What are all the overhaul acronyms?

Smoh since major overhaul
Stoh. Since top overhaul
Soh Since overhaul
Sfrm. since factory reman
Spoh. Since prop overhaul.

What about SCMOH?
What is the difference between, overhaul, major overhaul, and factory remanufacture

Why would Continental overhaul a Lycoming

What about SCMOH?
What is the difference between, overhaul, major overhaul, and factory remanufacture

Lycoming refers to it as a "factory rebuilt" engine, and I think Continental uses "remanufactured". It differs from an overhauled engine in that its an engine built by Lycoming or Continental from a combination of new and reconditioned parts to new engine tolerances and you end up with a new engine serial number and "zero time" logbook. Unlike an actual new engine a factory rebuilt or remanufactured engine is almost always built around a used engine case and reconditioned crankshaft. And therein lies the problem over an overhaul of your own engine, which history you will know. Personally, I would not be highly motivated to exchange a first run engine core for a FRM engine.

SCMOH is chrome - Fast Eddie had it correct above.

I prefer SFFMOH (Firefox)

ROFL :D

[for us budget constrained twin drivers, ROFL can also mean "right overhauled, ferrying left"]

Last edited:
Then there is:
Factory New
Factory Reman (this is all components brought to factory spec and it is zero time engine. Can start new logs)
Rebuilt (means many things, but NOT zero time)
New cylinders
Honed cylinders
Re-Bored cylinders (I think they can do this?, not sure)
Topped (cylinders done one of the above 3, new valves, INSPECT cam. leave the crank alone)
SCMOH is Since COMPLETE major overhaul. But just what is that?

Thats the trouble with overhauls, there are all kinds of them. Need to look in the logs and see just what was done and by whom. Call and talk to him.

One problem with zero time, you don't know how old the core is, do you?

Last edited:
A top does not address the cam or followers. It's just a cylinder job. You have to split the case to get the cam out.

Good point.

But you can INSPECT the cam through the cylinder holes, can't you?

Last edited:
I opted for a factory reman TIO-540 Lycoming for my Mirage. It was a first time OH block with what appeared to be all new components. New exhaust, turbos, wiring, injectors, cylinders, pistons etc. I do not know if the cam was new or reman. It runs like a dream and burns only a quart of oil every 10 hours. I have watched my local shop struggle with problems on overhauled engines and decided to go as close to new as I could. Cost for new was 120 and reman was 85. 0 time engine seems to help the value too.

I opted for a factory reman TIO-540 Lycoming for my Mirage. It was a first time OH block with what appeared to be all new components. New exhaust, turbos, wiring, injectors, cylinders, pistons etc. I do not know if the cam was new or reman. It runs like a dream and burns only a quart of oil every 10 hours. I have watched my local shop struggle with problems on overhauled engines and decided to go as close to new as I could. Cost for new was 120 and reman was 85. 0 time engine seems to help the value too.

How do you know it was a first run case?

My understanding is that Lycoming assigns a new serial number to their "Zero Time Factory Rebuilt" engines and there's no way to trace the case or crankshaft history.

And no one has said "read FAR 43.2" that is simply the answer to all the mis-info giving here.

OBTW there is no such thing as a re-manufactured engine, And there is no such thing as a top end. Top end is an engine repair of the cylinder group.

Just remember,, "C is C" or Chrome is Crap.

Everyone understands the market phrase "factory reman" means a factory overhaul to new limits that comes with an FAA legal zero time logbook. NOBODY cares that the FAA doesn't use that term. Lycoming uses "rebuild" instead of reman but the market has embraced reman and it's implied benefits.

Everyone understands the market phrase "factory reman" means a factory overhaul to new limits that comes with an FAA legal zero time logbook. NOBODY cares that the FAA doesn't use that term. Lycoming uses "rebuild" instead of reman but the market has embraced reman and it's implied benefits.

If that were true, why the thread?
Problem is, there is no mention of the term in any regulation.

Back