Weather briefings explained.

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
Well I cited most of the info from an official FAA document, so if there's any grief... Well I guess I can just point them to that LOL

Well I cited most of the info from an official FAA document, so if there's any grief... Well I guess I can just point them to that LOL
Looks straightforward to me, I like it!

Feel free to check out the rest of the site too. We put together a digital weather checklist with official links to NOAA, NWS, and ADDS. (You know just in case you don't want to get a briefing every single time).

Hey, you gave it some attention, it works, and meets the need. Many roads to the top of the mountain. . .

I guess we need a picture of the 'weather rock'. You know, the one that when wet, it's raining, when white, there's snow, etc.. That's one of the simple ways to see what the weather is up to.

Sure, it's a good summary of AC 00-45G Change 2. But I am not one who can listen to a briefer reading you a bunch of text from a script and visualize the threats along my route. Moreover, there are too many variables that just don't surface with such a FSS briefing. In fact, in the draft of the next version (AC 00-45H) of this advisory circular it says,

"In the past decade, access to aviation weather products has greatly improved with the increase of flight planning services and weather Web sites. The experience of listening to a weather briefing over a phone while trying to write down pertinent weather information becomes less tolerable when the reports are easily obtainable on a home computer, tablet computer, or even a smart phone. To see weather along your route using a graphic of plotted weather reports combined with radar and satellite is preferable to trying to mentally visualize a picture from verbalized reports."

I totally agree.
I agree with you. I guess I find it helpful to talk to a briefer if I'm having trouble interpreting some of the information myself. It's like a second opinion in addition to my own interpretations.

I'd never rely solely on just calling a briefer.

I guess we need a picture of the 'weather rock'. You know, the one that when wet, it's raining, when white, there's snow, etc.. That's one of the simple ways to see what the weather is up to.
"Get off the damn computer and look out the freakin' window!" -my first cfi

Fair statement, but what kinds of info do you have trouble interpreting?
Forecasts mostly. For example it was really hard to tell when some storms were going to pop up in between my departure and destination the other day, because there were no reporting airports in between the departure and arrival airports.

I decided to call a briefer and see if he could see anything that I was missing. So I guess when I call a briefer it's more of just a second opinion and verification that I'm looking at the right things. I can be pretty forgetful or miss things easily. If I'm alone then it's nice to talk to someone else about what's going on.

I'm not sure today's briefers are any better at interpreting the weather than us pilots are.

"Prevailing visibility along your route is more than 20 miles, ceilings 10,000. VFR not recommended."

Back