Depends on the airport. Flew into KCAK and their is almost nothing going on for long periods of time. Only 114 operations a day vs 363 at KISP. So much so that on departure the controller requested our destination and did flight following without telling us. I think he just wanted something to do.

Usually a good idea to tell them where you are and altitude. Big screen, little dot. N12345 is a cessna 172, 20 miles east at 3000, inbound for landing information bravo
Precisely. A succinct proper call up will often get you in when they're telling other people to remain clear.

Precisely. A succinct proper call up will often get you in when they're telling other people to remain clear.

But in this case— again if you took off from Islip you got a code from clearance delivery before you took off and stayed on that code for the entire flight to the practice area and now, once you are trying to return to the airport they already know where you are.

When you climb out of Islip tower switches you to NY approach and you say something like

“ NY approach Skyhawk 12345 climbing 800 for 2,000 runway heading( or assigned heading if you’ve be told a heading.”

They reply with

“ N12345 radar contact proceed on course( or give some other instruction if required.” The response “radar contact” is their way of saying— “we got you on our screen.”

Believe me- telling them “N12345 in the south practice area with bravo would like to return to Islip” will almost certainly result in some sort of a “ N12345 no need to tell me where you are your on a code and I’ve been looking out for you the entire flight.”

Again, I flew and continue to fly in this airspace. I know exactly how it works when taking off from Islip and flying around here. I’m trying to give people accurate info to this situation at the airport being discussed.

If you remain on the squawk and never left their frequency while in the practice area, all you need to tell them for the return is: 'NY approach, N12345 request return to Islip, full stop' which will get you some kind of instruction on a pattern entry and an altitude or altitude restriction.

Back