Well, Math is done for the semester

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Today sucked. For final exams, they have us on a weird schedule where some Monday/Wednesday finals are on Wednesday, and some Monday/Wednesday finals are on Wednesday, but if the final is not today, then there's no class (since the periods overlap).

I thought for sure today was my English final, so I studied for it last night. I didn't even touch the Math stuff, because I was planning on meeting with a tutor tomorrow and cramming tomorrow night.

Well...I was wrong. I walked into a blind final with no studying in math. Completely bombed it, I'm sure. Worst part is that while I was pulling about a 80% in the class overall, if I fail the final, I fail the class, and I fear that I might have failed the final today. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks. :(

Now I have to study for Microeconomics and English, which are Wednesday. French is on Thursday (this I'm positive of, I called after the surprise math final and got the official final schedule. You'd think they'd hand them out to students).

:vomit:

wow thats like the ultimate college horror story. Last year my roomate missed a final. Thought it was scheduled at a different time. eek! Luckily for him, professor let him take it with a different section.

Is this UNM? When I was going there for a few classes they pulled stuff like that too.

BTW I am sure you did well and it is not as bad as you think it is. Keep a positive atitude!!!

smigaldi said:
Is this UNM? When I was going there for a few classes they pulled stuff like that too.

BTW I am sure you did well and it is not as bad as you think it is. Keep a positive atitude!!!

Its TVI (soon to be CNM College), but they operate exactly like UNM, so it doesn't surprise me that this happens there too.

tonycondon said:
wow thats like the ultimate college horror story. Last year my roomate missed a final. Thought it was scheduled at a different time. eek! Luckily for him, professor let him take it with a different section.
I almost missed this one. I sat in my English class for a while until I noticed that none of the students were in my class. So I ran to my math class to find my whole class there.

RotaryWingBob said:
That DOES suck, Nick. I can't believe they didn't tell you what was scheduled when...
The final schedules used to always be on the syllabi in previous years, so I never even bothered to look until this morning. No final schedule on any of the syllabi. Nothing I can do now :(

Last edited:
Good Luck Nick. I am sure you did fine. My math final is next week along with the history final. Im sure I will pass the math class, but I don't think so about the history final. Hhhmmm don't know don't care. Looks like I will be retaking history again. I can tell you one thing though, it won't be with the teacher I have now. Guy is the MOST annoying person I have ever known in my entire life. Cant teach worth a flip. He is too worried about how is students are so immature in his day classes that he can't teach his night classes.

My worst final was last semester senior year and the professor walked in with the classic "good news" - "bad news" story.

The bad news was Machine Design and Vibrations finals were scheduled on the same day.

The good news was that instead of two three hour finals he would combine them to one eight hour final. Please don't bring lunch as he wasn't cleaning up any vomit.

I had to pass both to graduate. I did, but it was not one of the best days of my life.

I guess college isn't any easier now, huh?

NC Pilot said:
My worst final was last semester senior year and the professor walked in with the classic "good news" - "bad news" story.

The bad news was Machine Design and Vibrations finals were scheduled on the same day.

The good news was that instead of two three hour finals he would combine them to one eight hour final. Please don't bring lunch as he wasn't cleaning up any vomit.

I had to pass both to graduate. I did, but it was not one of the best days of my life.

I guess college isn't any easier now, huh?

Ahh memories!! That type of stuff happened when I was an undergrad in engineering all the time. But hey, we didn't have lives anyways.

I got one pass on a final my entire college career and it was one I did not want. My humanities final was on a Wednesday. I really liked the class and the instructor and I showed up with every intent to take my final. But my girlfriend who was in the same class told him that my dad had died the day before. I didn't want a pass and I was prepared to take the test but he told me that it did not matter what grade I got the final anyways I was assured an A for all the work I had done so why not just go home.

SkyHog said:
I walked into a blind final with no studying in math. Completely bombed it, I'm sure.
Nick, it is time to suck up to the professor. Call him, tell him the problem, etc. It may get you nowhere but it may get you a re-test. Give it a go!

Think of it as the academic equivalent of filing an ASRS.

-Skip

I had the same thing happened to me once.

It was like a recurring nightmare in college except I did remember to wear pants in real life.

Joe

Skip Miller said:
Nick, it is time to suck up to the professor. Call him, tell him the problem, etc. It may get you nowhere but it may get you a re-test. Give it a go!

Think of it as the academic equivalent of filing an ASRS.

-Skip

I don't know Skip. My belief has been all along in college that "I'm not here to learn, I'm here to get a degree." But math is an exception. If I fail, the good thing is that since I didn't understand a lot of this class, retaking it may just cement it in my brain enough to actually understand it a little better.

I've said it all semester, but now I gotta say it again. I hate math.

SkyHog said:
Today sucked. For final exams, they have us on a weird schedule where some Monday/Wednesday finals are on Wednesday, and some Monday/Wednesday finals are on Wednesday, but if the final is not today, then there's no class (since the periods overlap).

I thought for sure today was my English final, so I studied for it last night. I didn't even touch the Math stuff, because I was planning on meeting with a tutor tomorrow and cramming tomorrow night.

Well...I was wrong. I walked into a blind final with no studying in math. Completely bombed it, I'm sure. Worst part is that while I was pulling about a 80% in the class overall, if I fail the final, I fail the class, and I fear that I might have failed the final today. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks. :(

:vomit:

I'd meet with the instructor and explain your problem. I think the chances are pretty good that a re-test would be allowed if he has an alternate exam.

Man I do NOT miss college!

tdager said:
Man I do NOT miss college!
Everybody told me that college would be the best years of my life. About Junior year I was thinking if this was the best, I was sure going to hate the next 60 or so. Fortunately, was not the case and really having a great time out in the real world.

Stick with it. After you get out it will all be worth it.

SkyHog said:
Well...I was wrong. I walked into a blind final with no studying in math.

Nick,

As others have said, talk to the instructor. Once, my best friend was hit by a drunk driver the night before I had a Dynamics exam. I was up all night, and the exam completely slipped my mind. I finally fell asleep after the sun came up, and ended up sleeping through the exam, not realizing until later in the day when one of my fraternity brothers who was in the class asked where I'd been. The professor let me take the exam in his office a week later. Turned a sure F into a B.

Nick, if what you say is true and I were your instructor, I would arrange a re-test. Other faculty might not, though.

crap! maybe you did better than you thought you did.

I bet you felt blind panic sitting down. ugh!

NC Pilot said:
Everybody told me that college would be the best years of my life. About Junior year I was thinking if this was the best, I was sure going to hate the next 60 or so. Fortunately, was not the case and really having a great time out in the real world.

Stick with it. After you get out it will all be worth it.

hahahahah! good point.

I wonder how much of it comes from being better able to handle stress and adversity as we get older. not that you could not PAY me any amt of money to re-do my 20s.

smigaldi said:
Ahh memories!! That type of stuff happened when I was an undergrad in engineering all the time. But hey, we didn't have lives anyways.

I got one pass on a final my entire college career and it was one I did not want. My humanities final was on a Wednesday. I really liked the class and the instructor and I showed up with every intent to take my final. But my girlfriend who was in the same class told him that my dad had died the day before. I didn't want a pass and I was prepared to take the test but he told me that it did not matter what grade I got the final anyways I was assured an A for all the work I had done so why not just go home.

sorry. :(

Woohoo! I passed. Its not pretty. I got a C, but its enough to keep me on track to go to UNM next semester. Boy I lucked out.

But....there's a tradeoff.

French, which should have been a guaranteed A, was also a C. I don't know how that happened. Ugh.

Also got a B in Microeconomics and a B in English 101. This is, after 4 semesters back, the worst year as far as grades go. But its ok....as long as I let this be my worst for the remainder, I'll be ok. I'm holding a 3.1 GPA right now.

smigaldi said:
Good for you Nick!! Keep trucking adn now off to UNM, what is your major going to be?

I'm majoring in computer science. So I have a bunch more math to come, including Pre Calc and Trig during the summer, and Calc 1, Calc 2 and a bunch of other math also :-/

Back