weight and balance N/A (huh?)

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
Warning--this does contain somewhat of a commerical plug.

I'm a little reluctant to post this here, but I'm hoping it will help others. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Fortunately, I've also always been active enough that it never got completely out of hand, but even 30 lbs over is too heavy. It also cuts into the useful load of my airplane, and in my particular airplane, makes getting the balance tricky if I have a front-seat passenger. We pilots are no different from most Americans, on average, in getting heavier, and I've seen some airplanes take off with passenger loads that seem like they HAVE to be pushing the envelope. Pushing the envelope isn't something I like to do, so while I can't necessarily control my pax weight, I can do something about mine.

So I did. I joined Weight Watchers in February and am happy to report that I've taken off that 30 pounds. Not only does that make the W&B more favorable, but I feel a whole lot better. This isn't the first time I've been through this weight-loss thing, but it is the first time I've used Weight Watchers, and I have to say it's terrific. I never knew how important the group support can be. I always though WW was going to be really commercial, but it isn't. I had my annual physical yesterday, and my doc told me that among all her patients, the ones who are most successful losing and keeping it off are the ones who belong to WW.

So if you're where I was in February, consider finding a chapter and joining. Be aware that WW groups tend to be mostly women, but we do have a guy in our group, and he's losing and enjoying it. In the bigger cities, there might even be groups specifically for men, although the guy in my group tells me that the mental challenges really aren't all that different for men and women, so far as he can tell (I have another male friend who says the same thing).

Just think of the extra pax and stuff you can load into your airplane. (Maybe this wasn't so "N/A" after all.)

Judy

WHOOO HOOOOO! Way to go, Judy! My wife and I joined Weight Watchers a couple of months ago. We're on week 8 and I'm down 17 pounds. I agree that it's strongly slanted toward women, but there are a few guys in our meetings as well. There are 2 lifetime members (guys) who both lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off - they are an inspiration for me. Are you at your goal? I'm still trying to set my goal - I think another 25 or so...we'll see.
Best of luck for continued success!

I use Dolly Parton's self proclaimed diet program:
"Keep my head out of the lard bucket !"
It works.

Last edited:
Way to go, Judy! I wish I had the self-discipline.

So, Judy... Does this mean that we can't meet at the Skyway Cafe at Felts for breakfast?

Good job on the weight loss! I used WW years ago when I had a desk job (and about 30lbs extra weight). Worked great for me at the time and may be in my future again (looking in the mirror...)

Four days off, and another rotten weather forecast!

n741dm said:
So, Judy... Does this mean that we can't meet at the Skyway Cafe at Felts for breakfast?

Good job on the weight loss! I used WW years ago when I had a desk job (and about 30lbs extra weight). Worked great for me at the time and may be in my future again (looking in the mirror...)

Four days off, and another rotten weather forecast!

Actually, the great thing about Weight Watchers is that there are no forbidden foods, just forbidden amounts. However, it's set up to be quite flexible, with some wiggle room for the odd binge. So you don't end up feeling deprived all the time. Still, it's made me a lot more wary of portion size. It annoys the heck out of me that portion sizes in restaurants keep getting bigger and bigger. Definitely does not help. My favorite restaurant in Seattle is a seafood place that has a whole submenu of light meals that really are light.

Yeah, this weather sucks, but I've had it even worse. I was AOG for the annual inspection during that beautiful weather LAST weekend.

Judy

gkainz said:
WHOOO HOOOOO! Way to go, Judy! My wife and I joined Weight Watchers a couple of months ago. We're on week"\0\05{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 pounds. I agree that it's strongly slanted toward women, but there are a few guys in our meetings as well. There are 2 lifetime members (guys) who both lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off - they are an inspiration for me. Are you at your goal? I'm still trying to set my goal - I think another 25 or so...we'll see.
Best of luck for continued success!

Yes, I reached goal this week!

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Judy

judypilot said:
Actually, the great thing about Weight Watchers is that there are no forbidden foods, just forbidden amounts. However, it's set up to be quite flexible, with some wiggle room for the odd binge. So you don't end up feeling deprived all the time. Still, it's made me a lot more wary of portion size. It annoys the heck out of me that portion sizes in restaurants keep getting bigger and bigger. Definitely does not help.

Judy

this is the key to everyone who is thin. you want to eat something? go for it. just don't eat the whole thing. (and if you do once in a while, don't lose sleep over it, just go back to normal eating the next day).

you'll get to the point where eating what used to be "normal amount" will seem like too much to you. I've always had a small stomach, I don't remember the last time I was able to finish a full resto meal. (maybe overseas where they don't load you up).

woodstock said:
this is the key to everyone who is thin. you want to eat something? go for it. just don't eat the whole thing. (and if you do once in a while, don't lose sleep over it, just go back to normal eating the next day).

you'll get to the point where eating what used to be "normal amount" will seem like too much to you. I've always had a small stomach, I don't remember the last time I was able to finish a full resto meal. (maybe overseas where they don't load you up).
I am going to try asking them to go ahead and put half of it into a take out box before bringing it to me - just sort of cuts to the chase!

Good job on the 30 pounds! :D

etsisk said:
I am going to try asking them to go ahead and put half of it into a take out box before bringing it to me - just sort of cuts to the chase!

Good job on the 30 pounds! :D

hey, why not the whole thing in a box! just eat the appetizer and have a few drinks. :D

I'm still trying to chase my mother's voice out of my head that keeps saying "Clean your plate"... my biggest hurdle to overcome is cleaning my plate. If it's in front of me, I have this almost obsession to eat it all. I said once "I paid for it, I can't just throw it out." My wife, who used to eat like a thin person until I "retrained" her, said "Yeah, so you're going to pay for it twice if you eat it all. Once in the wallet and again in the waist." I married a smart woman!

Careful with the drinks. Many years ago when I was working mids, I got into the habit of stopping off each morning and having a "few" beers with the boys. Came summer time and softball season I noticed everything giggled when I ran. Also notice my latest airport ID had this picture of some chubby cheeked guy. Made two changes, went to day shift and quit drinking beer. Three months later was down 30 pounds. Now if I could just quit drinking Pepsi.;)
Ron

Way to go Judy, I know how hard it is to say something. We all have our issues and I am no different.

I don't really have a weight problem, however I investigate aircraft accidents and weight and balance is a real issue for pilots. No one want the finger pointed at then for being our of GC, bu it does happen for to heavy front seat and back seat passengers.

This is one reason part 121 and 135 air carriers are being forced to go to actual weights for carry on and passengers. The smaller the aircraft the bigger the problem with CG.

Stache

gkainz said:
I'm still trying to chase my mother's voice out of my head that keeps saying "Clean your plate"... my biggest hurdle to overcome is cleaning my plate. If it's in front of me, I have this almost obsession to eat it all. I said once "I paid for it, I can't just throw it out." My wife, who used to eat like a thin person until I "retrained" her, said "Yeah, so you're going to pay for it twice if you eat it all. Once in the wallet and again in the waist." I married a smart woman!

Not that I blame my parents, but I grew up the exact same way. I see food on my plate - down the hatch it goes.

The problem is never plate #1, it's plates #2, 3, and 4...

Cheers,

-Andrew
down 25# since the beginning of summer

gkainz said:

I have the same voice in my head. "Think of the starving children in China." For those of you who are of a younger persuasion, this is a true story, as anyone my age can attest. Like if I pig out that's going to help the starving kids in China. Little did our mothers know they were creating big-time complexes in their little kids.

The problem with doggie-bagging it is that most of the eating out I do is when I travel, and I travel a LOT. It's hard to do the doggie-bag thing when you're traveling because (a) there's no way to refrigerate it and (b) there's no way to eat it (i.e., hotels usually don't come equipped with cutlery).

Judy

larrysb said:
I lost about 30lbs since february on WW myself. The first week was hard.

Been off track due to crazy work environment for a few weeks now and gained a few pounds. Something about working until 3 in the morning (and later) and downing junk food and chocolate to maintain energy is just not conducive to good health and weight control. Got to pay for a another quarter this week, got to get back on track.

Larry,

That's so hard, I know. One thing that really helps me is to stay in shape. I carve out time for exercise, as hard as it is to do so. It's essential.

It also helps to pack a big bag of healthy snacks. You don't need the sugar to keep up your energy. That's probably been one of the hardest things for me to learn, and I'm still learning. Being tired is a huge pitfall for me.

Good luck.

Judy

judypilot said:
I have the same voice in my head. "Think of the starving children in China." For those of you who are of a younger persuasion, this is a true story, as anyone my age can attest. Like if I pig out that's going to help the starving kids in China. Little did our mothers know they were creating big-time complexes in their little kids.

The problem with doggie-bagging it is that most of the eating out I do is when I travel, and I travel a LOT. It's hard to do the doggie-bag thing when you're traveling because (a) there's no way to refrigerate it and (b) there's no way to eat it (i.e., hotels usually don't come equipped with cutlery).

Judy

a friend of mine would say, before having a drink "I have to drink this, there are sober children in Africa". hahaha

re: doggie bagging - maybe get appetizers? I know what you mean though, you pretty much have to waste the food because where would you put it. and if you are on vacation, are you really going to carry that box of food the rest of the day or evening?

Back