What are your annual maintenance costs?

JC-Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
I know this varies quite a bit and some repairs can cost quite a bit.

However, I was trying to get a feeling how much, on average, various aircraft might cost per year.

How much of a difference between a C172 and a C182 of equal years/hours.

Lycoming vs. Continental?

Mooney M20C vs Bonanza 35?

I'm looking for a rough idea, knowing that exact numbers are not possible.

Thanks for tolerating this newbie type of question that may have been asked before...

too many variables...condition, operating history, maintenance history, equipment

rentals in your area can give you a ball park figure, the owners have already run the numbers

Twice fuel cost will give you a rough number to use for operating costs in a Cessna

Last edited:
Welcome to POA. My Cherokee 140 received a wings-off restoration 5 years ago. It has averaged about $1000/year.

Twice fuel cost will give you a rough number to use for operating costs in a Cessna

I do as much work (supervised w/A&P) as I can on our Aztec and that formula works pretty good for me.... if all maintenence were performed by others for $, it would be 4 x fuel... easy.

I completed 14 annuals last year, they all cost $350.00

I have found that twice the fuel cost works pretty well, but usually requires about 300 hrs of flying per year.

Brian

Twice the fuel costs... Thanks. That is simple enough math for me.

Next question is, how much is a typical engine overhaul?

Does anyone know what an approximate cost to overhaul a 4 cylinder Lycoming O-320 150 hp engine compared to the Continental O-300D 145 hp six cylinder?

I hear the Continental has a lower number of hours before OH and the additional cylinders might make it more expensive. Is this the case? How much more?

PA-25-250, (Piper Pawnee), O-540 Lyc.
Low of $1800, high of $5000, depends on fabric touch ups and other items found.
This year it was about $3200 with some fabric touch ups, some sheet metal on the belly repaired and two new sets of main wheel bearings.

Std charge is $1200 plus hourly rate and parts for items found to be needing correction.

Last edited:
Pa28-161

My annuals are $500 but the extra maintenance each year of stuff the find bring the total cost to $1500-$2000.

My insurance is right around $1000

However, I was trying to get a feeling how much, on average, various aircraft might cost per year.

I budget about $1000/year for the maintenance expenses for
my cherokee 140. The "annual" is owner-assisted and I do
my own oil changes.

I completed 14 annuals last year, they all cost $350.00
Either you work very cheap, or your annuals aren't very thorough, or you're not telling the whole story.

BTW, if anyone wants a realistic paper based on many years of actual ownership experience about the ownership costs of a simple 4-seat single, shoot me an email. Emails only, please -- no PM's, phone calls, carrier pigeons, brain waves, or smoke signals.

Tom can sure speak for himself. But I'd say $350 is inexpensive not cheap. but regardless my take on Tom's statement was that he charges $350 for the annual and if it needs something then he'd charge more for what ever it may need.

Its like when I get my car inspected as we must to annually here in PA. The inspection is $50. The emissions is $20 and if the inspection shows it needs new breaks then I'm paying extra for new breaks but the inpsection was still only $50.

My limited communication with Tom and what he did with that Fairchild leads me to believe he is not a man to cut corner.

Annual (the event) expense is just about $150 as we do everything ourselves and the "owner" has an IA.

Annual (time) expense is all over the map depending upon what decides to give up the ghost.

Mine cost a few hundred bucks and a few days of my time.

I'll share with you my longish first annual "learning" story, which is actually currently underway. Let me tell you, it was like Russian roulette the first day. I bought a high engine time C-150 cash; all my income can do conservatively at this stage of the rat race we call life, and the aircraft never did fit my mission profile. I simply can't afford my mission profile (two people and bags, IFR, 120+KTAS cruise, mogas primary fuel, fixed gear, fixed prop, light non-competitive acro when not touring) :( . At any rate, back to the current bird... peeling paint and cowling with a rough fiber glass re-work in the corners (the thing vibrates and cracks there). No pre-buy inspection. Giddy up.

My A&P was decent enough to level with me and tackle the potential big "kill" items before going forward. That way if the thing needed multiple cylinders and/or bad corrosion was found I could walk away from my mistake (trying to afford general aviation that is.... but that's for another thread) instead of sinking more money into a losing proposition. Right off the bat he could hear the thing hiss on the "field compression check" so he figured odds were stacked against me right off the bat. Black as night oil indicated certain cylinder blow-by, though I was somewhat confident the bottom end was fine, (unless he finds glitter-full of metal in the screen next week, knock on wood). Opened the cowl and he found a bunch of homemade brew solutions in the landing light wiring (they used a trailer-to-tow-vehicle harness plug, what did I know? :D) and other goofy stuff like a battery he's not positive is certified for the aircraft. That's another thing I've learned about GA recently: certified this and certified that. I'm not one to purposely put my friends and family in danger to cut corners, but man what a racket certified aviation is. So much as sneezing on an aircraft requires some sort of write-up, logbook entry, 337s and the associated middle men and inflated parts costs along the way. It's just not very motivating of a proposition just to putz along at 90KTAS. Then again neither is sinking 90K on an RV-7 to partially mitigate your paperwork hassles, while defeating the marginal cost savings attained by partially bypassing the PMA-paperwork certified nonsense (and it is nonsense)....I digress.

At any rate, so far the wiring harness from the magnetos to the plugs needs to get replaced. Judging by the fact the sucker looks to be the original set (1976), I'd say good on the little rat trap for kicking along that long, that's about the cost of one cylinder ($350), 'cause you can't get the wires individually anymore. Good news was that as dark as the outlook was looking, compression checks turned good on all four. Lowest was a 65. I was floored no cylinder needed to be pulled. Oil leak on one rocker box cover gasket, no biggie. At least that explains the ridiculous oil consumption, I was spitting it out the top of a cylinder all along (O-200s breathe out a ton of oil historically, bad breather tube design, and the engine hasn't been washed since God knows when, so it was hard to discern from my mx n00bie POV). Other than that, no corrosion other than the dusty dry white stuff found on 99% of all metal things flying out there today, so no auto-kill there. Screw set to replace the rusted ones all over the aircraft, and replace an o-ring in left brake caliper and we're good to go so far. All the labor on this stuff will be done annual-rate-inclusive, so the A&P is being a friend (600 for the annual). With parts, assuming the battery doesn't pass the PMA paperwork nonsense test, puts the initial total tally between $1200 and $1500, again knock on wood.

I attribute the general decent condition of the plugs and valves on the fact I run mogas exclusively. 100LL, there's another racket..A $150 paper STC gets me a 50% reduction in operating costs, no amount of preventive mx can match that operating differential, FWIW. Mags were also fine. Rigging was good enough for a speed-of-smell aircraft, the control joints were drier than the desert but all lube and grease comes with the annual, so we're good there. God spared me this time, I think I might just get rid of the thing next year, not tempting fate again.

Lessons learned about mx costs? Treat the top of lycos and cont's as disposable. Bottom ends are pretty bullet proof. Watch for dramatic oil pressure drops when you reduce power and back up to normal pressure on power application as a sign your bottom end is shot (or a streak of oil all down your tail). Always bank on cylinders getting pulled at annuals. That way if you don't have to then you feel a little better about the proposition of bleeding money every year just to be ramp-check legal. Bank at least 600 bucks for a two seater, and 1200 bucks for a 4 seater single engine, before any mx on moving components and before you get to fly a single hour. Welcome to certified aviation :)

So far Im getting off easy for a first time annual. My buddy had a pa-28-140 and $7500 was his tally on the first annual. Corroded nose gear fork, scored cylinders flanges required cosmetic work and as you've seen, you pull that cylinder and the money ticker starts running. Lyco cylinders (320 series) run about $900 per cylinder on average, little cont (c series, O-200 et al) like mine run around $350. Then add labor and tax.

GET A PRE-BUY. Let me say this again, get a PRE-BUY. That said, with the age of these contraptions, I just don't have much confidence a pre-buy can insulate you from these woes, these things are just old. It's pretty sad actually, considering it's 2010. Looking at these shiny new experimentals make my eyes kitten-like, but then I look at the price tag and realize the world's gone mad.

P.S. Twice the gas didn't work for me. :D

Either you work very cheap, or your annuals aren't very thorough, or you're not telling the whole story.

BTW, if anyone wants a realistic paper based on many years of actual ownership experience about the ownership costs of a simple 4-seat single, shoot me an email. Emails only, please -- no PM's, phone calls, carrier pigeons, brain waves, or smoke signals.

I do work cheap, and the inspection is a flat rate.

I charge $50 per hour for labor on maintenance.

Remember??????? repairs and inspections are separate.

I'll share with you my longish first annual "learning" story, which is actually currently underway. Let me tell you, it was like Russian roulette the first day.<snip>. :D

The thing you did right was start with something like a C-150.

PA28 or C-172 are similar, They can be expensive but nothing like a Bonanza or other complex aircraft.

Or in my case I started with certified glider and then an experimental amateur built glider.

Annual inspections are less than $100, often less than $50 on the glider. Of course repairs are extra but I do most of my own repair work.

Brian

Pencils are still very inexpensive.:rolleyes:

So are the flash light, inspection mirror, and common hand tools to preform the inspection.

Remember I am not required to repair anything, during any inspection.

Or do you believe in the 13th month maintenance period is an annual inspection.

I also maintain 2 aircraft for free, because I am allowed to fly the aircraft any time the owners are not.

You folks the believe that you can drop off your aircraft at the FBO and pick it up after you pay the 10-15 grand, and believe that is normal probably don't understand the best deal in aviation is your local freelanced A&P-IA.

My annuals start at $4000.00 and have gone as high as $530,000.00.

Kevin

I do work cheap, and the inspection is a flat rate.

I charge $50 per hour for labor on maintenance.

Remember??????? repairs and inspections are separate.

The question posed was "What are the annual maintenance costs?". The fee for an inspection is not relevant to the question, as an inspection is not maintenance, although an accountant may classify it with maintenance.

Mine runs about $300-$500, including $250 for the condition inspection. Last year is on track for about $400, including the new tach and a battery for the ELT. But then, the tach only cost $60, and I'm not required to have an ELT...

Ron Wanttaja

The question posed was "What are the annual maintenance costs?". The fee for an inspection is not relevant to the question, as an inspection is not maintenance, although an accountant may classify it with maintenance.

You seem to have missed the point too. lots of these "Annuals" include the equipment added during the 13th month maintenance period.

You seem to have missed the point too. lots of these "Annuals" include the equipment added during the 13th month maintenance period.

I didn't miss the point. I was simply pointing out that you hijacked a thread asking about the annual maintenance cost to discuss an annual inspection.

Shall we discuss the annuals I just finished planting as well?

I didn't miss the point. I was simply pointing out that you hijacked a thread asking about the annual maintenance cost to discuss an annual inspection.

Shall we discuss the annuals I just finished planting as well?

Hijack? Hardly!

Then again neither is sinking 90K on an RV-7 to partially mitigate your paperwork hassles, while defeating the marginal cost savings attained by partially bypassing the PMA-paperwork certified nonsense (and it is nonsense)....I digress.

A 9K Fly Baby solves a lot of problems.

Mooney M20C vs Bonanza 35?

I'm looking for a rough idea, knowing that exact numbers are not possible.

Thanks for tolerating this newbie type of question that may have been asked before...

I've budgeted 4 AMU for my M20E. It's typically 2 AMU for an "everything's fine" annual, but on a 40 year old plane there is usually something needed.

It boils down to how handy you are and how valuable your time is. If you have time and skills you can do an owner assisted annual, which on a Mooney is significant since a major piece of the cost is labor.

This year cost was only $1,260 including around 85.00 in Oil, filter and parts and $25.00 for oil sample check.

I'm adding $490 for wingtips plus the cost of installation.

I think I'll have some money left over for fuel this year :D

Total cost of operating the Fairchild this year was $0.00

Total cost of operating the Fairchild this year was $0.00

Hey, that's what it was for my motorcycle last year too. Primarily because it sat parked in the garage the whole year. :rolleyes:

A lot of it depends on how good of a plane you buy in the first place, and how nit-picky you are about little things. I'm pretty nit picky personally, and as such I've ended up working on a lot of little items that aren't necessary per se, but are good to do. As such, my first year maintenance costs were equal to a good chunk of purchase price.

Most people I know with 172s and PA28s don't have to spend much on maintenance, especially if they hangar the things. I know one person who had to put a new engine in his PA28 not long after purchase because the thing broke a bunch of tappets. I also have one friend who's put over $100,000 into her beater Warrior (including upgrading it to a new 180 hp engine). Then I know people who've bought planes and had virtually no maintenance issues on them in the first year.

Generally it seems that if you want to spend the least amount of money, don't buy a beater (unless you get a real screaming deal). If you buy a beater, understand that you'll spend a bunch of money on it, but it will end up the way you want it. That strategy has worked well for me and a few others I know who've done similar.

Back