Weather poster "forecast weather without gadgets"

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
Stumbled on this while surfing the web for weather learning aids. Weather is something that I sometimes have a hard time with, but it's essential in my current job to know as much about local weather as possible.

I grew up hearing things like "red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morning, sailors take warning", but never knew the what/why behind the sayings. This gives some kind of cool background snips for the folk wisdom.

Attachments

• HowToForecastWeather.jpg
    HowToForecastWeather.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 88
that's cool - thanks! I love mammatus clouds.

One of the worst sandstorms I was in was in the middle of the Atlantic, that red dust off the Sahara had vis at next to nothing.

I'm sure it happens, but it isn't the reasoning behind the "red sky at night/morning" wisdom. The pamphlet says it is.

I'm sure it happens, but it isn't the reasoning behind the "red sky at night/morning" wisdom. The pamphlet says it is.
Dust, dirty air :dunno:

http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/redsky/page2.html
A temperature inversion (temperature increasing with height) forms at the level of the troposphere where this downward motion is strongest. This happens because downward-moving air experiences higher pressure as it descends and thus is compressed. According to the laws of physics, air heats when it is compressed. Vertical motion is inhibited at the level of the inversion; thus dirty air containing suspensions of soot, dust, and other particles (known as aerosols) is trapped near the surface.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/weather-sailor.html
Red sky at night, sailors delight.
When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning.
A red sunrise reflects the dust particles of a system that has just passed from the west. This indicates that a storm system may be moving to the east. If the morning sky is a deep fiery red, it means a high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain is on its way.

Last edited:
Yep Although "Red sky at night sailors delight" an all that is a bit latitude dependent.

Nope, latitude rules and winds are mirrored at the equator.
Doh! Thanks. I was thinking of the coriolis effect, but no matter where you go, the sun will always rise in the east and set in the west. Where's a "I'm a dumbass" smilie when you need one. :goofy:

Ever see a weather rock?

If it is wet it is raining.
If it moved it was windy, very windy.
Is you can't see it is dark.
If you can see a shadow it is sunny.

Lots of FBO's have weather rocks. :rolleyes:

Ever see a weather rock?

Yeah, I lived in Gardiner, MT for a while when I was in my teens. North Gate of Yellowstone Park. Tons of tourists. All of the stores sold weather rocks. And Moosquitos & Elk Birds (made out of moose and elk droppings).

Ever see a weather rock?

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading that.

Back