Water in the belly of my 1970 Mooney M20E

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
I went to check on my 1970 M20E today after about 3 inches of rain yesterday and saw a few drips of water coming off of the bottom. So I crawled under, pulled a couple of inspection panels off and this is what I found. Any ideas where the water would penetrate? There are two side vents that are my leading culprits. A new cover is definitely getting ordered ASAP, but I'd like to stop the leaking first.

There is no water in the cabin, the carpets are dry, and no water or musty smell.

I soaked up as much water as I could. Any suggestions appreciated!

351676b524e6365bf5ece6b239f4b115.jpg

These are the panels where I found water. Fore and aft are dry.

7fa032eb7fe5978b712c14864be2df9e.jpg

Worried about the drip.

ab65c3e8c219e6c85828e13c9c2c139c.jpg

78f067ca8643203d3855486255c92e41.jpg

Windows need to be re bedded most likely, hopefully it isn't running down the back of your panel. Also you need to clear your weep holes and clean your belly.

Panel area was dry, but I'm going to pull them tomorrow and reseal them just to be safe.

Any chance of getting under cover? Most of these planes leak in the wind is a certain way in driving rain.

As a minimum ,purchase a cockpit cover. Go out and sit in the airplane during a rain storm . Also dry up all water ,so you may be able to trace the source.

I just had to reseal ALL my windows in my 182 even though they looked good. Thought I was getting water intrusion through a bad baggage door seal until I flew through some precipitation and had some moisture on bags that were ABOVE the door!

tankering is usually reserved for gas not water in GA planes!

I'd recommend checking weep no more for a solution with your mooney as well as posting on the Mooneyspace forum. We are a fun helpful group of Mooniacs!

Blue angel, I posted on Mooneyspace and got a few really good answers, just looking for so e other opinions. I'm ordering a new, heavier cover from Bruce's Custom Covers in the next few weeks. The one I have is obviously not doing the job.

As far as a hangar goes, I'd love one but they are really hard to come by around here (Austin, TX area).

Back