questions. Especially living in the NY area. Our owner even broke out the BBQ and grilled up some goodies. Was an awesome turn out and a bunch of people flew in so I'm guessing he sold a decent amount of fuel.

I'd say anything and everything to get kids involved and make the airport a friendly scene for outsiders looking to get in the game.

Good fiscal management. Open houses and fly-ins are easy...running a financially healthy airport is not. The less of a drain the airport is on the community, the less of a target it becomes when budgets are tight. Skills with property management are important--a good airport manager is maximizing non-aeronautical revenue so as to keep aeronautical rents as low as possible. Focus on your business skills--knowing how to fly an airplane is a small part to being a good airport manager.

IMO, the best way an airport manager can promote GA is by maintaining a well run airport.

Good suggestions!

Brad, regarding your post, I actually am taking a class in airport financial management for this semester, and I just learned about aeronautical and non aeronautical revenues and budgets in my class.

Tear down the perimeter fences.

I would agree with this one.. I love airports with no fences (rural Kansas is great). So much more inviting. What is the driving force behind the installation of airport fences at places with no airline service?

Since the Feds believe we need fences,offer through the fence tours on a regular basis. If you use a badge entry system issue badges to anyone with an interest in aviation. At my airport if you loose your medical they de activate your badge. Meet with the stakeholders one on one on a daily basis. Smile

I would agree with this one.. I love airports with no fences (rural Kansas is great). So much more inviting. What is the driving force behind the installation of airport fences at places with no airline service?

Free money from Bubba the local DHS guy.

Having actually kinda sorta worked in this field before...

Host a fly in/airport open house. Invite "non aviation" participants like civic clubs, the fire department, let local businesses set up a booth, have some kind of food.

Young eagles.

If the airport has public meeting space, open it up to civic groups/non profits for meetings and the like.

Invite schools for field trips.

How about t-hangars for less than a 1-bedroom apartment

I like that idea. I know several people that decided not to buy an airplane because the hangar rent was almost equal to the payments on the plane.

Drag racing on the runway at night. Having to clean up used condoms in the morning. O, by the way, some protection of easily damaged aircraft in the open hangers and on the ramp. Vandalism to runway lights, etc.

If the local rednecks get to drag race on the runway at night then they will have a vested interest in the airport staying open.

If the local rednecks get to drag race on the runway at night then they will have a vested interest in the airport staying open.

What about the plane that they don't hear landing while they are doing it. I'm sure that they have handhelds and are listening to CTAF.

We have a pilot friendly airport and happily provide tours and show & tell for those who ask but we do have features to raise the threshold of access. If you don't know what you are doing, you don't need to be wandering around the ramp in proximity of operating aircraft.

What about the plane that they don't hear landing while they are doing it. I'm sure that they have handhelds and are listening to CTAF.

We have a pilot friendly airport and happily provide tours and show & tell for those who ask but we do have features to raise the threshold of access. If you don't know what you are doing, you don't need to be wandering around the ramp in proximity of operating aircraft.

Are you talking about a forward operating base in Afghanistan or a GA airport?:lol: Gotta keep those dirty nonpilots outside the wire man. Pilot friendly Airport means no turning people into pilots. Folks we have met GA's enemy and he is us. It doesn't matter we can simply enjoy our time, but don't expect there to be anyone to buy our airplanes or care about our precious airports closing.

I believe displaying the functionality of the airport is also solid promotion. For instance the local airport in my region serves a vital role in police an fire operations and it's made known as such.

RHV in San Jose just had an airport day last weekend, and there was a huge turnout. Much more than I expected.

They had:

- Live bands
- Booths with all kinds of vendors in them (several were local school science clubs showing off their student projects)
- They partnered up with a local car club to also have some very cool cars there
- Several older planes on display (maybe they're always there, not sure, but they looked like they'd been flown in for the event)

But the big event was the flights for families and their kids. They'd take folks and their kids up for a bit. I'm guessing they flew once or twice around the pattern and then landed again. The excitement and smiles those kids had getting off the plane was amazing. They're going to remember that forever, and I bet it ignites a passion for GA aviation in at least a few of them. Maybe their parents, too.

It looked like a very successful event. Perhaps you'd want to reach out to airport managers or event coordinators, like at RHV, to get some ideas on what's successful.

I have some doubts that airport fair day makes pilots. Same as a county fair, just because people go every year doesn't mean those people show up on Monday to see about becoming a carny. Probably damaging, we can't eat cotton candy all year long, so we go out to the airport the one day the drawbridge is down, take a free airplane ride and call it good. It would be the same as Augusta letting the locals play a round one weekend a year, those locals are not going to apply for membership on Monday.

Making pilots isn't the point.

RHV has a mall under final. You want happy neighbors who feel that the airport is part of the community, rather than something for the other guy. Especially in a county that thinks there is only one airport and the point of it is Part 121 traffic alone.

Without new pilots the party ends. Giving the peasants a yearly castle tour is insufficient for them to be willing to keep paying for it and putting up with its noise.

Since the Feds believe we need fences,offer through the fence tours on a regular basis. If you use a badge entry system issue badges to anyone with an interest in aviation. At my airport if you loose your medical they de activate your badge. Meet with the stakeholders one on one on a daily basis. Smile

And how do they know you lost your medical? Even without a medical you can still fly with a "seeing-eye-pilot" or instructor.
You still have an aircraft you need access to, or you let the medical lapse and will fly LSA.

Tear down the perimeter fences.

This, and give a friendly "How can we help you?" to anyone who enters the FBO. You might sell a few flying lessons that way, and aviation needs every pilot we can create.

I have some doubts that airport fair day makes pilots. Same as a county fair, just because people go every year doesn't mean those people show up on Monday to see about becoming a carny. Probably damaging, we can't eat cotton candy all year long, so we go out to the airport the one day the drawbridge is down, take a free airplane ride and call it good. It would be the same as Augusta letting the locals play a round one weekend a year, those locals are not going to apply for membership on Monday.
Maybe not instantly, but 15 years down the road? Yes.
Also, forget Young Eagles (are they young Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, or Mexican Eagles? - sorry, couldn't resist the joke - and I'm not saying that YE is a bad program) get some of the adults up for free. Let those who can vote see how GA can benefit them and their neighbors, and make sure that while it's a NICE deal to be a part of, they don't feel like it's only for the "elite." Show them that commoners like many of us can achieve it just as easily as so many folks can afford a useless boat.

Ryan
Ryan

Last edited:
Maybe not instantly, but 15 years down the road? Yes.
Also, forget Young Eagles (are they young Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, or Mexican Eagles?) get some of the adults up for free. Let those who can vote see how GA can benefit them and their neighbors, and make sure that while it's a NICE deal to be a part of, they don't feel like it's only for the "elite." Show them that commoners like many of us can achieve it just as easily as so many folks can afford a useless boat.

Ryan
Ryan

If a parent comes back the following Saturday they will be locked out and if they do manage to run into a human they are almost certain to get the attitude. For those that don't understand the attitude we give I offer a simple experiment: Visit an airport where no one knows you, by car, without the bomber jacket, watch, aopa hat, etc. Try talking to people about flying without letting on that you are a pilot. Comeback here tell us about it so I can laugh and say told you so.

Small resort on the property, have fly in social gatherings, make your fuel the cheapest within a 200nm radius.

If a parent comes back the following Saturday they will be locked out and if they do manage to run into a human they are almost certain to get the attitude. For those that don't understand the attitude we give I offer a simple experiment: Visit an airport where no one knows you, by car, without the bomber jacket, watch, aopa hat, etc. Try talking to people about flying without letting on that you are a pilot. Comeback here tell us about it so I can laugh and say told you so.
Ok, so I'm saying that is what needs to happen. As for what you've suggested, I'm perfectly happy to try that. I think it would be fun!
This is a thread about what the airport SHOULD be... not what some are. If you come to my airport looking lost but interested, you are likely to at least get asked if you are interested in aircraft.

Ryan

Last edited:
My point is simply doubt that one day open houses create new pilots, and new pilots are what is needed, not just tolerant neighbors. Fences and attitude(we are all guilty) is the major problem with getting new pilots. Tear down the fences and turn that "I just filled the tanks" frown upside down.:)
Ok, so I'm saying that is what needs to happen. As for what you've suggested, I'm perfectly happy to try that. I think it would be fun!
This is a thread about what the airport SHOULD be... not what some are. If you come to my airport looking lost but interested, you are likely to at least get asked if you are interested in aircraft.

Ryan

Back