Welp, I'm glad at least the plane and pilot made it out okay...

1e95f1f7ee564f891543627bb491ace1.jpg

However, as Jon got further out onto the wing of the plane, it caused the small Cessna to go into a downward spiral that the pilot couldn't correct," the statement said.

Apparently he practiced "for months". I guess no one brought up the subject of lift, and what happens when you interrupt the flow over a wing.

Hard to understand what the pilot thought was going to happen as he got farther out on the wing. Also, the fact that there was not enough altitude to open the chute.

Maybe there's more to the story....

I'm thinking of setting up a GoFundMe page to help with my celebration of life. Except I am going to do it while I am still alive to celebrate.

Seriously, though this is definitely Darwinish, my condolences to friends and family. RIP.

I wonder what his "training" involved. Watching YouTube videos of actual wingwalkers? This article is so devoid of information it's hard to glean anything from it.

<Insert media barbs here>

However, as Jon got further out onto the wing of the plane, it caused the small Cessna to go into a downward spiral that the pilot couldn't correct," the statement said.

Apparently he practiced "for months". I guess no one brought up the subject of lift, and what happens when you interrupt the flow over a wing.

Hard to understand what the pilot thought was going to happen as he got farther out on the wing. Also, the fact that there was not enough altitude to open the chute.

Maybe there's more to the story....
He held on while the plane spun. Gonna lose altitude pretty quickly.

There has to be a vid somewhere... keep an eye out on liveleak

After watching some YT video I bet he spent a couple of months intensely working on a simulator. Worked there why not In real life!

Where’s the video?

The comments on the original article are priceless...

I don't get how the airplane recovered, yet the rapping wing walker didn't have enough altitude to pull his chute.

I don't get how the airplane recovered, yet the rapping wing walker didn't have enough altitude to pull his chute.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it too morbid to wish the whole thing was on video somewhere?

Me neither. Just doesn't add up, has to be more to the story. Though its been quite a few years since I've flown jumpers, I have no memory of the 182 being difficult to control with them out on the step and hanging on the strut.

Of course they weren't moving out toward the end of the wing. But in the Porter, jumpers would sometimes grab the strut and swing their feet up and hook their feet over the leading edge and then hang upside down and 'walk' themselves out to the end of the wing before flexing their feet and sliding off. In the Porter it took a bit of left stick to correct and stay level, but otherwise the plane hardly felt it. I could see a 182 being a bit more sensitive due to the shorter wingspan but a downward spiral? Seems a stretch.

I've also seen jumpers open under 1000ft. Way under. Not smart, but I've seen them do it. So a Cessna in a spiral has enough altitude to recover but the jumper couldn't open? Seems fishy. Unless his 'months of intense training' didn't involve any practice jumps.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it too morbid to wish the whole thing was on video somewhere?
They were filming a music video, so there's going to be footage from multiple angles. We may never see it though.

I'm wondering how someone wing walks on a Cessna.

Thanks he'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your bartenders.

Walk a Cessna wing? And hold onto what? Was there a rig installed that spanned the wing?

I wonder what the appropriate spin recovery method might be, for this situation.

The PARE acronym might need to be adapted, with something like “Rudder opposite rapper, eh?”

Thanks. Like being on reserve at an airline then?

Never been on reserve at an airline, but if every line pilot had to sit reserve as a percentage of minimum annual flying, the yes.

Every MDS is different, but my platform had more ground events than sim events, and more sim events than flying events. So to be CMR, flying had the least amount of required events.

In fact, if creative enough, you could fly just to meet your currency and exceed your minimum flying events for RAP.

Back