Well, the plans are in...time to start planning a build

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
For an ultralight that is. I figure if I'm ever gonna build my own airplane, I need to learn with something much easier, like an ultralight.

I ordered and received the plans for an A-Plane (the joke plane we all made fun of a while back, technically called the Affordaplane). This looks like its gonna be fun.

Oh, and I will be modifying it to hold a parachute....just in case.

Attachments

• Dsc00215.jpg
    Dsc00215.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I don't care what it is...If it has wings and can lift me off ground for a hour or so at a time..I'm happy.

Has wings and hauls you up into the sky. Good by me.

One suggestion: Put something besides the donuts in that picture on the axles. If you're going to build a toy, you might as well be able to land somewhere besides paved parking lots or carefully groomed fields.

P.S. I've always wanted to fly one of those at least once to see what they're like.

got a buddy who's building one...I'm anxious to see it fly.

Fly safe!

David

I'd just be careful. My girlfriend's uncle took off and was climbing when the engine just died. Fell like a rock. He injured his spine and is paralyzed from the waist down... Still working on getting movement back in his legs, and the docs still hold hope he can get 90% of function back, just gonna take a lot of time and therapy.

Don't want to scare anyone away from flying, I just personally wouldn't fly an ultralight...

Parachute is a good idea, but how high do you have to be to deploy?

The problem with a lot of them is they are REALLY draggy, especially the (somehow) popular T-Bird line. An engine failure requires immediate stick all the way forward to keep it flying, especially during takeoff. I think this one of nicks has a windshield and not too big of a frontal area, so it shouldnt be as bad.

tonycondon said:
The problem with a lot of them is they are REALLY draggy, especially the (somehow) popular T-Bird line. An engine failure requires immediate stick all the way forward to keep it flying, especially during takeoff. I think this one of nicks has a windshield and not too big of a frontal area, so it shouldnt be as bad.

They're really draggy because generally they have such high lift airfoils with low stall speeds. Flown within their aerodynamic limits by competent pilots they're not excessively dangerous.

If you want to see an easy plane to build that is also an efficient machine (but very ugly) check out a BD-4. its mostly right angles but with a 160hp engine will fly relativly fast (160mph or so) and carry a fair load (~900lb)

Back