Went to MCI this morning!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
A guy out at the airport that flies a BE36-TC for a company here in town, asked me if I wanted to go with him today to Kansas City International to pick up his boss.
So.. of course I didn't turn him down,
It was great, on the way there the ceiling tops were at about 5,800 and we were cruising at 6,000 (wish I would have brought a camera)
Then on the way home we were in clouds almsot the whole way.
I made most of the radio calls, which was good practice. It was eneventful mostly, pretty bumpy close the the ground due to exremely gusty winds, but besides that it was a great flight.

Just thought I would share,

Cool Rudy, I was thinking about getting some actual today, but the ceilings went up and the wind is blowing strong here. Gusts over 30 knots on my 24 foot wide runway surrounded by trees is just no fun. Maybe tommorow. This low is keeping the crud in the area for the weekend.
MCI is the only Class B ive landed at, I found it real easy to get into. Even easier than previous trips to Kansas City Downtown.

I've got to say, that some of my favorite flights have been just on top of the cloud deck. Absolutely gorgeous up there.

That sounds like a blast Rudy! How was the ride? Smooth or bumpy?

I always find the ride just above the clouds to be smoooth :)

One of my favorite things is breaking through the cloud deck to on top. Poof! In the sunshine. :yes:

not always. Tomorrow, high of 35 here. 2ºC/1000 temp drop. Can you say ground bound?

All right, Rudy.

I flew into MCI at night with my CFI during PPL training for a touch and go.

My 12 yr old daughter was in the back seat. When I turned left-base-to-final on 1L and got lined up with the runway and approach lights, we both said 'WOW'. I didn't think there were that many lights in one place outside of Vegas.

MCI seems to have a VFR friendly reputation for both transition and the occasional touch and go.

SkyHog said:
That sounds like a blast Rudy! How was the ride? Smooth or bumpy?
Pretty smooth up on top, but are approach was rough, mainly due to winds.

Matthew said:
All right, Rudy.

I flew into MCI at night with my CFI during PPL training for a touch and go.

My 12 yr old daughter was in the back seat. When I turned left-base-to-final on 1L and got lined up with the runway and approach lights, we both said 'WOW'. I didn't think there were that many lights in one place outside of Vegas.

MCI seems to have a VFR friendly reputation for both transition and the occasional touch and go.
I can imagine that it would be pretty lit up at night!

Wasn't MCI originally named Mid-Continent International - hence MCI. I've been a passenger a couple of time departing on the airlines when downtown was THE Kansas City Airport. Once was on a TWA Connie on my way to Navy boot camp in San Diego in 1958. The other flight was a few years earlier on Continental to Denver and then on a UAL DC-3 to California.

Graueradler said:
Wasn't MCI originally named Mid-Continent International - hence MCI. I've been a passenger a couple of time departing on the airlines when downtown was THE Kansas City Airport. Once was on a TWA Connie on my way to Navy boot camp in San Diego in 1958. The other flight was a few years earlier on Continental to Denver and then on a UAL DC-3 to California.

I think that's how the MCI came about. The downtown airport still has a Connie on display in a museum. It used to fly up until a just a cople of years ago, but I don't know if it does anymore.

Matthew said:
I think that's how the MCI came about. The downtown airport still has a Connie on display in a museum. It used to fly up until a just a cople of years ago, but I don't know if it does anymore.

The Connie blew an engine. I think they were having some funding problems getting the engine overhauled and put back on. I believe they got several spare engines when they bought the airplane. But I really don't know the status on that project right now.

They were able to get it back in the air after a long mx down time.

http://www.airlinehistorymuseum.com/index.htm

Greg Bockelman said:
The Connie blew an engine. I think they were having some funding problems getting the engine overhauled and put back on. I believe they got several spare engines when they bought the airplane. But I really don't know the status on that project right now.

Last edited:
I'll be looking for it.

Just before they were grounded because of the blown engine/fire, I got caught at a traffic light watching the Connie flying overhead. I don't remember how many times the light changed and how many cars were honking at me, but I was going to watch that airplane!

Back