Watching the GPS closely <g>

Ever see someone put their head down watching the GPS; here's someone taking that to the extreme.
Or, tunnel vision with a cell phone glued to the side of their head? I see it all day long. I'm convinced if I die in a traffic accident the driver at fault will more likely be on a cell phone than DWI.

"Then I heard this train and I noticed there was train tracks. It was only then that I did realise I was on a train crossing."

She parked her car on the tracks and got out, but didn't realize she was on the tracks?? There's more at work here than blind faith in her GPS.

Or, tunnel vision with a cell phone glued to the side of their head? I see it all day long. I'm convinced if I die in a traffic accident the driver at fault will more likely be on a cell phone than DWI.

Uh, see my post about the accident in the phoenix area over a lake <g>

Best,

Dave

There was a story about another driver who England who followed the GPS down a closed road until the car was underwater.

I use my Garmin Nuvi to tells me how to drive around the area of my new house. I've been coming out for over ten years but it has showed me how to use the roads better. Being a city kid, I want to go straight north-south east-west, but the roads don't go that way. I always ended up drifting 3-10 miles off course that way. I finally figured out that the main reason the roads wander is there are lakes in the way. Doh! I always saw those from the air, but it took really studying the maps, and seeing the lakes on the Nuvi for it to sink in.

What's scary is even though I have a current map data, there are two spots nearby where the GPS thinks I'm driving off road. In one case I can accept that the road is still under construction. I look to see if I can tell where the road it wants me turn on used to be, but I can't see any sign of it. There's another intersection on the way south where the GPS tells me to turn on to the wrong road. Once after making that wrong turn and looping back, I figured out that the road is another 1/4 mile ahead, I make the turn. The GPS says "recalculating" showing me driving in a field, until, miracle of miracles, I end up on the road it wanted me on a mile further down the map.

There seems to be a growing trend in the UK of people suspending their common sense when they get in a car and turn on GPS navigation units. There are people driving off cliffs and through flooded roads and taking detours that span half of England, apparently at the behest of their navigation units. Things got so bad in one place that authorities even had to put up "ignore your sat nav" signs.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070511/102354.shtml

Maybe Brit culture makes it more likely you'll do as told? I would imagine Asian cultures like the Japanese would be most prone to that.

This reminds me driving from Chicago with a fellow nerd who was obsessed with our GPS and his PC-based map software. At point he was like "I'm hungry" and I was like "me too, let's go to burger king" and he was like "[looking at his PC] there's none around here." and I was like "uh yeah there is" and he was like "no, I'm looking at the computer and there a no burger kings around here anywhere" and I was like "well, I'm looking out the windshield and I see one," and he was like "oh."

http://hardware.slashdot.org/commen...mmentsort=0&mode=thread&pid=19101277#19101701

That's the other thing about my Nuvi. It also doesn't know about stores that opened in the last few years and there are a lot of those.

A woman was driving down my street and asked me if I knew where "nnn Station Circle" was. I told her to hang on a minute, ran into the house and grabbed my Nuvi to look it up and show her. It didn't have the street. I told her to look around by the new train station and told her where that was. :redface:

Last edited:
It wasnt that fact she was a Brit, it wasn't that she was using Satnav. It's simply because she was a woman driver.

Unfortunately, there are people in this world with no common sense and where DARWIN should take affect. They skate through the world lucky as sin and completely unscathed. By all that's right, she should have been in the car.
I can't imagine NOT seeing that you've just parked your car on a railroad.
And let me say this about that, antilock brakes and traction control and seat belts and airbags were built for people like that.
Darwin, come back. The world needs you.
Bucky Covington says it best.

Last edited:
Ed, you're a brave man. Perhaps not very smart but definitely brave. :D

Nah, I'm smart. I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder ready to smack me with a rolling pin when I say things like that.

The chain attached to the stove keeps her far enough away from the computer that I'm safe. :goofy:

Like, when did the Brits, like, start talking like, like, valley girls? I thought they were, Pip pip and all that rot, what?

Apparently she also put all her trust in the train to not push her car, like, into her.

Maybe she can sue the gate mgr for not making an idiot proof product.

Last edited:
Like, when did the Brits, like, start talking like, like, valley girls? I thought they were, Pip pip and all that rot, what?

Apparently she also put all her trust in the train to not push her car, like, into her.

Maybe she can sue the gate mgr for not making an idiot proof product.

ONE "Like." So sue her. The rest of what she's quoted saying shows command of vocabulary and grammar that like, far exceeds what the average Amurican girl could come up with.

Yesterday, the engineer in the next cube was telling a story about how someone else was late to a shooting match (Hey- it's Nebraska!). His friend called and sheepishly explained that he didn't look at the city when entering the address and wound up about 30 miles away from where the shooting match was held (same address, different town- street was a numbered street like 10th street).

The part that made it more embarassing: he was at the shooting range a couple of times before. He went most of the wrong way before common sense kicked in.

Nah, I'm smart. I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder ready to smack me with a rolling pin when I say things like that.

The chain attached to the stove keeps her far enough away from the computer that I'm safe. :goofy:

Yeah? Think that's going to keep you safe from Kate and Leslie tomorrow morning? Wouldn't want to be in YOUR hip waders! You've stepped in it DEEP! :rofl::yes::yes::rofl::lightning::hairraise:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back