What a day

MoltenLava

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MoltenLava
Haven't flown much since getting PPL early December last year due to weather and what not. I flew four times in last three months, but one meaningful flight excluding airplane checkouts. Today the weather looked GREAT. Came in to the airport at 9am, did preflight, contact LVK ground for closed traffic for a couple of landings before heading out. The ground controller advised turbulence throughout Livermore valley. That was a little odd because ground controller seldom provided weather information, and it's always usually a little turbulent in the morning as the ground heats up anyways. I took off anyways, and did two landings in the pattern. The air was somewhat turbulent but not too bad. I then asked for southbound departure and proceeded to WVI.

The air was turbulent throughout the flight to WVI. I kept having to slow down to maneuvering speed each time I hit a significant bump. I landed at WVI and decided to take a short break before heading back. As I was getting ready to take off again I checked the weather at WVI AWOS. The wind was gusting to 20kt but manageable. Took off and followed the coast line to HAF. The air continued to be somewhat turbulent throughout. Went over Dumbarton bridge and checked LVK ATIS at Sunol. There was a special weather advisory saying the wind from 350 at 20kt gusting to 30kt. The runways on LVK are 07-25, so it's pretty much direct cross wind. Not only that there was wind shear advisory at 50ft AGL for 5kt and drop of 30ft. Say what?? That was the oh sh*t moment for me. I did check the fuel at WVI and there were 10 gallons in each tank. Considering 7-8gph burn rate of C172M I could divert to another airport, but LVK is usually the most calm airport around there. As I was approaching the runway the controller continued to provide the wind information, ranging from 15-20kt gusting to 25-30kt. The first approach didn't feel right, and I did go around. The wind was slightly calmer the next time around, at 15kt gusting to 25kt. I landed, and boy, was I so glad to be back on the ground.

As I was taxing to FBO there was a gust of wind that took the nosewheel off the ground. The aircraft veered to the left, but I've put the nose down and steered right to stay on the taxi way. Sh*t that has NEVER happened to me before! Parked the airplane and went into FBO to hear people saying about the monstrous wind that day. An hour before I landed a Citabria almost ground looped and had to divert to Byron. (Good luck landing there!) Came home and checked liveatc.net to hear the chaos. There is some interesting transmission around the end of Feb-15-1900Z and onto 1930Z. Apparently Air Force Three was after the Citabria that almost ground looped, and the tower was asking Air Force Three to check for any damage on the runway. I didn't know there was Air Force *Three*. Anyways, I'm glad that I'm back on the ground and sipping Bourbon. What a joy.

Technically, Air Force 3 would be the speaker of the house. Nancy was in town?

Nancy lost that job in the last election.

I believe Obama arrives tomorrow

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFR OVER SAN FRANCISCO, CA BEGINNING THURSDAY A NOTAM has been issued that will restrict flight in the area during President Obama's planned visit.

==> 30 NM RADIUS TFR <==
Surface to 17,999-ft-MSL

Times:
12:15 PM local until 1:30 PM local Thursday, February 16, 2012
8:15 AM local until 9:30 AM local Friday, February 17, 2012

Yes, and it REALLY put a damper in my plans.

Back