Weird paranoia about wing spars

So, cross-grain bending (aka bending along the long axis of the plane) is not possible; strength for 10-minute loads (wind loads, short-term maneuvering, etc...) is 60% higher than design values for durability; and we haven't even gone into the fracture mechanics yet.:mad2:

Your point was???

I said what my point was and you cut it out of the quote. I mentioned cross-grain bending to put emphasis on the fact that one can't make a blanket statement that wood has a higher strength to weight ratio.

And, yes, wood is stronger THAN WOOD for short duration loads by 60% (or 100% more for really short duration impact loads). However, as I pointed out in my original long-winded post, woods DESIGN values are VERY low compared to aircraft aluminum so a 60% increase isn't going to bring it's design strengths up enough to even be close to aluminum's design strengths.

Last edited:
And there will be a 1.5 safety margin above that,

So as long as you don't weigh 150% over the average person, you should be good to go. (That's the real reason why the sleep apnea rules were being implemented.)

So as long as you don't weigh 150% over the average person, you should be good to go. (That's the real reason why the sleep apnea rules were being implemented.)

I hope you're being facetious -- you forgot the smilies -- but that's wrong on several different levels.

First is that aircraft weight isn't dominated by occupants for anything larger than an ultralight. For spam cans, the airframe weight dominates. For large airliners, it can be the fuel.

So 3/4 through my training we got a plane and with it a hundred pounds of manuals detailing the parts of the plane, etc

Then I got to the page where I exclaimed "Wait, you mean to tell me the wings just bolt on. There is not an I Beam running straight from one wingtip to the other???

This is when I started to dislike Steep turns or any positive G maneuvering for that matter.

Also I recently learned my buddy's aerobatic plane has a wood wing spar.
"Holy crap! Really??" was my response to learning this.

So
1. This is probably the most critical part of the plane right?
2. How do they fail? (snap and plunge or "hey that one wing looks strange" and land)
3. Our annual is next month. Do they go in there with a camera ans inspect that spar?

So I am curious about wing spars, failure rate, how they are engineered, how lift is distributed along the length of the wing, How strong the connection between wing and plane is, etc

Examination of SixPapaCharlie's wing connections:

This is VERY long, you were warned.

Also, I have not run any calculations so I'm operating on the assumption that these connections were designed properly. Obviously any structure can be improperly designed. I'm only going to touch on the merits of bolted vs. welded or solid wing spars.

Let's start with the wing spars running from one wing to another:

Your wing spars are connected together by what's called a bolted moment splice. It's a very standard method of connecting two shorter beams into a longer beam. It's used extensively in bridge girders (see below), buildings, aircraft, and elsewhere.

02_tighten_bolts_at_splice_plate.jpg

Properly sized a bolted splice can be just as strong than the actual structural member. This type of connection has a number of advantages in an aircraft:

• Bolts are removable thus allowing dis-assembly and replacement.
  • Bolts allow for sections to be fabricated in smaller pieces, reducing costs.
  • Bolted splices may provide further ductility in a structure than just a straight beam. (Ductility is effectively the amount of "distress" a structural member shows before failure. Metal bends significantly before fracture so it's considered a "ductile" material. Glass does not bend significantly before failure and thus is considered "non-ductile".)
We'll see below that bolted connections are highly ductile. Also, here's a great (AND REALLY COOL) example of a non-ductile compressive failure of high-strength concrete:

• A welded connection in aluminum alloy will lower the strength gained by tempering in the alloy. Thus bolts (and rivets) offer a connection method that does not lower the strength of the structural member. This is different than most steel members which typically do not lose strength from welding.
  • This connection allows the wing spars to be straight but still allow the wings to have a dihedral shape (the "v" shape of the wings).
A few disadvantages to not having a solid spar between wings:

• Any connection (either welded or bolted) will cause a fatigue point (see below).
  • A solid or welded connection will be lighter and take up less space.
  • A solid or welded connection are generally easier to design and a solid spar may be cheaper to build.
  • A solid connection may be stronger than bolted connections.
  • Lower maintenance and somewhat easier inspection.
Overall the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Failure modes in splices vary but most common is an overload of the splice will cause buckling in the top splice plate first and a fracture of the bottom splice plate or beam in a crack that runs through the bolt holes. Shearing of the bolts will occur as well but overall the bolt holes should deform prior to bolt shear.

Here's two good videos showing you how bolted connections (such as in a splice) will fail. The first one shows failure of the bolted plate at the bolt hole, this is called shear yielding of the bolted connection:

This next video shows the plate itself failing at it's weakest point (at the bolt hole). Note how this failure is gradual, the plate deforms greatly. This is called a tensile yielding failure:

There's another common failure mode and that's tensile fracture which is a sudden break of the material and a sharply defined crack. This is probably more common with aircraft aluminum.

So, to answer your first question: "This is probably the most critical part of the plane right?". You would be correct, at least from a structural standpoint. However, the design of the splice and other connections will reflect their importance.

For your second question: "How do they fail? (snap and plunge or "hey that one wing looks strange" and land)" That's really something that could go both ways.

I'd GUESS that snap and plunge is more common, however this ignores the likely many that were avoided due to timely inspections. Cracking in the attachment points would likely be caught hopefully before failure. Most failures of this type are likely due to fatigue or light and repeated overload. Thus, a large deformation failure is unlikely.

However, it does happen. There's actually a great AOPA and Air Safety Foundation video recently that discusses an aircraft that experienced extreme aeroelastic flutter.

Here's what aeroelastic flutter looks like:

In the ASF presentation the pilot was able to successfully land the plane. The planes wing was deformed by up to 2 inches. However, the plane's spar was cracked 2/3 of the way through and the planes wing rear attachment point was cracked through. Essentially the plane SHOULD have had the spar snap but he got very lucky.

I've attached some screenshots below of the damage. Click to see the horror.

So, this is something you really aren't likely to see from the outside. More often it will be caught during annuals before it becomes a problem. However, if it doesn't get caught in time it will likely be a snap and crash failure.

At this point I'd like to stress the difference between overload failure and fatigue failure. Materials can be overloaded till they break, however this is accompanied by deformations, cracking, and other "signs" and will often not result in total failure.

However, fatigue occurs when repeated stress cycles open up a crack in the structure. All materials can fatigue but metals are most famous for it. Fatigue occurs because not all parts of the material get stressed evenly. A notch or crack will have MUCH higher stress at the corner of the notch or crack. This will "open up" the crack further or cause an invisible crack to become visible to the naked eye. Over time this crack will propagate through the material until not enough uncracked material remains and a failure occurs.

Skip to 3:43 for the good bits but the whole video is good.

Stress concentrations in connections occur at welds, bolt holes, notches, edges, etc. Fatigue always happens unless you have a VERY low stress (not likely in a wing spar) or your lifetime number of stress cycles are kept below 20,000 (again, not likely as wings bounce around many times each flight). Thus, fatigue will always happen and will always spell the death of any structural part given enough time. That's why airframe time is so important when buying a well used airplane. You might be looking at having to buy entirely new wings if your wing spar has a large fatigue crack.

Now, the most important parts, the four bolts that attach your wings to your aircraft. Note, it really is four bolts and not two bolts per side. The wings are spliced together and will act together on the airframe. So don't think that just one bolt failing will take down the aircraft.

As shown above steel bolt failure is much less likely in aircraft aluminum, the bolts are simply much stronger than the plates. Thus, there isn't much advantage of using more bolts as far as the steel bolts are concerned. However, more bolts will spread the load out more and could reduce fatigue.

In the end though you really only need four bolts. As long as the bolts are properly design there is no reason to add more. Yes it's more redundant but that's not entirely the point of engineering. Engineers design something to be safe but not so safe that you lose performance or efficiency. Thus, if four bolts meets their design criteria then why use more?

Plus, this has some advantages. Maintenance and inspection are easier as there are less things to go wrong. This also makes it easier to remove the wings if needed. Also note that the wings act like a "saddle" for the plane. The wings lift up and the plane pushes down.

Now, it's worth noting here that I'm a building structural engineer. I don't design aircraft. However, I suspect that those bolts are primarily there for twisting, turning, negative loads, centrifugal loads, and so on. The main support of the weight of the aircraft when flying is done in concert with other supports.

For your final question: "Our annual is next month. Do they go in there with a camera ans inspect that spar?"

I do not know.

I assume they do and I know some aircraft have AD's that require regular inspection of a wing spar and attachments. An A&P can obviously answer this one.

Some quick notes on wood: There's nothing wrong with wood. You can make a plane very, very strong out of wood. Connections can be problematic but not impossible. Rot and moisture and such are important for wood but definitely not impossible to deal with.

Essentially the only reason we use mostly metal and not wood is metal is stronger (see previous posts) and results in a more efficient design. Also note that metal is more durable and easier to maintain. It's also easier to design with and mostly easier to manufacture. Note I didn't say it's better, a plane made out of wood can be just as good as one made from metal. In some ways better because if you don't NEED the strength of metal your plane can be lighter. Lighter planes put less load on their structure. Nothing to worry about getting into a wooden aircraft. That's like saying you don't want to drive over that stone arch bridge because it's old and doesn't use modern materials.

Summary:

Your aircraft uses a common connection design that has worked for a VERY long time. It's robust, effective, and offers many advantages such as wing removal. Lowered fatigue resistance is about the only problem but this is a very hard problem to remove regardless of the design. Periodic inspection and avoiding repeated overload of the wings is your only big concern. The design loads that your wings can take are much more than you would have during normal high-G maneuvers. As long as you're not hitting things and diving through thunderstorms you're fine.

Attachments

• Wing1.PNG
    Wing1.PNG
    764.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Wing2.PNG
    Wing2.PNG
    760.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I I mentioned cross-grain bending to put emphasis on the fact that one can't make a blanket statement that wood has a higher strength to weight ratio.

And, yes, wood is stronger THAN WOOD for short duration loads by 60% .

:mad2::mad2: No. Just stop. You are missing the point and your even longer post later is spreading potentially harmful mis-information.:nono:

Please go back to AISC or whatever its equivalent in your industry is, and study proper connection design, fracture mechanics, and probably welding metallurgy.

:mad2::mad2: No. Just stop. You are missing the point and your even longer post later is spreading potentially harmful mis-information.:nono:

Please go back to AISC or whatever its equivalent in your industry is, and study proper connection design, fracture mechanics, and probably welding metallurgy.

Okay, please enlighten me. I'm serious, I just went back and re-read everything and can find nothing wrong with anything I stated. Obviously I'm boiling a lot of structural engineering down to easy to understand concepts so there's a lot I'm leaving out but I fail to see anything amiss with my comments.

I'm not claiming I didn't get anything wrong, I'm just genuinely surprised you feel that way and want to learn. Yes, I do use AISC in much of my design work, as I said I'm a buildings structural engineer.

I also don't see the point you were trying to make since I guess I did miss it. Please explain.

Last edited:
Okay, please enlighten me. I'm serious, I just went back and re-read everything and can find nothing wrong with anything I stated.

Properly sized a bolted splice can be just as strong than the actual structural member.

• Bolted splices may provide further ductility in a structure than just a straight beam. (Ductility is effectively the amount of "distress" a structural member shows before failure. Metal bends significantly before fracture so it's considered a "ductile" material. Glass does not bend significantly before failure and thus is considered "non-ductile".)

Two issues:

1) Saying a connection can "be just as strong" as a main member (if properly designed, it'll be stronger to improve failure characteristics such as ductility and strain hardening).
2) Here you say bolted splices improve ductility

• A welded connection in aluminum alloy will lower the strength gained by tempering in the alloy.
  • Not if you use a weldable alloy and treat or re-treat it afterward. OTOH the ?2024? alloy in one of your earlier posts will not behave well.
Failure modes in splices vary but most common is an overload of the splice will cause buckling in the top splice plate first and a fracture of the bottom splice plate or beam in a crack that runs through the bolt holes.

This isn't a failure of splices- it is flange local buckling caused by high stress at the center of a uniformly loaded beam. It is aggravated by improper specification of a non-compact beam (typically an issue with built-up sections).

There's another common failure mode and that's tensile fracture which is a sudden break of the material and a sharply defined crack. This is probably more common with aircraft aluminum.
And here you are scaring people by saying the material will suddenly break. Please educate the class on how the very obvious signs of fatigue and first cracking in a material without a yield point constitute a "sudden break".

For your second question: "How do they fail? (snap and plunge or "hey that one wing looks strange" and land)" That's really something that could go both ways.

I'd GUESS that snap and plunge is more common ... Cracking in the attachment points would likely be caught hopefully before failure. Most failures of this type are likely due to fatigue or light and repeated overload. Thus, a large deformation failure is unlikely.

Again with "catching signs of cracking" before a "sudden break". Forgetting that cracking will be obvious on a detailed inspection and notch/crack mechanics. A material will crack and break, but will almost never suddenly snap in two due to the stress fields at the edge of the crack. You do understand the phenomena behind coping and stop-drilling, yes?

In the ASF presentation the pilot was able to successfully land the plane. The planes wing was deformed by up to 2 inches. However, the plane's spar was cracked 2/3 of the way through and the planes wing rear attachment point was cracked through. Essentially the plane SHOULD have had the spar snap but he got very lucky.
See above answer. The material worked exactly the way it was supposed to and how the designers planned- broken, obvious tearing failure, but not catastrophic.

However, if it doesn't get caught in time it will likely be a snap and crash failure.

Again, confusing or obscuring the difference between first cracking or material failure and catastrophic failure after noticeable signs of something being wrong- the most obvious sign being the large tearing sound after first cracking.

Also, contradicting yourself by implying that bolted connections are susceptible to brittle cracking; when earlier you said that bolted splices improve ductility. Which is it? Pick one.

Yes it's more redundant but that's not entirely the point of engineering. Engineers design something to be safe but not so safe that you lose performance or efficiency. Thus, if four bolts meets their design criteria then why use more?

I can tell you've never heard of the "Serviceable, Maintainable, Survivable" failure hierarchy. Engineering is basically about 2 things:

• A Demand/Capacity Ratio <1
  • Designing for survivable failures
While Performance and Economy are important points, they come well after meeting the basic strength criteria and failure characteristics.

Now, it's worth noting here that I'm a building structural engineer. I don't design aircraft. However, I suspect that those bolts are primarily there for twisting, turning, negative loads, centrifugal loads, and so on.

Forgotten your fluid mechanics? What are the only 2 functions of a bolt & which one will dominate in a spar connection?

I don't mean to jump on you, but what you've written here is typical of EITs and junior engineers- listing points and phenomena that are technically correct without grasping the whole picture of what is likely/important or being able to explain it to a client without a lot of hand-waving technobabble.
It's one of my personal bugaboos; along with "the computer is not the one with an engineering license"

Last edited:
I'm often amazed by the variety of expertise on pilot forums.

I worry about those things too but they all have a a plan of action.

There can be a plan of action for structural failure too, but without a parachute, it would be in the realm of preventive action. For example:

1. Make sure the aircraft is properly maintained and inspected.

2. Make sure the aircraft is operated within the limitations published in the POH.

Your right to be paranoid. Wings fall off airplanes quite a bit, especially older aircraft like the ones now flying. Wing straps, different bolts, mods, all kinds of things to keep them in the air or respond to an original design screw up. Beech 18' A26, B47 had a lot of problems, tails on B52's fell off in turbulence, on and on. Smaller aircraft are getting really old. Sometimes hard to see spars, etc.

Your right to be paranoid. Wings fall off airplanes quite a bit, especially older aircraft like the ones now flying. Wing straps, different bolts, mods, all kinds of things to keep them in the air or respond to an original design screw up. Beech 18' A26, B47 had a lot of problems, tails on B52's fell off in turbulence, on and on. Smaller aircraft are getting really old. Sometimes hard to see spars, etc.

Hm. The news media aren't full of stories of wings coming off.

Old airplanes like those you mention were severely abused machines. Military stuff gets used hard. Beech 18s were used roughly by bush operators, too.

Light airplanes suffer much less abuse, mostly. There's always the guy that rents a 172 and goes out and loops it, but that's rare. More common are the weak points that show up on inspection, like the 172's forward stabilizer spar that cracks easily when people push down on the tail to raise the nosewheel to turn the airplane around. I once ferried one of those and after we opened it up, we found that spar broken all the way through, with only the skin holding it together. Yet it got me home. Even scarier were the lower strut bolts: no nuts on them, and they were backing out slowly. A really well-maintained piece of junk, that.

Dan

I don't mean to jump on you, but what you've written here is typical of EITs and junior engineers- listing points and phenomena that are technically correct without grasping the whole picture of what is likely/important or being able to explain it to a client without a lot of hand-waving technobabble.
It's one of my personal bugaboos; along with "the computer is not the one with an engineering license"

Let me comment on this first. You're probably entirely right but I wasn't seeking to sell a client on a wing design, I was seeking to educate SixPapaCharlie on the engineering of bolted connections, beams, and such. I could have slimmed that down a lot but SixPapaCharlie seemed like he wanted to learn so I attempted to be as complete as possible. But, regardless, point taken I could have been more concise and presented it better.

I 10,000% agree with you on the computer issues, and I love computers.

Two issues:

1) Saying a connection can "be just as strong" as a main member (if properly designed, it'll be stronger to improve failure characteristics such as ductility and strain hardening).
2) Here you say bolted splices improve ductility

You're correct, for the first I should have stated that connections are designed to a higher safety factor. My point that I poorly made was that connections are not necessarily the weak-point in a structure (but often are).

For the second you'll note I said "may" improve ductility.

• Not if you use a weldable alloy and treat or re-treat it afterward. OTOH the ?2024? alloy in one of your earlier posts will not behave well.
Could they really re-treat something as long as a wing spar if you welded it? Anyway, I know that they can I was simply pointing out that welding aluminum has some downsides over steel and that this isn't commonly known.

I honestly just grabbed 2024 as an example. What part of that material would not behave as well?

This isn't a failure of splices- it is flange local buckling caused by high stress at the center of a uniformly loaded beam. It is aggravated by improper specification of a non-compact beam (typically an issue with built-up sections).

Wait, I'm confused. You're may be right but allow me to explain my reasoning.

First, I was referring to overload only. I should have mentioned that, I was addressing fatigue below that.

Now, properly sized the compression splice bolts and tension splice bolts should not yield, right? We'll assume shear doesn't control. The most common failures that I can see would be the compression splice plate buckling and/or net tensile failure through the bolt holes on the tension flange.

And here you are scaring people by saying the material will suddenly break. Please educate the class on how the very obvious signs of fatigue and first cracking in a material without a yield point constitute a "sudden break".

You're correct, I was misleading here.

Again with "catching signs of cracking" before a "sudden break". Forgetting that cracking will be obvious on a detailed inspection and notch/crack mechanics. A material will crack and break, but will almost never suddenly snap in two due to the stress fields at the edge of the crack. You do understand the phenomena behind coping and stop-drilling, yes?

Wait so I'm forgetting cracking will be obvious when I'm talking about "catching signs of cracking"? Are those not the same things?

Also, it may not be obvious. The recent AOPA sweepstakes plane (IIRC, it might have been another sweepstakes plane like Sporty's) had a cracked rib in the tail cone due to a tail strike and this was never found until the interior was vacuumed clean.

Oh yes, I'm quite familiar with crack mechanics and the video on fatigue I posted below addressed that quite well. I don't believe I ever stated that a fatigue crack would open up instantly. My point was to address 6PC's question about wing spar failure. It seems to be that being able to observe local deformations outside of the aircraft skin would be unlikely and a year is a long time between inspections, assuming they could catch a crack.

Basically my point was that spar failure likely cannot be detected from the outside if due to fatigue.

As for coping and stop drilling, I mentioned notches didn't I? We've used stop drilling on large lime kiln fatigue cracks with great success.

See above answer. The material worked exactly the way it was supposed to and how the designers planned- broken, obvious tearing failure, but not catastrophic.

Right, but this wasn't fatigue, this was extreme overload due to aeroelastic flutter. That's what my point was that he could see deformations on the skin of the aircraft due to the ductility of the spar.

Essentially my point was that overstresses can sometimes be observed without a detailed inspect but other more progressive failures cannot.

Again, confusing or obscuring the difference between first cracking or material failure and catastrophic failure after noticeable signs of something being wrong- the most obvious sign being the large tearing sound after first cracking.

Also, contradicting yourself by implying that bolted connections are susceptible to brittle cracking; when earlier you said that bolted splices improve ductility. Which is it? Pick one.

I challenge anyone to "hear" first cracking while flying an aircraft. That's just silly.

Bolted connections can be susceptible to brittle fracture if they've undergone fatigue. Otherwise why do we check for gross tensile fracture of a bolted splice?

I can tell you've never heard of the "Serviceable, Maintainable, Survivable" failure hierarchy. Engineering is basically about 2 things:

• A Demand/Capacity Ratio <1
  • Designing for survivable failures
While Performance and Economy are important points, they come well after meeting the basic strength criteria and failure characteristics.

Wait, but that's what I said. I stated that "Engineers design something to be safe but not so safe that you lose performance or efficiency. Thus, if four bolts meets their design criteria then why use more?"

So my first point was Demand/Capacity Ratio <1 (safe) and Designing for survivable failures (safe).

My second point was economy of design. Otherwise why wouldn't we use a safety factor of 20 all the time? That meets your failure hierarchy much better doesn't it?

My entire point was having only a few bolts was not a design flaw in and of itself.

Forgotten your fluid mechanics? What are the only 2 functions of a bolt & which one will dominate in a spar connection?

I think I confused you. I wasn't talking about bolt shear and bolt tension, I was talking about "twisting, turning, negative loads, centrifugal loads..." of the wing assembly. These bolts seem located to resist those forces.

I'd rather turn into a spiraling lawn dart than give up flying over wing spar failure!

I'd rather turn into a spiraling lawn dart than give up flying over wing spar failure!

Exactly. The chances of spar failure are far smaller than the chances of something else breaking. There are too many airplanes brought down by carburetor ice, for instance, or water in the fuel. Or no fuel. The stabilizer spar failure I mentioned earlier is as bad as any spar failure, since a failed tail is as lethal as a failed wing. You can't fly without both of them working. There are airplanes flying around that have had serious, unaddressed propstrikes and might have cracked crankshafts. I had such a crank break on me, in flight. In another airplane I used to fly, and later bought, I opened up and found the rear (wood) wing spar cracked from the top down right through the strut attach point, with the crack running about two-thirds of the way through the spar, at an angle. Normal loads kept it closed but any strong pull could have failed it. I flew it over 60 hours like that, and nobody had caught it in the 13 or 14 years since the wind had pushed the airplane over onto its back and done the damage. Airplanes that land upside down on their wingtips will break spars like that.

And yet, some owners will complain about the cost of a good inspection...

Dan

Just stretch a couple of bungee cords between the wing sections as a backup. That will hold them on if anything breaks.

Just stretch a couple of bungee cords between the wing sections as a backup. That will hold them on if anything breaks.
Bungees alone won't work, you'd need to wrap them in duct tape for reinforcement in shear. The frammis modulus of the bungee is insufficient to withstand... oh, forget it.

:)

So I read some of this thread early on and laughed that it was a bit ridiculous. Well, today, I was doing a couple of 0-2.5G maneuvers, and started hearing a hissing sound coming from where the wing attaches to the fuselage. Stopped immediately and started to get worried; upon further inspection, I realized it was the vent coming loose in the 0g push. Was definitely paranoid that the wing was separating though. Thanks for that 6PC.

Ya gotta admit, a video of wings not coming off would be about as interesting as watching paint dry....

but it would be so easy to get tons of footage :wink2:

Mooney's have a single continuous spar. Tested to 9.3G's before static test fixture failed.

asu9ymu8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

More importantly, did you look at my diagrams?
Are my wings coming off?

That's 2 videos of wings coming off in flight. That s 100% of videos uploaded to this thread.

We're all doomed I tell ya.

I think the lesson here is "Don't upload a video of yourself flying to this thread"

So I read some of this thread early on and laughed that it was a bit ridiculous. Well, today, I was doing a couple of 0-2.5G maneuvers, and started hearing a hissing sound coming from where the wing attaches to the fuselage. Stopped immediately and started to get worried; upon further inspection, I realized it was the vent coming loose in the 0g push. Was definitely paranoid that the wing was separating though. Thanks for that 6PC.

HaHa
I bet that was freakin scary!

Those "oh crap" moments in small planes are really heart pounding.

HaHa
I bet that was freakin scary!

Those "oh crap" moments in small planes are really heart pounding.
Many years ago I was in Las Vegas for a convention. While I was there I rented a dilapidated C-177 and took a co-worker for a flight through the Grand Canyon (in those days you could fly below the rim). It was a fairly turbulent day and my pax was pretty much afraid to fly, even in airliners (why he was willing to fly with me I'll never know but we took several trips together). On one of the bigger bumps the airframe and/or passenger door warped enough to let a sizeable jet of air blow into the cabin, directed right at my passenger's face. Even though he was wearing a seat belt (no shoulder harnesses) he pretty much ended up in my lap.

I guess if you think your going to die, grab a buddy

Back