What are these antenna?

johnxreid

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JR
Random question here, but does anyone know what these antenna arrays are for (the ones surrounding the terminal radar)? I see them at every airport but usually not next to radar. Usually in groups of four towers and always arranged in a square layout. I've never been able to figure out their purpose and hoping one of your might know.

vr8npv.jpg

Random question here, but does anyone know what these antenna arrays are for (the ones surrounding the terminal radar)?/QUOTE]

Educated wild ass guess ... remnants of the antennas for the old 1940s-50s AN range that have been decommissioned and are now the antenna mast for some com radio antennas.

Jim

Educated wild ass guess ... remnants of the antennas for the old 1940s-50s AN range that have been decommissioned and are now the antenna mast for some com radio antennas.

You're about half-right. They're for communications radios, they were not formerly used for AN ranges.

I agree with Steve. The four towers are a pretty standard ATC com radio setup. The key is the cross tree with the smaller VHF antennas on it. The old AN stations had four antennas but in the early instantiations had wire loops strung across them and in the later ones just used four vertical antennas not entirely unlike AM broadcast towers.

'tain't a word that scrabble recognizes. What the hell is an instantiation? Not to mention an instantiation0?

Jim

Object oriented programming term. To create an object instance of a class.

From the OED:

instantiation, n.
The action or fact of instantiating; representation by an instance.

The term while used in OO programming as mention actually has its roots in philosophy.
The scrabble dictionary only has roots and only deals with words playable (seven letters).

No 0 on the end in my post either Jim, that last letter is an 's' (and no it hasn't been edited).

The straight one on the right controls the chemtrail dispensers.

Back