Weather map controls?

Do you have AC 00-45E? Aviation Weather Services

You can read about Surface Analysis Charts in chapter 5. Here is the online version for Ch 5 followed by a link to the entire book on the FAA site. It would be best to just buy the book. It's not too badly written.

Chapter Five

Aviation Weather Services Book

The late Bob Buck also wrote a great book on understanding Aviation Weather. Another was done by Peter Lester.

what I am trying to get at is, I can interpret an "H" over an area the size of Colorado, a couple hundred miles across. But when they put 5 or 6 H's and L's in a small area, it is impossible to know what you are dealing with.
All I can figure is, a computer must generate them and a human does not ever double check it.

what I am trying to get at is, I can interpret an "H" over an area the size of Colorado, a couple hundred miles across. But when they put 5 or 6 H's and L's in a small area, it is impossible to know what you are dealing with.
All I can figure is, a computer must generate them and a human does not ever double check it.
It's a bit compact but it's still data spread over a half dozen states or more. Given there are mountains involved, that alone can allow for drastic changes in a short distance. It's still pretty easy to pick out there is a high in northwest Colorado surrounded by lows. It's a bit harder to read the numbers to see how much variation.

If you look at the current issue, it has mellowed out quite a bit; a single high moved southeast with larger lows in surrounding regions.

I tend to use more textual data but I need to get more practice with graphic charts as well if I'm going to teach.

Back