We need a "Stupid Pilots Law"

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
This made me laugh out loud although I'll agree it ISN'T funny if a rescuer or a "stupid" motorist or one of his/her passengers gets injured.

Stupid motorists, beware

SCOTTSDALE - The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office will invoke the state's "stupid motorist law" for the first time, after a Cave Creek man drove around traffic barricades and tried to cross a flooded street last week in his Hummer.

The driver, Paul Zalewski, 47, reportedly ignored warnings not to enter Creek Canyon Road in Cave Creek on Friday.

But "Hummers are made to float," sheriff's spokesman Lt. Paul Chagolla said. "Other people told him not to go in there, and he did it anyway," endangering himself and six passengers, including three children.

I guess it IS Aviation related:

Water rescues involve painstaking precision by both pilots and rescuers; helicopters fly directly over stranded vehicles and airlift victims to safety one at a time. One skid rests and balances on the vehicle, allowing rescuers to scoop up victims, while the other skid hovers above the water.

Wet, precarious surfaces and the risk of electrical shock make the task a dangerous one for rescuers, Anglin said. And "every single time it rains, somebody does this.

"And it's always the same washes. If an H2 and a tractor-trailer and a front-loader can't make it through these washes, your car isn't going to."

I always wondered why the taxpayers have to pay thousands to rescue hikers and "extreme sports" participants that get stuck on mountains and such.

I guess that pilots that fly towards mountains with 1-2 miles visibility and 1000 foot ceilings should also get a bill - if they live.

--Mike

Yeah, that's a common occurence around here during this time of year, along with the monsoons in July and August.

I know some people that go out to look for stuff like this to do. Idiots with trucks they can barely handle.

The bill is NOT going to be cheap, either.

mikea said:
I always wondered why the taxpayers have to pay thousands to rescue hikers and "extreme sports" participants that get stuck on mountains and such.

They shouldn't have to. The Coast Guard used to spend millions of dollars and lots of time towing in every dimbulb that ran out of fuel "out there". Now they charge them a healthy fee for non-emergency assistance. This has led to a cottage industry of service boats that will provide fuel or a tow - after you surrender your credit card.

Maybe these extreme sports nuts should be required to post a rescue bond before being allowed to use public land for their stunts? Just a thought.

-Skip

...and hello everybody!

Skip Miller said:
Maybe these extreme sports nuts should be required to post a rescue bond before being allowed to use public land for their stunts? Just a thought.

-Skip

...and hello everybody!

I anticipate that the number of SARs will increase as handheld EPIRBs become more popular. It's perhaps anecdotal but I have already read of one hiker who set his off because he was going to be late for a meeting.

And hello, everybody, from me too!

Carol

Carol said:
I anticipate that the number of SARs will increase as handheld EPIRBs become more popular. It's perhaps anecdotal but I have already read of one hiker who set his off because he was going to be late for a meeting.

Carol

At the very least there ought to be a law penalizing people who activate a rescue for convenience.

Would a "stupid pilot law" cover making a low pass down a runway and hitting an R/C airplane?

Geez...is this National Necroposting Week? How many 5+ year old threads are going to be resurrected this week.

:idea: New feature request for Jesse:

How about an indication when a necro thread is revived? Perhaps a zombie icon next to the title???:D

Heck...just autolock threads that have had not activity for some reasonable length of time...like 5 years or so!

:idea: New feature request for Jesse:

How about an indication when a necro thread is revived? Perhaps a zombie icon next to the title???:D

How about just changing the color of the thread title bar to something a bit stale like brown or puke yellow after the last post has been around for several months? That way it would be IDd as old before it gets revived by someone who didn't notice the old date.

I was on a forum last night looking at some old posts and below the replay box was a message

this post has not been active for 2,751 days. It probably has no new information that needs to be added to it, but if you feel like you need to make a post please check the box below allowing you to do so

Or something like that. At least then you have to do something to bring back the old post.

How about just changing the color of the thread title bar to something a bit stale like brown or puke yellow after the last post has been around for several months? That way it would be IDd as old before it gets revived by someone who didn't notice the old date.

Or it would indicate to Scott, Nick, et al that it was ready to be revived. :rofl:

They shouldn't have to. The Coast Guard used to spend millions of dollars and lots of time towing in every dimbulb that ran out of fuel "out there". Now they charge them a healthy fee for non-emergency assistance. This has led to a cottage industry of service boats that will provide fuel or a tow - after you surrender your credit card.

-Skip

...and hello everybody!

That is a negative sir. The USCG is not allowed to charge anyone a dime, that was established years in Federal Court when they tried to. THAT is what lead to the Commercial Assist Towing industry. CG will only come out to save lives, not property.

I stand corrected, but the result is the same. If you run out of fuel, and your life is merely inconvenienced (as opposed to being in danger), you had better have your credit card handy.

-Skip

Would a "stupid pilot law" cover making a low pass down a runway and hitting an R/C airplane?
would the stupid law apply to the morons using an airport as a play-field? I thought you were SUPPOSED to do a low fly by to check the wind sock & runway condition at an airport w/ no radio or atis.Dave.

Back