Well, the move is official

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Ok folks, after several weeks of running on the new service, we've made the migration final. We've advance paid for a year of service and terminated our old virtual server account.

All told this migration will end up saving us $400 a year in hosting costs.

Email will continue to work as before. We may move to the new host for that in the future, but right now it would be too much disruption, IMO.

No - this server is what is called a Grid Host. It's a hosted solution, which means we share the server with who knows how many other sites, but the server itself is in a "grid" (think cluster) configuration which load balances requests across multiple machines behind the scenes.

The result being, a heavily loaded website can get shunted to 1 or 2 servers doing the processing and the rest of the traffic can get shunted elsewhere.

Or thats how I understand it to be.

If we experience problems with the database taking up too much time, we can even go to a dedicated database server behind the scenes while still using the cluster. Bit more expensive but still an overall savings.

I was hesitant at first, but I've been very happy with the results thus far, and the savings means instead of having 6 months worth of funding in the bank, now we have almost 2 years worth before we really need to do more fundraising.

I was hesitant at first, but I've been very happy with the results thus far, and the savings means instead of having 6 months worth of funding in the bank, now we have almost 2 years worth before we really need to do more fundraising.

That's great! Thanks for all your hard work Chuck!

wonderful, i thought that this new thingymabob was going to be more expensive, but you cant argue with cheaper and better!

That's great! Thanks for all your hard work Chuck!
Actually, Mike A deserves the credit because he found the provider. I just handled the move.

And of course Chip gets the credit because everything is his idea.

Chuck, seriously, POA is going to suck until you run it on one of these:
indextopimage_20060807.jpg

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

We'll be happy to accept your donation of an Apple xserve. ;)

Back