Weather in Sedona this Weekend

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Well - the weather is finally out for Sedona this weekend. Looks like it'll be good on Saturday.....but Sunday's got the TStorms. I certainly hope that goes away.

Uh oh - things are starting to go south a bit here....
map_wkpln_day2_3ussw_enus_440x297.jpg

map_wkpln_day3_3ussw_enus_440x297.jpg

Rain in and by itself is not a problem. Knowing the flow and the day time temps will go a long way in determining what, if any, obscuring phenomena to expect. From your graphs it looks like it's moving to the SSE, away from your intended route.

FYI, some fairly strong winds are predicted as this thing moves in. This is considered mountain country. If you're flying in, be aware of mountain flying techniques and how to deal with the wind.

ugh - the FBO that I rent from has put the plane I was going to fly into 100 hour inspection. I will not be able to make it, as my plane is being flown by someone else, and I am not checked out in it yet.

I'm sorry guys! :(

We decided to bag on it. I'm sure we would have been OK leaving today, but I figured we would get thrashed pretty good. I wanted to fly over to the meteor crater too and I didn't think that was going to be very pleasant either. Maybe in May.

Well since you can't make it in person here's a virtual short final.

The weather was great last weekend. Heres a couple of photos from the Sedona area.
Gary

Gary Miesch said:
The weather was great last weekend. Heres a couple of photos from the Sedona area.
Gary
Gary, That 3rd pic looks like you were alittle high on final. then looking at #4 you mustve been shot down or something. I find that most people flying into Sedona for the first time tend to be a tad high on final. Its that whole, dont wanna be part of the mountain thing.
Great pics. Thanks!

You're welcome Michael,
The shot that you are referring to was taken out the left rear window while on a crosswind for Rwy-21, not on final for Rwy-03. We put together a montage of photos at http://www.commander.org Scroll down the left side menu and click on "Member Homepages" then click on the "I agree-Lets go" Box at the bottom.
The Sedona gallery should be towards the top of the gallery page. You may also visit all of the members galleries, as well. Many areas of our website are accessible to the public. There are some areas, however, that do require a membership fee.
Enjoy,
Gary

Well just talked to Nick , He got another plane and tried to get there,but Wx came in and he's stuck in Las Vegas (New Mexico).Said Sorry aleast he tryed , Just Thought you'd like to know where Nick is. Dave G

Shipoke said:
Well just talked to Nick , He got another plane and tried to get there,but Wx came in and he's stuck in Las Vegas (New Mexico).Said Sorry aleast he tryed , Just Thought you'd like to know where Nick is. Dave G
That means he gets an A+ for effort. Ya' gotta' push to find out where your limitations lie.

Shipoke said:
stuck in Las Vegas (New Mexico)
Dang, give him all our condolences! ;)
Maybe someone out there loves lvs but when I used to frequent there I did all I could to not get stuck there overnight! (I would stay inside after 9pm at least back then - kind of a rough neighborhood)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Dang, give him all our condolences! ;)
Maybe someone out there loves lvs but when I used to frequent there I did all I could to not get stuck there overnight! (I would stay inside after 9pm at least back then - kind of a rough neighborhood)

Ugh - I hate Las Vegas. I will try as hard as possible to never be there again.

I'm posting my story in "Lessons Learned" as it definitely belongs there.

NickDBrennan said:
Ugh - I hate Las Vegas. I will try as hard as possible to never be there again.
Perhaps it's Michael getting back at you for the broken parts. Either that or you're suffering some vistigial effects of DIWS (Drigg's Inclement Wx Syndrome) Getting your own a/c is the proper Rx but give it some time.

I'm posting my story in "Lessons Learned" as it definitely belongs there.
Uh, what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas?

btw - great pictures guys! Sounds like y'all still had a good time, even without me :)

For those of you familiar with the area, I will be flying down that way in early december, and I'm wondering what I should expect for weather. I figured seeing as how it's the desert, it'll be severe clear, but perhaps I am wrong?

deafsound said:
For those of you familiar with the area, I will be flying down that way in early december, and I'm wondering what I should expect for weather. I figured seeing as how it's the desert, it'll be severe clear, but perhaps I am wrong?

The weird thing is that its usually either clear or filled with T-Storms. The last 2 weeks has been non convective clouds, and strange for us.

I'll bet by December it'll be back to the T-storms or no storms policy again.

deafsound said:

The weather is more often clear in the winter than other parts of the country but they can have terrible stuff too. Fog, Ts's, wicked winds - all that and more are all in mother nature's bag of tricks there too.

Let'sgoflying! said:
The weather is more often clear in the winter than other parts of the country but they can have terrible stuff too. Fog, Ts's, wicked winds - all that and more are all in mother nature's bag of tricks there too.
The wind and t-storms are worse in the summer with the high heat and monsoonal moisture coming from the Gulf of Mexico.

Winter rains tend to be longer drizzles with lower ceiling, ala back East. Fog is a possibility but tends to dissipate fairly fast.

Statistically, you're going to have better flying weather here than just about anywhere else in the country. Just depends on what side of the statistics you fall on. ;)

Back