Weather Station Suggestion

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
My POS LaCrosse weather station has crapped out for the last time. I'm tired of having to go out and reset it every whipstitch and am going to replace it.

I want outside wind, temperature, and rainfall wirelessly transmitted to the "base station". I want to access the base station wirelessly from my PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

We bought my father a Oregon Scientific WMR-968 in either 2006 or 2007. It has separate wind, temp/dew, rain bucket and pressure gauges. The only replacement so far has been the rain bucket. We might be needing to replace the temp and wind gauges here soon as there getting less accurate. The only complete outages we have had in the past 7/8 years has either been power or computer related. Our station also has been on wunderground, with a complete history, since at least 2007.

Our model is no longer produced but we have had nothing but good luck out of Oregon Scientifc products.

My POS LaCrosse weather station has crapped out for the last time. I'm tired of having to go out and reset it every whipstitch and am going to replace it.

I want outside wind, temperature, and rainfall wirelessly transmitted to the "base station". I want to access the base station wirelessly from my PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

I have the same issues with my La Crap. Will be watching this thread. Thanks for posting it.

There is a huge gap between the quality level of say a LaCrap and Oregon Scientific, and the high dollar ones.

I joined a Weather forum just to look for the same info and basically realized I'll be a lot better off just saving my shekels for a real weather station instead of fixing dad's ancient Oregon.

The little guys get you coming and going. They'll usually ask at least another $200 just for stupid serial port and data dump you can use.

I'll see if I can find their FAQ on it and link to it here.

Well I went over there and can't say if I'd be able to explain the myriad of options after reading their latest stuff. What types of sensors, do you need or want Internet logging, PC logging, multiple displays, accuracy, etc.

Just bop on over to wxforum.net and take a gander. Don't have to join to read.

You might find yourself sixteen hours in still researching all the options.

La Crosse and Oregon Scientific are both equally bad.

Davis Instruments is really the starting point for decent equipment.

La Crosse and Oregon Scientific are both equally bad.

Davis Instruments is really the starting point for decent equipment.

Agreed... Mine has been running for years.... It is the old Weather Monitor II

Can try this:

http://www.rainwise.com/products/index.php?Category=MK-III-LR_Weather_Stations__

Mine is acting up and ready for FRR, but the present one is 15 years old and the NM UV is taking it's toll on it. MAJOR problem(s) right now include faulty BP output and the battery is going south -- not doing well recharging during the day, so tends to go offline over night when temps are in single digit Celsius or colder. Otherwise, has been good machine.

I'm using a vantage Vue from Davis. Works great. Has a solar panel integrated and the software is pretty good. Mine uploads to wonderground and NOAA every 5 seconds. If you get a findu.com ID, you can also view the station on its own page with raw data. On Wonderground, it also displays your station info in meyar format as well.

Back