What are the chances......

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
....of the TFR blocking the Hudson river being lifted prior to Saturday? I thought it would be nice to treat the "copilot" to a flight up the Hudson on the way to HYA on Saturday, but it doesn't look like it will be open by then.

Is the TFR due to the plane/helo accident or some other reason? I'm on the road and communications are limited...so I don't get the news.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Let's just shut it down because of one accident. Morons.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Let's just shut it down because of one accident. Morons.

So far it is just for the recovery operation, which is reasonable. It remains to be seen whether it will become permanent.

It only allows 400 feet to operate in under the class B airspace, and travelling north, you need to duck down quickly to 1100 feet. I have no desire to squeeze things that tight. I just wondered if the recovery operation was proceeding fast enough to be cleared by then. Anyone in the area close enough to be in the know?

Just go through on a Class Bravo clearance....

So far it is just for the recovery operation, which is reasonable. It remains to be seen whether it will become permanent.

It only allows 400 feet to operate in under the class B airspace, and travelling north, you need to duck down quickly to 1100 feet. I have no desire to squeeze things that tight. I just wondered if the recovery operation was proceeding fast enough to be cleared by then. Anyone in the area close enough to be in the know?

The two times I've flown the Hudson (both within the past two months), I asked for and got Class B clearance to stay above the VFR corridor, both times on a weekend. The main thing is they want you to sound like you know what you're doing, and if so they'll be pretty accommodating. I'd give that a shot.

I didn't know the closure was for the recovery operations. I agree, that is reasonable.

It is not a shutdown of the corridor, it's a TFR over an accident site. This is typical in high-vis accidents and used to keep gawkers out of the way while rescue, recovery, and investigation are in progress. See http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_3459.html, and note the words "TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ACCIDENT RECOVERY" in the NOTAM. Also note that it doesn't completely close the corridor, just establishes a 1nm radius up to 1000 MSL, which actually allows overflight between 1000 and 1100 MSL.

I heard they just recovered Steve and Daniel Altmans bodies from the plane yesterday so perhaps they will remove the TFR today.

Adam, am I correct that Steve Altman was based at Wings? I thought I read that somewhere.

Just a horrible thing....

Back