Welcome Matt!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Folks, let me introduce one of my best friends, Matt Michael, or wby0nder as he sometimes goes by. Matt introduced me to gliding by having me help retrieve a schweizer 1-34 from a pasture, a year later i was a commercial glider and CFIG. You know the rest of the story, now I prefer farmers fields to airports.

Matt has recently decided to convert to the dark side (powered flying) and bought a beautiful Bowers Flybaby and is working with me on his Private Pilot license. Wants to become one of those hotshot cropdusters or firefighters. Henning should be able to help you out with advice, matt.

tonycondon said:
Matt has recently decided to convert to the dark side (powered flying) and bought a beautiful Bowers Flybaby

What the heck is that? :dunno:

Welcome to POA Matt.

I met you at OSH. I'm also the guy that departed in front of you in the 172 at Faribult a few weekends ago.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/

a2a.jpg

Pete Bowers authored several books and articles on aviation history, too.

flyingcheesehead said:
What the heck is that? :dunno:

Welcome Matt! POA folks have some great advice, Well most of us do anyway. Even Tony:rolleyes:

ha, it really is quite a cute airplane. his has an enclosed cowl but pretty much looks like the one pictured. is cub yellow with black striping.

And thanks for the wonderful praises Adam, I think.

Welcome to Pilot of 'Merica Matt!!

If you're a friend of Tony, you're welcome to visit Dallas, Tejas sometime ;-)

Best,

Dave

Wow, thanks for the welcome folks! I appreciate the intro Tony. I looked up your profile and it says you have over a thousand posts! What is wrong with you dude! You need to get a life!

This seems a much friendlier forum then rec.aviation.soaring where I've lurked for years. Lots of great info there but man you have to be careful or they will decend upon you like a hoard of locusts.

The Fly Baby is a cute little machine but I have it on the authority of several aviation vets (who've forgotten more than I'll ever know) that it's a solid design and tons of fun to fly. Cheapest tailwheel time available it seems. Outfitting it now for long XC flights which I hope will be much easier WITH an engine. I'm slowly getting used to the noise.

I was just telling our pal Dr Mike today how engine-out sims don't really generate the rapid emergency response that it probably should. When the instructor (or soon examiner) pulls the power I can finally think with all that wracket gone and suddenly the dang aircraft starts behaving properly. I'm thinking of having Tony carry a cattle prod to jolt me to action when the RPM's drop off during training so I don't simply land the plane in the nearest pasture during my checkride.

Welcome Matt, welcome mat... Very funny Tony. Shouldn't you be studying?

MM

wby0nder said:
Wow, thanks for the welcome folks! I appreciate the intro Tony. I looked up your profile and it says you have over a thousand posts! What is wrong with you dude! You need to get a life!

yes, it is true

This seems a much friendlier forum then rec.aviation.soaring where I've lurked for years. Lots of great info there but man you have to be careful or they will decend upon you like a hoard of locusts.

The Fly Baby is a cute little machine but I have it on the authority of several aviation vets (who've forgotten more than I'll ever know) that it's a solid design and tons of fun to fly. Cheapest tailwheel time available it seems. Outfitting it now for long XC flights which I hope will be much easier WITH an engine. I'm slowly getting used to the noise.

I was just telling our pal Dr Mike today how engine-out sims don't really generate the rapid emergency response that it probably should. When the instructor (or soon examiner) pulls the power I can finally think with all that wracket gone and suddenly the dang aircraft starts behaving properly. I'm thinking of having Tony carry a cattle prod to jolt me to action when the RPM's drop off during training so I don't simply land the plane in the nearest pasture during my checkride.

i enjoy landing in pastures, unless you land in a pasture when the engine died right over the airport.

Welcome Matt, welcome mat... Very funny Tony. Shouldn't you be studying?

MM

ah crap, thanks for reminding me.

wby0nder said:

MM

LOL Matt just give it a chance it will happen and if it dosent happen fast enough for ya just visit Spin Zone.

wby0nder said:
Cheapest tailwheel time available it seems. Outfitting it now for long XC flights which I hope will be much easier WITH an engine.

Hmmmmm... REALLY!? Well.. Maybe we can work something out, then... I need to get some tailwheel time so I can get in on that glider towing gig ya'll have going on over at Ames and you have a tailwheel plane.. You want to know about cropdusters, and I've worked with cropdusters for 3+ years... Yeah.. Maybe we can reach an 'agreement'.. ;-)

Welcome a-board!! (Get it... 'board'.. message 'board'... Hey it's late.. Gimme a break!)

-Chris

tonycondon said:
Wants to become one of those hotshot cropdusters or firefighters. Henning should be able to help you out with advice, matt.

Hi Matt, eesh ag and attack work huh? It's a tough life, and not one for hotshots. Hotshots die quickly. If I can get you to remember one thing though; There are people out there that will try to get you to do things and to fly planes that you don't want to do. Walk away from them. Nothing from these people is worthwhile, not the training, not the money, not the time, because in these industries, you won't survive to collect. Another quicky, don't accept a seat in an A,B, or C model Pawnee if they haven't been converted to the wing tanks and eliminated the fuse tank above the battery. Ag planes crash, period. I had a buddy who bit it in a B model who burned to death getting out, and another with scars over much of his body. It's a bad design that burned and killed many pilots who would have survived with minimal to no injury otherwise.

I don't know what your age is (Tony's soooo old, him calling you boy wonder might mean you're 45:D ) or what state you are in, but as soon as you can, get your pesticide applicators license, you'll need it, and if you have it before you go to the operators, it'll be a plus.

Next you need to find an operator who will train you. Typically they want you to work as a loader for a bit, and that's fair enough, it's stuff you'll need to know, because when you're PIC operating remotely you'll be the one overseeing and checking the mixing and loading. DO NOT become complacent about your chemical handling safety gear. Last thing you need is to have a seizure while flying. Most of this stuff is pretty toxic (thank the Lord for genetic engineering, it's really helped cut down the toxicity of the chemicals and allows for more targeted chemicals). Find (if you can) an operator who has several piston planes as well as a turbine or two. Look for the guys who do Boll Weevil eradication, they pretty much all will use Ag Huskies and Dromadiers due to the way the bidding system works. Pretty much, these are the two planes you can make money with on government cotton projects. I would have sent you to Harold Miller for training but he got killed a couple of years back hitting an antenna flying mosquito abatement. If you show up in your fly baby with your applicators license and around 1000hrs PIC (most insurance minimums), some operator is bound to give you a go.

Attackwork is further down the road, and if you are serious about pursueing it, my best advice is to go in the military and train in helos. Seriously, anymore it's a tough business to get into. When I started, we used old recip WWII & Korea vintage attack, transport and torpedo planes. You needed a multi, an instrument rating and 500hrs to get in the right seat of a Boxcar and 1200 to get into an Avenger. After awhile you might get an A-26. It's changed a lot over the last few years. Most of the fixed wing stuff is being done with C-130s, P-3s and even a 747 with ex military pilots filling the seats. Another prefered plane for the job is the AT-802AF Air Tractor, the biggest single there is and they are around $1.5 mil. Pretty much anymore, you have to have 2500hrs with 1000 Ag, or have come out of the military before you will actually get a job.

Another thing to look at is the growing rotorwing segment in both these markets. If you are young, the military might be your best option.

Before you do any of this though, I urge you to do an honest self assessment, no BS or Blustering Bravado. You need to understand your brains default reaction to immediate crisis. When faced with an accident, have you ever just locked in and and prepared for impact? Do you go that extra yard giving of yourself to please others when you really would rather not? Are you intimidated by authority or bullies? If you answer yes to any, I urge you not to pursue this line of work. Really, it's just a job and a pretty freakin boring one at that, it's not worth dying for. You can't be wired for panic or indecission, nor can you allow others to cajole or bluster you into doing something you think you shouldn't. It's your butt and your butt alone up in that plane, you are heavy and 5' off the deck. When things go wrong, they go wrong fast and you just have to do what you need to do. Heck, you may do everything right and still die. Never try to save an airplane, command the airplane to save you. Just keep flying her till she can't respond anymore then ask her to protect you (please baby please...). I'm 3 times in, and three times walked away without a scratch. The thing that really surprized me the first time is that it seemed that about 15 seconds of cognative thought which only dealt with the tasks at hand (flying) went through my head in what I calculated by my gear marks in the crop to be 1.3 seconds. Heck, when she finally gave up elevator authority and let the tail come up and over, that seemed like 4 seconds right there.

Be sure you are wired that way though, not everyone is. A bad assessment can cost the world your grace prematurely. A good buddy I worked a bug run and shared hotel rooms with got himself killed. Shame was he was an awesome guitar player, but he had no technical focus.

kath said:
Does the pilot of that biplane realize that the entire upper wing is missing? Someone should tell him maybe... :) :)

--Kath

Funny you should say that as you can apparently put an upper wing on the Fly Baby with almost no modifications. It was an addition to the original design. Might look cool but it makes the plane slower.

MM

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice! Most of your suggested requirements fit my way of thinking and functioning. I've risked my life for a living the past 17 years climbing trees and have realized the importance of discipline and techincal focus. Flying gliders for 20 years and instructing 10 has helped too. I don't see cropdusting as some glorious calling. It looks like an interesting challenge for making a living and I enjoy flying quite a lot. I'm not too thrilled with the chemicals though and I assure you I will be insanely disciplined about their handling. I appreciate my good health and fitness and no amount of money will erode my commitment to that! I'm no longer a youngster (Tony is THE Boy Wonder by the way) and have the ability to walk away from any operation that isn't up to standards. I'm starting to look at ag training options now and hope to be able to hook into some quality operators who don't cut corners. Being an outsider right now makes knowing what's what a little tough. I have probably a year before I'm ready anyway so there is time to gather info. Your post has been supremely helful. Thanks.

MM

tonycondon said:
the flybaby can go slower!?

I'm looking forward to my first backward cross-country. Just need a little wind...

wby0nder said:
(Tony is THE Boy Wonder by the way)

blah, whateva. Kids like Jason Herman, who's favorite book is the ATC manual, is going to solo on his 16th bday, license with umpteen bagillion hours on his 17th, and will probably be in a jet by 20 or so, now he is a boy wonder. I just teach n00bs how to fly and occasionally crash my glider into a field somewhere.

But it sure is fun!

tonycondon said:
blah, whateva. Kids like Jason Herman, who's favorite book is the ATC manual, is going to solo on his 16th bday, license with umpteen bagillion hours on his 17th, and will probably be in a jet by 20 or so, now he is a boy wonder. I just teach n00bs how to fly and occasionally crash my glider into a field somewhere.

But it sure is fun!

Now I know what a bajillion is but not too sure what a BAG-illion is exactly. Not sure what a n00bs is either but I spose I am one since you been teaching me to fly with a motor.

Getting late I guess I'll go streach out in front of the door.

MM

Welcome to POA Matt!
As some have already said there are some great people here that know a lot.

From what I have read it looks like you are going to be another great mind here.

Good to have you!

Best,

wby0nder said:
I don't see cropdusting as some glorious calling. It looks like an interesting challenge for making a living and I enjoy flying quite a lot.

Thanks.

MM

Ahhh, this brings us to another point, what is the challenge? It certainly isn't the flying, that ceases to be challenging after about 2 hours. You'll quickly find that the plane flies in the same steady state at 5' as it does at 5000'. The real challenge is delivering the chemical onto the target with no adverse drift and assuring full and proper rate coverage. Remember, you aren't being paid to fly, you are being paid to protect a crop. If you really want to make a good living at it, while you're building 1000 hrs of tailwheel in the Fly Baby, study agronomy. The truth is, it's hard to make a living as The Pilot. The pay is good, but sporadic unless you are in the California Valley or Down South in TX. Learn the bugs and diseases and the nutritional requirements of the crops and open a one stop field care service, or go to work for one of the Ag companies, where you advise & sell as well as fly. Those kind of positions will put you on a salary that runs $100k + commission (which can easily exceed salary) and I know guys with their own shop & planes netting annual average over a quarter of a mil. You will have to work for an operator for a bit no matter what. Thing is in order to make a living flying in other peoples planes, you have to travel a bunch unless you live in one of the affore mentioned areas. One of the best ways to bring up your safety and possibly earnings is to own your own plane and lease yourself out as a package. At least you'll know the condition and maint of the plane you are flying. If you run the operation right, you'll make pretty good money. I had an Ag Cat, and they are decent enough airplanes, but anymore, you have to be able to do 120 acre pivots, and for most chemicals, thats 2 trips in an Ag Cat. I'd be looking at a Bull Thrush which is a modified S-2R Trush (who's design was the origional Snow which Leland Snow sold to I believe Rockwell where it became the Thrush. Leland Snow then Started Air Tractor, more fine designs. The guy builds a plane to maximize pilot survival) which swings the prop with a Wright 1820 and is modified with a larger hopper. My next choice would be a M-18-B Dromadier. It's a Polish plane and the engine is again the Wright 1820 Cyclone design, only built under license in Poland. Both these planes will cover a pivot on a load without having to go turbine. I'd probably go ahead and buy the Dromadier because of parts cost issues. You can usually get a good one with a Satloc (you want the flow controller as well) and some spares for less than $100k with spares, often a spare engine. I have heard tales of 602 and 802 Air Tractors being fitted with recips, but have seen no evidence of it. Problem with turbines is the costs. My buddy I did some flying for in his AT502 had to have contract on 100,000 acres a year just to break even. A large chunk of that is hull & engine insurance on a $750,000+ aircraft where every event to the drive line will cost a minimum of $125,000. No worries for him, he has over 250,000 acres on contract... unless it's a bad year and he never gets called. No one is gonna call him to water the crop in a drought and he has to go travelling. Most years he gets by. His family has a nice house on some land, and he has a nice clean comfortable facility at the airfield. Like you said, you have a lot to go over. You may want to contact or even stop in at Mid Continent in Hayti MO (IIRC 800 325-0885). They know lots of people in the business and know who may be looking. They also sell and service Ag planes and their gear.

If you like it, go for it. Beats the airlines. Top scale pilots at either make about the same, but bottom scale ag pays three times bottom scale airline. The advantage with Ag is, you can raise the stakes from pilot and own your own service. You probably can't be an airline pilot and start your own airline. No matter what, it takes skill, dedication and hard, hot dirty work... and a bit or luck, to succeede.

Based on what I'm observed. You are spot on Henning.

It's not something you just go sign up for. It takes some drive to do it. The main thing that prevented me was I had no way to build the time required in a reasonable amount of time.

jangell said:
Based on what I'm observed. You are spot on Henning.

It's not something you just go sign up for. It takes some drive to do it. The main thing that prevented me was I had no way to build the time required in a reasonable amount of time.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

"Top scale pilots at either make about the same, but bottom scale ag pays three times bottom scale airline."

This statement pretty much sums up the bottom line for me. Thanks for all the great perspective!

MM

Welcome, Matt. Another Iowan, eh? I'm married to an Iowan - she claims California as her place of birth, but spent her formative years running around Polk City and Ankeny and Camp Dodge and summers on Saylorville Res.

gkainz said:
Welcome, Matt. Another Iowan, eh? I'm married to an Iowan - she claims California as her place of birth, but spent her formative years running around Polk City and Ankeny and Camp Dodge and summers on Saylorville Res.

Ah yes, the giant Camp Dodge swimming pool... Spent hours there out of sight of land doing my best Lloyd Bridges. I think that big pool is gone now. Did a lot of sailing on Big Creek and Saylorville. You should have seen Saylorville during the great floods of 93. The water was just a few feet (looked like inches) from the top. Everyone thought downtown Des Moines was doomed. If your wife hasn't been back here in a while she'll be amazed. A few more years and it will be one continious development from Indianola north to Ames. One of my favorite private strips just closed due to Ankeny's growth.

Thanks for the welcome.

MM

wby0nder said:
Ah yes, the giant Camp Dodge swimming pool... Spent hours there out of sight of land doing my best Lloyd Bridges. I think that big pool is gone now.
Her dad painted that pool ... says they used to drive a duece 'n a half right down into it for maintenance (after draining, I'm sure!)

Back