weight loss

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I'm not fat, but I'd like to lose belly fat and tone up. From personal experience, I know that 155 - 160 lbs would be good for me. Three weeks ago, I weighed 185 lbs, and started this approach: 40 minutes of exercise with heart rate at 65%, and 10 - 20 mins of toning weight training. In addition, NO food after 8:00 PM. I also take a daily reading of my weight, at the same time each day. Right now, I am down to 175 lbs. I'd like to ask the docs on the board for their esteemed advice!

Thanks!
Ben

Not a Doc, but have been able to maintain weight and decent physical condition. How old are you? Your age will partially determine the % heart rate should do.

Limit alcohol, and fatty, high carb foods. Limit portions. Maintain an exercise routine daily or at leat four times per week. It's that simple.

I weighed myself this morning at the gym... down to 224. I just lift a lot, hoping that the increase in lean muscle mass will create better metabolism and the lard will just sort of disappear.
I also lift a lot in the hopes that I'll be able to go shirtless this summer without passersby snickering loudly.
Good luck to you! It only works if you keep with it.

Not a Doc, but have been able to maintain weight and decent physical condition. How old are you? Your age will partially determine the % heart rate should do.

Limit alcohol, and fatty, high carb foods. Limit portions. Maintain an exercise routine daily or at leat four times per week. It's that simple.

Thanks!

I'm 42, and I'm exercising 5 times per week now, maintaining 65% heart rate for 40 mins (though it takes about 5 minutes to get it there).

I weighed myself this morning at the gym... down to 224. I just lift a lot, hoping that the increase in lean muscle mass will create better metabolism and the lard will just sort of disappear.
I also lift a lot in the hopes that I'll be able to go shirtless this summer without passersby snickering loudly.
Good luck to you! It only works if you keep with it.

Thanks! I'm an ectomorph, so my best hope is to lose weight first, then tone up, if I can!

Not a doc, but as for the daily weighing I hope you learned not to over react to random fluctuations (up or down). Some days you're full of it and other days you're not. Took me a while to understand the effects of "food in transit" vs actual changes in weight.

I'm still in a long battle to shed a few myself (down 21 lbs, 56 to go). I can't comment on the cardio vs toning stuff as my focus is to reduce mass & volume. From personal experience I'd say be careful if you plan to exceed a 2lb/week loss on an on going basis. There's something magical about exceeding that long term that caused me to become inexplicably sad, angry, sore, hungry, short tempered and generally anti-social all day everyday for 4 months straight. YMMV

Not a doc, but as for the daily weighing I hope you learned not to over react to random fluctuations (up or down). Some days you're full of it and other days you're not. Took me a while to understand the effects of "food in transit" vs actual changes in weight.

I'm still in a long battle to shed a few myself (down 21 lbs, 56 to go). I can't comment on the cardio vs toning stuff as my focus is to reduce mass & volume. From personal experience I'd say be careful if you plan to exceed a 2lb/week loss on an on going basis. There's something magical about exceeding that long term that caused me to become inexplicably sad, angry, sore, hungry, short tempered and generally anti-social all day everyday for 4 months straight. YMMV

I've heard about the 2 lbs a week idea. That's the most I am getting, anyway, haha!

Ferget it! Its all genetic. Besides, studies show gals are hot for fat balding men. That's the direction I am choosing!

My theory is that the epidemic of obesity is primarily the result of the increased intake of refined carbohydrates especially simple sugars. The consumption of sugar has increased significantly since the 1950s. Many of us were raised on high sugar foods and beverages like Kool Aid and Sugar Smacks. This results in an addiction to sugar. Sugar has to be burned immediately or stored in fat so if you are not very active after eating a high sugar meal you will pack on the pounds. I am trying to significantly restrict my intake simple carbs by substituting whole grain for refined grains and limiting intake of anything with sugar. Exercise is helpful but we can easily out eat any calories burned in a typical workout. There is also research that inadequate or excessive sleep is associated with being overweight. Unfortunately as we hit middle age our metabolism starts to decrease but our appetite continues unabated.

My theory is that the epidemic of obesity is primarily the result of the increased intake of refined carbohydrates especially simple sugars.
Roger that. I think our own government tells us we should be eating all of this bread and starch daily , which have very high glycemic index numbers, and we're becoming (or have become) porkers because of it. 64 ounce cups of HFCS-laden drinks are also a major problem.
I really believe that if everyone made meat and veggies (veggies like broccoli... not like potatoes) the vast majority of their diet, plus walked around a bit more, we'd all slim down considerably.
I recommend the movie "Fat Head," available on Netflix streaming. It's sort of poorly done, but very interesting and informative.

My theory is that the epidemic of obesity is primarily the result of the increased intake of refined carbohydrates especially simple sugars. The consumption of sugar has increased significantly since the 1950s. Many of us were raised on high sugar foods and beverages like Kool Aid and Sugar Smacks. This results in an addiction to sugar.

Or more simply to lose weight simply achieve:
kCal(in) < kCal(out)

How you get there is completely up to the individual. For me I reduced my sucrose & HFCS intake as I find one or both of those are particularly addictive. I still consume plenty of carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes, cereals, fruits, etc) but as long as I watch the caloric intake I'm good.

Or more simply to lose weight simply achieve:
kCal(in) < kCal(out)

How you get there is completely up to the individual. For me I reduced my sucrose & HFCS intake as I find one or both of those are particularly addictive. I still consume plenty of carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes, cereals, fruits, etc) but as long as I watch the caloric intake I'm good.
I agree that the laws of thermodynamics apply here. The question is why an obese person's appetite exceeds caloric needs. I think it is primarily the result of problems with carbohydrate metabolism.

Yes I loved it and I never quit after the 90 days. It will put you in top form. Research it, I cant find a thing that is negative about it except there isn't a P90X2!

Wow, that's a very good recommendation!

I'm no fitness expert, but this is what I've been told by some personal trainers (I will say, from their own appearance, they have no business being a trainer).

more Muscle = more Metabolism
Higher Metabolism = More calories burned "doing nothing"

So, I'd recommend concentrating on weight training more. Maybe 40+ minutes of weight training, and finish with maybe 20-30 minutes of Cardio. While this may not be technically accurate, if you are doing mostly cardio, you are only burning calories during the work out.

Wow, that's a very good recommendation!

Yes it has nutrition and everything you need, Eventually you will figure it all out and you wont need the nut guide after a while but P90X takes some serious calories to get through..so you will be eating! The muscle confusion thing works, results will come on an even pace instead of dying off.

While this may not be technically accurate, if you are doing mostly cardio, you are only burning calories during the work out.

Wow. Is this true? I only have about 45 minutes each day to exercise, so I'm just spending that running.

Ben, I honestly have no idea. I hear so many different things from different barely-qualified trainers. I'm sure by just running, your metabolism is definitely increased for a short time after you stop, but, i hear the best way to lose weight, is a combination of strength training and cardio.

Perhaps try like 25 minutes of strenth training, and 20 minutes running (after strength training).

Doing any kind of exercise at all, in combination with eating properly/getting plenty of sleep, i'm sure you'll lose weight no matter what.

Ben, I honestly have no idea. I hear so many different things from different barely-qualified trainers. I'm sure by just running, your metabolism is definitely increased for a short time after you stop, but, i hear the best way to lose weight, is a combination of strength training and cardio.

Perhaps try like 25 minutes of strenth training, and 20 minutes running (after strength training).

Doing any kind of exercise at all, in combination with eating properly/getting plenty of sleep, i'm sure you'll lose weight no matter what.
I see a lot of overweight people that come into the gym, lift some weights, and leave. I have yet to see someone overweight walk in, get on the treadmill, and run a solid 5 miles. The people that do that are in shape.

Yes it has nutrition and everything you need, Eventually you will figure it all out and you wont need the nut guide after a while but P90X takes some serious calories to get through..so you will be eating! The muscle confusion thing works, results will come on an even pace instead of dying off.

x2 Completely recommend.

I see a lot of overweight people that come into the gym, lift some weights, and leave. I have yet to see someone overweight walk in, get on the treadmill, and run a solid 5 miles. The people that do that are in shape.

Oh, I agree. I've seen the same things. Its really all about the amount of quality effort you put in, eating right, and sleeping right.

"Going through the motions" like most of the overweight people you probably see really does nothing. Especially when they are drinking a soda for hydration (seen it...) or stopping at McDonalds on the way home.

Pure cardio really does much less than you think to help you change your body. Yes you destroy some muscle you probably cant afford to give up anyway...But its the total package, nutrition (protein and carbs are so F'n important..yes I said carbs), some cardio and really strength training is what changes your body and metabolism.

Also, you would be amazed at what removing the sodium overage in your body will do. Its not about weight loss...its about unhealthy habits loss.

Last edited:
Pure cardio really does nothing to help you change your body. yes you destroy some muscle you probably cant afford to give up anyway. It about the total package, nutrition (protein and carbs are so F'n important..yes I said carbs), some cardio and really strength training is what changes your body and metabolism.

Also, you would be amazed at what removing the sodium overage in your body will do. Its not about weight loss...its about unhealthy habits loss.
Carbs are fine if you are very active for at least a few hours after you eat otherwise you get to wear them around your midline. I am living proof. I don't believe that you loose muscle as the result of aerobic or cardio training. Increased muscle mass is less obvious in the lower body than upper body.

Carbs are fine if you are very active for at least a few hours after you eat otherwise you get to wear them around your midline. I am living proof. I don't believe that you loose muscle as the result of aerobic or cardio training. Increased muscle mass is less obvious in the lower body than upper body.

Yes...Im saying you need carbs to properly process protein. Believe what you want...but you wont see body builders doing marathons for a reason

I have to agree P90X is awesome, I am just getting back into it. It does work I lost 40lbs the first month that I was on it. Also felt great and had a lot more energy.

Last edited:
Yes...Im saying you need carbs to properly process protein. Believe what you want...but you wont see body builders doing marathons for a reason
I agree that if you want big muscles don't waste time running but I doubt that cardio training causes muscle atrophy. I do not know why you need carbs to process protein properly. There are plenty of carnivores that do just fine on a low carb diet. If you don't consume adequate calories (including carbs) the body may possibly break down muscle to form amino acids for energy.

Thanks! I think I need to find the time for a 60-min time slot. I want to run at least 4 miles, and I'm slow, so that takes at least 30 minutes. Then, I'll do strength training.

That's good news, because I am running 4-5 miles, 5 times a week! I won't say I'm in shape (20 lbs over ideal), but I will say I am losing weight at an agonizingly slow pace--about 1.5 lbs per week. :incazzato:

I have to agree P90X is awesome, I am just getting back into it. It does work I lost 40lbs the first month that I was on it. Also felt great and had a lot more energy.

40 lbs? Dayum!

That's good news, because I am running 4-5 miles, 5 times a week! I won't say I'm in shape (20 lbs over ideal), but I will say I am losing weight at an agonizingly slow pace--about 1.5 lbs per week. :incazzato:

When you think about it that's actually pretty damn fast. Multiply that by a year. Also log everything you eat, livestrong.com works great.

I'm an easy 80-100 lbs overweight and can put in 4-5 miles at a 5mph pace. So it can be done. But I'm a very "in shape" fat guy:dunno:

Ben. That is actually a very good, healthy pace. If you lose weight too fast, it can cause undue stress on your body. You are doing GREAT!

Interesting article, Geoff

I know a guy who used to stand all day long at his desk, barefoot. I could definitely see this making a slight difference.

Have you guys ever heard of the "10,000 steps a day goal"? I bought a pedometer and checked my average day, and my average day was only 5,000 steps (at least at work), and I thought I walked a lot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back