What’s all this stuff behind my panel?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
What is this power inverter for?
7C06B98A-8F79-4992-ACC9-C4749C5B9C66.jpeg

And did these two pinned connectors and the coax go to an ADF or LORAN?
A9C0B880-72AD-46F1-985F-9BE057EDBDFE.jpeg

What a nasty mess...

Before I upgraded my panel, I had loose wires and an unlabeled switch that seem to do nothing. I would leave it alone till the day comes to upgrade.

That Inverta-pak 71254-7 is worth north of $400 used. It's a DC to AC voltage inverter.

Last edited:
If you ever do a significant panel upgrade, you can go through all the stuff behind the panel and remove a significant amount of weight. When I replaced my audio panel and installed a GNS-430W, my avionics guy removed two banker boxes full of cables, connectors, and miscellaneous electronic rot that was no longer being used but never removed. I forget the exact numbers, but I GAINED quite a few pounds of useful load, despite adding several pounds of new avionics and wiring.

Yeah, inverta pak for dimmable low voltage lighting. That 2nd pic is what happens when you have a radio removed and don't delete the associated wiring. It does look like wiring for an old ADF system. That one connector looks like it could be from a loop antenna.

Thanks all.

I have airliner style tail-lights that will also eventually be removed...these are the fancy lamps on the horiz stab that shine onto the vert stab that I guess were the shiznit back in the day.

Last edited:
And after sitting under my Mooney panel routing the wires for the JPI I'm amazed that some people have that much empty space in their panel.

Thanks all.

I have airliner style tail-lights that will also eventually be removed...these are the fancy lamps on the horiz stab that shine onto the vert stab that I guess were the shiznit back in the day.

LOL. And some here complain Cessna doesn't "innovate". Looks like years later shiznit lighting is making a comeback. :rolleyes::D

upload_2018-8-28_17-22-17.png
upload_2018-8-28_17-23-21.png

And after sitting under my Mooney panel routing the wires for the JPI I'm amazed that some people have that much empty space in their panel.

The 182 panel is ridiculously huge. I could put a third Garmin 750 in there (not one-third, a third one).

"Mooney" and "empty space" don't generally come to mind at the same time...

"Mooney" and "empty space" don't generally come to mind at the same time...

Every avionics guy I talk to whines about working behind the panel of my Mooney. My IA took 4 hours to replace my 2 defroster hoses, because it was tight fit. The sloped windscreen prevents being able to look straight down. This is why stuff gets left behind on small jobs, big jobs they ripped out everything from the front.

Back