Water in cockpit after heavy rain?

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
I just recently purchased a 1979 Piper Archer. Unfortunately I am 26th on the list to get a hangar at my local field so I have no choice but to tie her down outside. The other night we had some of the strongest rain that I have ever seen here in Delaware. The rain started in the early morning hours around 1 AM and was sustained for the whole day. It was some of the strongest wind and rain that I have heard in a long time. I went to check on the plane today and noticed that the carpets below both sides of the panel were wet. I lifted up the carpet and found that they were more than just a little damp with some water pooling. I pulled the carpet out from both sides and dried up all the water. I tried to find the source of the leak and the only thing I noticed was below the vent on the right side it was a little wet. The vent was dry but it was open. On the pilot side it also seemed a little wet but not as bad as the right side. I did have a canvas cover on the plane and didn't see anything wet above the vents. The door seal also seems to be very good. The carpet below the seats was dry so it was all contained to the front of the spar in front of the seat rails.

My questions: Could the water have come in through the vents if the wind and rain were strong enough? Does anyone have any suggestions for me to check? I've always been told to leave the vents open but now I question this. What does everyone else do? Someone help ease my mind here as I don't want to have a leaky airplane!

I've had water pool in the right side pockets after a heavy downpour.

You need to check the door seal. You can have the door latch tightened up but you may need new rubber seals.

I replaced the seal on my cherokee 140. But it didn't help. I use a cabin cover
(Kennon) and that has eliminated wet carpets. But I depend mostly on having
in a hangar.

In addition to the door, others have found that leaky windshield and/or windows are a source of water.

Good luck

Gary Shelby and i have tried to figure out where the water comes from on the floor behingd the front pax seat after heavy rain. it proably is in the lower side panel too only on the Pax side though. We thought the door seal but the plane has a good new cover. Its too far back to be the vents. We thought wingroot seal but he patched a small pin hole and same thing. We are betting its running down from the tail at least thats our latest theory.

My carpet gets wet in my 172 everytime it rains. Ive tried many times to seal everything up but the 35 year old plane is just going to leak, so I gave up. Wet carpet once in a while wont hurt it. Just fly it more to dry it out, lol. But hosing the plane will tell you where the leaks are if you look close.

Wing root seals, side window installation and windshield are all possibilities. The side windows are normally sealed with a bead of silicone on installation. I've used automotive windshield sealer (runny silicone) on my windshield.

There is an AD that has to do with removing insulating material from the vicinity of the aft wing spar attachment fitting. The insulation gets soggy and stays that way causing the carbon steel fitting to rust (mine had to be replaced on one side).

(71 Cherokee owner)

Last edited:
Back