Weather question

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Living in an area that has quite a bit of convective activity I was trying to determine if there is some chart, forecast that would tell
1. Possible intensity of the convective weather
2. Duration and cloud tops.

I know if one is here, you walk outside and look up. But what if you are flying into the area.

Any light on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

:dunno:

Any money spent on getting education direct from Scott D. and his site is well spent. Especially one on one training. www.avwxworkshops.com

Once you know his Roadmap concept, finding the right charts, forecasts, and more in order to make your weather decision gets simpler all the time.

Check his Live Workshop schedule. He has one scheduled in Houston. I'm working on getting him to D/FW in October.

This is great, and I am sure it all this will be useful for my IFR training that starts in 30 hours, but hey whose counting?

I have the October date on the calendar.

My actual home base KIWS. Not but about an 8 minute flight to SGR. Hahahah

This is great, and I am sure it all this will be useful for my IFR training that starts in 30 hours, but hey whose counting?

I have the October date on the calendar.

My actual home base KIWS. Not but about an 8 minute flight to SGR. Hahahah

This looks like a great opportunity! I'm trying to get my CFI to join me so we can do it a bit cheaper. If you see a maroon/gray cherokee flying next to you from IWS-SGR, that's me!

You can go through that dozen-plus set of sites listed above, or you can go to the ADDS site, select the Convection tab, and look at the Convective SIGMETs, CCFP, and Convective Outlook. That section will give you what you want, and it's available easily and free on any computer with an internet connection.

This looks like a great opportunity! I'm trying to get my CFI to join me so we can do it a bit cheaper. If you see a maroon/gray cherokee flying next to you from IWS-SGR, that's me!

Great maybe we can hook up when I need a safety pilot.
Or just a $100 hamburger

Pm me with your contact info.:yes:

Another weather related seminar at IWS for the Houston GA crowd. It may not be geared toward flight planning, but looks interesting and informative:

"ARTCC Weather Information, Airspace and Traffic Management"
Topic: ARTCC Weather Information, Airspace and Traffic Management
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM
18000 Groschke Rd.
Terminal Bldg.
Houston, TX 77084
Select Number:
SW0950526

Description:
Meteorologist from Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC), Houston, provides FAA supervisors and the Traffic Management Unit, up to the minute weather information expected to impact ARTCC operations. She will discuss how the vast airspace is divided; the equipment available to gather critical weather information, and the effect weather has on traffic management.

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: FAASTeam

The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit

**edit - typo.

Last edited:
just had a presentation last night on the ADDS site by one of the guys who works on it (he's in our club).
There are actually 2 sites
Experimental (no, not experimental a/c - more like a beta test site) at http:/weather.aero and
Operational at http://adds.aviationweather.gov

one point I thought was cool tech stuff is they're working on measuring turbulence in clouds with radar by observing the eddy dissipation rate - more details at http://www.rap.ucar.edu/projects/ntda/

Another weather related seminar at IWS for the Houston GA crowd. It may not geared toward flight planning, but looks interesting and informative:

"ARTCC Weather Information, Airspace and Traffic Management"
Topic: ARTCC Weather Information, Airspace and Traffic Management

This looks really interesting... I'm going to forward the idea to our local FAASTeam.

Back