What about Autism?

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Unregistered, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

After reading some threads on ADD/ADHD I'm wondering what is the FAA's position on Autism? I have a son who is closing in on three years old and is showing some signs of being on the spectrum. This little boy loves airplanes and I'm worried to what level being labeled as someone on the spectrum will affect any future plans towards aviation he may have in the future.

MIFlyer likes this.
  2. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    steingar
    Everyone is somewhere on the spectrum. My guess is if the poor tyke can avoid some damn diagnosis he'll be just fine. Then again, a little boy liking airplanes and an adult wanting to fly airplanes are really different animals. Putting cart before horse territory.

3. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201102_color.pdf
    "Case by case" are FAA code words for "sucks to be you".

4. midcap

midcap Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    midcap
    At least the FAA acknowledges it as a spectrum disorder, unlike ADD, which is Ironic.

5. N918KT

N918KT Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    KT
    I was also diagnosed somewhere on the autism spectrum back in high school I believe. Before that I had ADHD at a young age. I currently take medication which would preclude me from getting even a 3rd class medical.

But even if I never taken medication and just had the autism diagnosis come after the ADHD diagnosis, does that mean in the FAA's point of view that I never had ADHD in the first place? Would an autism diagnosis replace the ADHD diagnosis?

Comparing autism and ADHD, I know that both are unfavorable diagnosis for getting a medical, but would one have a better chance of getting a medical if they had autism vs. ADHD and don't take any meds?