Well this can't be good for this GA airport

Rayden

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rayden
According to the article it's 5th accident in the last 30 years. I don't know if that is good or bad statistics. Aft first I saw the V shape tail and thought it might be a Bo, but the article said it an experimental plane. Hope my wife wasn't watching this channel for news tonight :no:

Sorry ... here's the link to article I forgot originally.

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/184723711.html

Last edited:
Link broke, no airplane, just about deporting someone named Morgan.

5 in 30? That's nothing, we had 3 in one year.

Sorry guys for the boo boo ... here's the correct link. I guess it is really not that bad given the traffic. Just hope the surrounding neighborhoods think the same.

Just 5 crashes in 30 years and the neighborhoods have something to complain about? The neighborhoods probably have 5 crashes every couple hours...but airplanes are dangerous? Total crockup.

I don't think it was a V-tail until after impact

It looks like a Swift.

Twin Oaks is 100% land-locked by residential neighborhoods, right up to the approach ends of the runway. Look at it in Google Earth and you'll be surprised by the residential congestion surrounding it.

Twin Oaks airport's "days have been numbered" for decades now, but it still remains in operation year after year after year....

Re: I don't think it was a V-tail until after impact

It looks like a Swift.

The article said it was experimental. :dunno:

Looks like an RV canopy, but it is a mess for sure. That is not gonna buff out. :no:

Last edited:
Oh, Twin Oaks. Tough little airport - it's short, obstructed, and in the inner ring of the SAT Class C.

I never did in the Commander, either.

I was talking to Greg Simmons, one of the anchors for the KSAT news (who used to own an M20J) and he said he flew it into Twin Oaks once. When he left he thought he was gonna clip the top of the trees in the houses backyard at the end of the runway. He said he didn't fly in there anymore. (And he has about 700 hours of Mooney time, a lot more than my paltry 35 hours)

Given the purported lack of rudder use in the air by a lot of pilots, why would loss of rudder control cause him to crash? Also even if he failed to do a free and clear as part of his preflight, would not he have noticed loss of rudder control while taxiing? Am I missing something?

If the country can't handle an occasional plane in a house GA is doomed.

If the country can't handle an occasional plane in a house GA is doomed.

Considering the house that got hit was at the end of the runway almost directly on centerline that was built to spite people that flew out of the airport, he had it coming. I don't think it's the original owner anymore, but still.

Haven't you heard about zero tolerance? :dunno:

Of course. Makes me laugh. I bet most pilots are ok with banning jetskis. Same thing, everyone wants their one thing exempted and everything else banned. Doesnt work that way, it is a free country or it isnt, no amount of schlepping puppies aroumd is going to change that.

Back