Website to track flights

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Can someone post the site or sites one can use to track flight by putting in an N number? Thanks.

Yes! Thanks Greg!

The odd thing, no matter where I go, regardless of how high, FF or not, I never show up in FlightAware.

SkyHog said:
The odd thing, no matter where I go, regardless of how high, FF or not, I never show up in FlightAware.
I expected the link with tailno that I posted above to show my last flight - VFR w/FF, but instead showed one considerably older, which I suspect was an IFR flight. I'm guessing it's IFR only?

gkainz said:
I expected the link with tailno that I posted above to show my last flight - VFR w/FF, but instead showed one considerably older, which I suspect was an IFR flight. I'm guessing it's IFR only?

Some people say they can see their VFR flights with FF. I've never seen it with me.

Ahhh, I had to resort to RTFM ... from their FAQs:

http://flightaware.com/about/faq.rvt#data

Can FlightAware track VFR flights? What about a VFR flight with a flight plan? (Back To Top)

Some VFR aircraft with flight following are available on the position maps but it largely unreliable and no arrival/departure/flight plan data is available. VFR flight plans are irrelevant and only used by FSS for search and rescue. We suggest ensuring that aircraft are on an IFR flight plan from wheels up to wheels down for proper tracking.

I think its for IFR only, but I wonder if you filed a VFR flightplan it would show up?

Holy moley ... look at the conga line departing Centennial KAPA

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KAPA

then click on the little map to display a zoomed in map

Edit1: oops, just followed my own advice and looked closer - they're not departing KAPA but there's a traffic jam northbound on the east side of KAPA ... wonder what that is? One of the published approached to DEN?

Edit2: yep, changed airport to KDEN and all the little green airplanes turned to blue! Fun stuff! (but now I have to get back to database stuff...)

Last edited:
wow, that is pretty bad. Maybe weather has moved in up there?

SkyHog said:

You have to have filed a VFR flight plan to get into the system, and have opened the flight plan, and have FF. I have had VFR flights tracked by flightaware, but only when all of the above conditions are met.

gkainz said:
Holy moley ... look at the conga line departing Centennial KAPA
Interesting. I see three of our planes listed there, none of which is me, thankfully. I got to sleep in.

Bill Jennings said:
You have to have filed a VFR flight plan to get into the system, and have opened the flight plan, and have FF. I have had VFR flights tracked by flightaware, but only when all of the above conditions are met.

I've done it - perfect example was my flight from ALbuquerque to Fort Collins, satisfied every possible scenario I could imagine:

File VFR Flight Plan
Open VFR FLight Plan
Got Flight Following
Handed off from Approach to Center
Handed off from Center to another Center
Flew through Class B airspace
Was at about 11500 The whole way

Centennial, APA, is a very busy airport. No weather here today, its always that busy.

SkyHog said:
I've done it - perfect example was my flight from ALbuquerque to Fort Collins, satisfied every possible scenario I could imagine:

Hmmm, everytime I've done all that the flight was tracked. Maybe you have one of those stealth Cherokees :D

In my experience, if you have VFR Flight Following, *and* are going far enough to be handed off to another controller, you appear; but if you are staying within the confines of one controlling agency, sometimes you do not.

Also, on my IFR flight from MRF to ADS yesterday, the Flightaware track shows only the portion of the flight (about the last third) from when they assigned me a new squawk code; I suspect that, in the FAA's system, it looked like a new flight.

SkyHog said:

Shhhhh Nick Don't you fly one of those top secret Stealth Cherokees?

SkyHog said:

File VFR Flight Plan
Open VFR FLight Plan
Got Flight Following
Handed off from Approach to Center
Handed off from Center to another Center
Flew through Class B airspace
Was at about 11500 The whole way

Flight following being the critical part. You have to be "in the system."

I read somewhere owners can opt out for privacy's sake, could the owner of your a/c have done that Nick?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I read somewhere owners can opt out for privacy's sake, could the owner of your a/c have done that Nick?

If we had opted for that, the track would still show, it would just say "BLOCKED" for the tail number.

And I'm pretty sure we haven't opted out.

SCCutler said:
In my experience, if you have VFR Flight Following, *and* are going far enough to be handed off to another controller, you appear; but if you are staying within the confines of one controlling agency, sometimes you do not.

Also, on my IFR flight from MRF to ADS yesterday, the Flightaware track shows only the portion of the flight (about the last third) from when they assigned me a new squawk code; I suspect that, in the FAA's system, it looked like a new flight.

That's what they did with me on my last IFR flight CMF12R

Back