What a flight!

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
Today I went on a great flight. It was one of those spectacular days around me with little wind and no clouds and unlimited visibility. I asked my Dad if he wanted to come along and he said yes. I was pumped because I've only flown with him once in my 2 years as a pilot.

We took off, an interessting take off with a plane taking off the parrallel runway and a helicopter taking off the sod to the left of my runway, nothing like threading the needle, and headed east along the south shore of Long Island, all the way out to East Hampton. My Dad wanted to see the damage that Hurrincane Sandy caused to the south shore and check out his fishing spots out there to see how they were impacted. Needless to say, the damage was intense. Along the way, my Dad was pointing out spots and really loving it! We got out to East Hampton and I decided to cancel my flight following because our original intention was to go out around the point of Montauk, only about 10 more miles. Cancelled the flight following and literally 2 minutes later Dad turns to me and says- "lets go back to Islip( my home airport) I got to pee." I laughed and explained that I really need to contact ATC and advise them that we need flight following again( Islip is a class C and I don't like flying around without it.) I said, "Dad if I give ATC a call right now and ask for flight follwing again he'll think I'm the dumbest guy in the world." He and I had a good laugh and we headed up to the north shore and went back. As it is the approach controller joked when I called him back 5 minutes later to get flight following again- He "welcomed me back." Made it back to Islip and landed nicely and as we were taxing back I really just kept thinking how awesome the chance to do this kind of thing is. Flying and sharing these experiences just is awesome. Even after dinner my Dad is still talking about the flight, glad I had this day!

Yeah, very nice weather today. I was gonna go up, but all the rentals I use at FRG was already booked. Quite shocking how those beaches look though.

Treasure those flights.

Yeah this is my thoughts exactly. Nice to spend time with people you love doing things I love. Also good to get some quality time with my Dad and now that we are both adults with lives of our own the time we spend together has to mean something even more!

Yeah, very nice weather today. I was gonna go up, but all the rentals I use at FRG was already booked. Quite shocking how those beaches look though.

Truly a shock. Literally no beach out there out east in spots!

No bumps for you yesterday? It was very bumpy at WST/GON/IJD.

Why couldn't you land at Montauk or East Hampton to let him pee?

Yeah I could have but it was only about 20 minutes on the return flight to Islip with the nice tailwind. I asked if he wanted to land somewhere but he said lets just go back- he was kind of nervous about landing somewhere else I think.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if Montauk has a bathroom open during the off season.

No sir. The guys where I rent from said the same thing about some other flights they went on earlier in the day. Truthfully it was one of the smoothest most enjoyable flights I've been on. We kept it at 3,500 headed east as dropped down to 3,000 for the return west. Only real bumps were when we descended into Islip but that always happens.

Yeah the AIRMET went all the way down to south of Richmond. I was a little worried flying down to Williamsburg yesterday, but it was some of the smoothest flying I've ever done, with the exception of our approach into Williamsburg, where it got a bit bumpy below 3000 or so. I was at 4500 down and 5500 back.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if Montauk has a bathroom open during the off season.

I landed at Gabreski for the same purpose, and the good people at Malloy didn't charge me a landing/parking fee. :thumbsup:

I'm just starting PPL training and can't wait to bring my dad on a flight. glad you had such an amazing experience!

Back