What a day!!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Hey all,
I woke up this morning and within 10 min. called PTS AWOS to see how the winds were. Perfect!! I went this morning at about 10 with my little brother, he is 10 and he loves every minute of being up there. Me and him flew about an hour, i took him over Twin oaks (08MO) and he thought that was real neat, took him back and my mom was waiting to go for a ride. She was scared to death, luckily i made a good landing when we came back, but she was glad to be on the ground. I had to give her the keep your hands off the controls when we land speech. haha!! Then me and my dad went up for about 15 min or so.
Got done with all that at around 12 and then at 2 i took my girlfriend for her first ride, she really enjoyed it which is good because she kinda has to understand why i love it. All in all a great day, lot of experience in taking passengers. And a whole lot calming people down(Mom) haha.

Rudy,

Sounds great. My first passenger was my Dad. He had been so supportive during my training.

Mt second passenger was my wife. We flew from Cable, Upland Ca. to Bullhead City, NV.

Of course we started late and there was turbulence across the desert. She hurled once due to the chop but was a trooper throughout. Landed in +20kts headwinds which was probably more than I should have been handling at that point but all worked out.

This stuff is fun!

Is there a reason you didn't take more than 1 persona at a time? Your sig says you fly a Cherokee. Just wondering.

Danno

Dan Deutsch said:
Rudy,

Sounds great. My first passenger was my Dad. He had been so supportive during my training.

Mt second passenger was my wife. We flew from Cable, Upland Ca. to Bullhead City, NV.

Of course we started late and there was turbulence across the desert. She hurled once due to the chop but was a trooper throughout. Landed in +20kts headwinds which was probably more than I should have been handling at that point but all worked out.

This stuff is fun!

Is there a reason you didn't take more than 1 persona at a time? Your sig says you fly a Cherokee. Just wondering.

Danno
Yeah, i could of easily done so, but i only have one extra pair of headsets, and i wanted to talk to all of them while i did it, just in case they had a question!

Rudy said:
Yeah, i could of easily done so, but i only have one extra pair of headsets, and i wanted to talk to all of them while i did it, just in case they had a question!

Besides, that way you had to spend more time in the air.

My wife was my first pax and she must have been OK with it 'cause she's never expressed any concern over a flight with me other than one time the engine coughed as we were approaching Lake Michigan for a crossing (we went around).

If you're anywhere near serious about this GF, I recommend you make the effort to gain her appreciation for the benefit of GA. Flying as a hobby is tough enough on a relationship when the SO receives some recognizable rewards. When the SO sees nothing but a money pit and reason for time away from them, well, just check the divorce rate for pilots.

lancefisher said:
Besides, that way you had to spend more time in the air.

My wife was my first pax and she must have been OK with it 'cause she's never expressed any concern over a flight with me other than one time the engine coughed as we were approaching Lake Michigan for a crossing (we went around).

If you're anywhere near serious about this GF, I recommend you make the effort to gain her appreciation for the benefit of GA. Flying as a hobby is tough enough on a relationship when the SO receives some recognizable rewards. When the SO sees nothing but a money pit and reason for time away from them, well, just check the divorce rate for pilots.
Haha!! She understands, in fact she was talking today about how great it is that i enjoy it so much!! She knows its what i wanna do.

Rudy said:
Hey all,
i took him over Twin oaks (08MO) and he thought that was real neat,

Hey Rudy, sorry we missed your fly-by. We went to a fly-in at Tenkiller Lake; lots of neat airplanes there.

Sounds like you had a great day flying! Glad you finally got to take your family and your lady. :)

Diana said:
Hey Rudy, sorry we missed your fly-by. We went to a fly-in at Tenkiller Lake; lots of neat airplanes there.

Sounds like you had a great day flying! Glad you finally got to take your family and your lady. :)
Yeah it was great!!! Had a blast and made all good landings!!

lancefisher said:
I recommend you make the effort to gain her appreciation for the benefit of GA. Flying as a hobby is tough enough on a relationship when the SO receives some recognizable rewards.
Well, When I turned 40 I told my wife that I was scheduling my mid-life-crisis and it was her choice. I could trade her in on two 20 year old coeds or I could get a new plane.

She was not amused...

Seriously, though. My wife figured it out for me. She said, "For you flying is the point. For your passengers the destination is the point."

I finally figured that out and started scheduling 3-4 hour trips with overnighters in cool places.

The best of these trips was something like this:

Day one - Cable - Catalina Island - Overnight
Day two - Catalina - Palomar - Dinner with friends, overnight
Day three - Palomar - Palm Springs - tennis, pool, mexican dinner - 2 X overnight
Day five - Palm Springs - Paso Robles - wine tasting, friends - 2 X overnight
Day seven - Paso Robles - Tahoe - Gambling, hiking - Overnight
Day 8 - Tahoe - Cable

Plenty of flying for me (OK I could have used more - Ha ha) but she still talks about what a great trip it was.

We've done a bunch of other stuff like that. The interesting thing is, there have been days where we had to wait out or divert for weather. One day was about 12 hours enroute. Probably at my limits as well as hers but she understands this kind of ting now and figures it goes with the territory.

Lance's advice is right on. Make sure you bring her along with your "other passion."

Danno

Dan Deutsch said:
She said, "For you flying is the point. For your passengers the destination is the point."Danno

My wife has been flying with me for almost 30 years and this single point is the key to flying happily together. Make sure the destination is worth the trip. I could fly straight to hell and be happy about the flight. She needs to have something to look forward to once we arrive. It's not that hard to strike the compromise. Keep the legs under 2.5 hours and make sure you don't pick your fuel stops based on the price of fuel. Clean facilities, good food, and maybe even an entertaining stop will win the day.

Chip

gibbons said:
Keep the legs under 2.5 hours and make sure you don't pick your fuel stops based on the price of fuel. Clean facilities, good food, and maybe even an entertaining stop will win the day.Chip
Oh, yes! And don't skimp out on the hotel.

You're flying an expensive "toy", spending way more than you "need" to to get there. Don't blow it by staying at a flop house - LOL

Swimming pool, tennis courts, maybe some shopping (ok definitely some shopping) and a spa at the end of the flight are all sure to make the airplane a "necessary" family member.

Danno

gibbons said:
My wife has been flying with me for almost 30 years and this single point is the key to flying happily together. Make sure the destination is worth the trip. . She needs to have something to look forward to once we arrive. It's not that hard to strike the compromise.
Chip

I'm hoping that when you get your Citabria she might want to fly into the farm to pick fresh blueberries.
:)

Diana said:
I'm hoping that when you get your Citabria she might want to fly into the farm to pick fresh blueberries.
:)

I'm sure she will. That goes back to making sure the destination is the main part of the trip :)

Chip

Back